European Cup Rugby

Toys thrown fully out of the pram.

It’s gas though. It’s the same manor of the defeat for Ireland and Leinster now but it’s a complete refusal to accept things could be done differently.

I see a few coming for neinbar now as well. I don’t get the obsession with South Africa all off a sudden.

Munster done that for five years or so and it was a disaster.

Two World Cups in a row?

1 Like

Yes but have you seen the size of their players. It won’t work with Irish lads. We just don’t have that type of player.

We should be learning from everyone of course but trying to replicate South Africa just doesn’t work in my opinion anyway.

Sure most of what Munster have tried over the last 15 or so years has been a disaster. Unable to adapt to changes in the game, unable to develop players, all the money wasted on Thomond Park around the time the “fans” lost interest and constantly blaming the coaches when they don’t get the results Munster seem to think they are owed.

It’s a basket case of a club, Rassie and Neinaber both got out of there and guided SA to back to back RWCs. I don’t think they exactly held Munster back.

1 Like

And imagine, even with all that going on, still the most recent irish winners of silverware.

2 Likes

It’s more the signing of players.

Jenkins was bad at Munster and he ends up in Leinster.

There’s been plenty of others. I’ve no doubt Rassie is a genius and a serious man manager but I just don’t see the obsession with them being a good thing for Irish rugby or Leinster.

Your man van gran was a disaster for Munster too.

I think when the pub drinkers stopped respecting the silence for penalty takers in tv in Thomond park. it all started to go downhill.

Aside from winning the URC last year

Most clubs would bite your hand off for Munsters level of failure

Correct they won the URC last year after scraping past a 2nd string Leinster team. If Leinster had taken the game more seriously they would have won it. It was a massive screw-up by Leinster.

1 Like

There’s nothing to suggest that really. Leinster generally bottle big knockout games against a tuned in decent opposition. If they’d put out their “first” team they’d also have been dealing with fatigue.

1 Like

How you do explain the 8 league titles, four Heineken Cups and the Challenge Cup win then? That’s a lot of finals to win.

1 Like

Apologies I thought you were talking about last year’s game.

1 Like

I was talking about last year’s semi. We should have gone stronger in hindsight but we had the Euro final coming up. It’s hard to balance so many knockout games across both competitions as we’ve shown in the last two seasons.

Is it possible though resting players at every opportunity is not a good idea?

Again this year they split the squad heading to South Africa. A very strange decision.

I couldn’t think of a better idea to get a squad together than touring South Africa.

It literally turned munster inside out last year.

Leinster are nearly ruled by a book but that doesn’t all work out.

Ok. I don’t understand your post then. There’s nothing to suggest Leinster would have won that game. Every time they come up against a decent team in a knockout game they lose, consistently.

I think we would have won if we put out a stronger team.

There’s a fair element of truth in that. Northampton and Ulster weren’t stellar final opponents. Leicester were a fading force in 2009. The semi-final victories against Munster in 2009 and Clermont in 2012 are probably the standout European results. Even the 2018 final against Racing Metro would’ve gone south but for a Teddy Thomas capitulation.

I don’t really agree with Jamie Heaslip’s assertion that Leinster were clearly the better team. They were very fortunate to still be within a score of Toulouse at half-time and never really led at all from pillar to post. It felt like they were chasing the game throughout. The attack lacked a creative spark without Ringrose and the support runners weren’t of the quality required. Doris and McCarthy making lung bursting runs just to end up being turned over with no support whatsoever.

Surely Leo Cullen walks at this stage. Involved as Leinster coach 10 seasons now and only 1 European Cup to show for it in an era where they’ve had the strongest selection in Europe for the last 6/7 years of that. He may only be laying out the cones but at some stage he has to acknowledge that he’s taking coin from his own province while restricting their potential. He is the face of Leinster rugby after all. He can’t be exonerated of all blame.

8 Likes

The unbridled arrogance, never far to be found.

Never change Leinster fans, never change.

1 Like

Sure that’s another trophy to add to the pile so

Leinster are fast morphing into the Buffalo Bills of rugby.

1 Like