Euro 2024- Lamine Yamal:Wonderkid

Iā€™d say heā€™s working for RTE since 2010. I seem to remember him saying that England would beat the Germans in the round of 16 at that tournament. Dunphy took him under his wing around that time.

1 Like

He was an interesting fresh perspective originally but I think that has definitely worn off by now and he seems to have been infected by the same negativity that Ronnie Whelan & Richie Sadlier embody.

I think we should look for someone new & exotic.

Heā€™s there a lot longer than that.

1 Like

Remember theyā€™d Ozzie Ardiles on for a World Cup and he didnā€™t have great English.

Iā€™d say hamman enjoyed being on the beer with dunphy and prob got well looked after.

When men were men

I think its fair to say Didi is Irelands favourite German.

Germany 1 up

Jesus I think that goal was very harshly wiped off.

This goal appears to have been undone

Did whelan really call him Andy robbo ?

Thatā€™s my recollection of when he started doing RTE panels too.

RTE would often bring in an ā€œoutside the boxā€ panellist for World Cups or Euros. Ossie Ardiles as referenced here, Graeme Souness, Trevor Steven, John Toshack I think may have done Euros punditry in 2000, Hope Solo for the 2018 World Cup.

Socrates was a big missed opportunity for RTE in this regard as he would have had time to tell some stories about his time studying medicine in Dublin and playing off the bench in a Sigerson Cup game, and Iā€™m sure like Didi he would have found the beer in Dublin much to his liking. He could have perhaps even put in a few relief shifts down in St. Vincentā€™s before walking up Nutley Lane for punditry duties on Brazil v Costa Rica.

Joseph Nā€™Do was a budget version of this for the 2022 World Cup but I donā€™t know why they havenā€™t stuck with him as heā€™s basically a budget home grown option at this stage who can bring something a bit different to your Alan Cawleys and Pat Fenlons. Unlike them, heā€™s actually played it, as somebody once said.

Have we heard from Stephen Alkin at all at this tournament? I donā€™t recall him being on commentary for any of the games so far.

2 Likes

Ya Joseph ndo was very good. What happened on there?

Trevor Stevenā€™s probably got in when they started showing the spl.

RTE probably think Joey only played in the World Cup so wouldnā€™t be qualified to comment on the Euros, unlike previous Euros stars Alan Cawley, Pat Fenlon and Stuey Byrne (I like Stuey).

Then again being an actual star at the Euros doesnā€™t automatically make you a pundit you want to listen to, as the RTE co-commentator weā€™re currently listening to is demonstrating.

Hope Solo was box office

1 Like

Joey has become a regular fixture for Cameroon games since 2014. He was on for their games at that tournament too. Donā€™t think they qualified in 2018 so he had an 8 year hiatus before his niche role became available again. It could become a lovely little tradition if Cameroon make it to the US in 2026.

1 Like

Brad Friedel did one tournament at a minimum

1 Like

What are you smoking? This is Scotland in a major tournament. Itā€™s written in the stars that they fail heroically. Most likelyba draw, so they finish 3rd but still fail to advance. If Scotland score Hungary will equalise with 15 mins to go.

Ballsā€¦what a miss.

You could cut the sexual tension with a knife when she was in studio. It was like if Molly Martens had been brought in as an analyst. Hope Solo had just had a long running domestic violence case against her dropped. Sheā€™s since run into further charges which as of time of writing of this post I havenā€™t followed up to see how they worked out.

The lads didnā€™t know what to say about the football because they were all scared shitless of her and also they were trying to quell their lad down below for fear he might make his presence felt on camera.

1 Like