Eurovision 2008 - Official Build Up Thread

The form of the split is crucial obviously.

I’m all for the return of the juries and I’d like to see them with more than 50% of the voting power to be honest. But the organisers will be keen on transparency so the easiest and most understandable methodology would be a 50/50 split.

Then it all comes down to the make up of the jury. Who’s going to decide that? We could end up with a gang from Bosnia/Croatia/Macedonia etc who are all in cahoots in voting for Irina Koznihavolenskakakakaka. They possibly need a completely independent jury to decide upon the jury which will actually adjudicate - maybe a delegation from South America, Africa and Asia/Pacific.

I had presumed it was a return to national juries voting. So you could still have partisanship I suppose but it didn’t happen in the past and the hope is that professionals would have more respect for the competition.

Some signs of sense at last. But like Jugs and Rocko have said, I’ll be awaiting for confirmation of the jury/public vote split and make-up of the jury before I give it an unreserved thumbs up. The likes of Marc Roberts will be boosted by this but only if our National Song Contest returns to a jury based set up too. There’s no point in Europe sorting out the shambles if we’re still going to allow the public to send novelty acts to the competition instead of the 1997 runner-up, who missed out to Dustin last May.