European Cup Rugby

Sorry. West stand. I was looking straight at it.

That’s complete rubbish anyway if loads paid yesterday and won’t go again

Saw this earlier. Surprised it wasnt a sell out.
Having said that Munster hurling championship is now prime box office and seems to be winning the hearts and minds of the casual viewers. I heard 2 people commenting on the handpass vs throw debate yesterday that I’m pretty sure have never been to a game before.

Conan must have had that on his e-wall for motivation yesterday. Played like a man possessed.

When Baird first came to prominence at U20 I assumed he was an Ulster player given his name.
You’d have thought the same with Sam Prendergast which would be a typical Munster name. These days you’re as well off to assume that 90% of the prospects are from the Leinster academy.

1 Like

What do you mean?

Why is he comparing to LOI? They have access to the stadium just as much as Leinster do.

As for media coverage, the European Cup was on pay tv for a decade+ exclusively while RTÉ were still airing the Champions League and LOI.

He went to High School for a bit so he could well be COI.

I mean you might get away with high pricing occasionally but it isn’t a great long term sustainable way to grow the games audience

Dad might have promised the kids he’d bring them and took the hit yday. He might not promise next year. Ridiculous price for a club game IMO

Edit…I was at AI hurling semi last yr and two adults and two kids was 120 quid.

The stadium in Limerick was 40% empty yesterday. They play about 6 home games a season there

It wasn’t that far off last year too.

Too many games for sure and the pricing was nuts but it paid off for them.

Yesterday

Yep and the majority already have their tickets for the final along with people having expensive World Cup trips booked. Heck it is like a crazy price for England World Cup warm up game.

It’s a golden goose that they haven’t killed yet. I don’t necessarily have an issue with the price but the volume of games is crazy.

You live in Dublin though, and did you have to pay for kids to go with you? So I completely get why ‘you’ might not have an issue with the price. But that’s not the point

I do have an issue with the price but would say for a special occasion it is a price that can be justified by many. For example, I think if Munster had got there that it would have filled up largely because they haven’t had the volume of “big games” that Leinster have in the last couple of years.

I think the problem is more the other games. I can’t see how a URC quarter final can be justified as an extra game next week. I find it particularly difficult to justify given how easy so many league games are for Leinster.

There is far too much rugby on generally. One thing that has happened in the last few years as that the number of “regular” season league games has been cut by 2/3 (Pro14 regular season is now 18 games and not 21 and there is only two home European games) but they’ve just added more playoff games which they charge on top of season tickets.

I’d personally reorganise European rugby into a two conference system of UK&I and then a “Top 14” of France/Italy. Play 16 games in your conference and two out of conference games. There’s then a playoffs of 3-4 rounds like the NFC/AFC so the French can keep their Top 14 championship and then we have a Super Bowl between the UK&I and French/Italian winner. You’d be cutting out 5-6 match weekends a year with that put have higher quality fixtures and talent spread more evenly.

1 Like

Joe molly mentioned Aviva fatigue as a reason why the Leinster fans didn’t show up :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Who wouldn’t be sick of that place and fans walking in and out for pints and the shit music they pump in.

Sure the attendance was higher than the same fixture last year. Not sure why people are making such a big deal out of it.

1 Like

‘Twas only a six day turn around.

Leinster fans were plenty smug about attendances in Thomond park for a long time.

2 Likes

True but also the first post COVID knockout phase in Europe with cheaper prices.

47k was a pretty good attendance all told, it likely generated the EPCR a lot of cash that will flow back to the IRFU and Irish rugby as a whole.

The problem will be next week, not helped by the fact that the game can’t be in the RDS.

I hope you had your Limerick jersey on.