Eurovision 2008 - Official Build Up Thread

Itā€™s getting very close now, the tension is palpable.

Dustin is gone out to 14s. Now is the time to get on.

Was a good performance from Dustin but the crowd at the end turned on him. Id fear for his saftey at this stage.

GO ON YA GOOD THINK YA

Dustin is a legend - fook them all if they boo him. The competition is a jokeā€¦

Hereā€™s Dustinā€™s wikipedia page - never knew he was voiced by the brother of one of the guys who does Zig and Zag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_the_turkey

Dustin is outā€¦

Good stuff

Shocking. Europe can feck off. Ireland shouldnt have to qualify.

Iā€™m definitely voting no on Lisbon now, fook Europe!

I kept my silence on this issue out of respect to the democratic mandate of the Irish people but by God am I delighted that little shit didnā€™t qualify for the final. I made my opposition to Dustin very clear before the national contest and thankfully I stuck to my guns (unlike flip-flop Bandage who threw his lot in behind Dustin while the vol au vents were still warm at the funeral for Irish music that was Eurosong 2008).

I never like to see Ireland suffer embarrassment and I donā€™t like to wish ill on our country but that was not something to be proud of last night. Back in the death throes of Stanā€™s reign at Ireland there was a bit of debate around the internet and elsewhere about whether it would be unpatriotic to hope Ireland lose to Cyprus for the good of the game longer term. That was a moral conundrum for many people but last night there was no dilemna for me. That puppet was not representing me or our proud Eurovision tradition. Johnny Logan, Bill Graham, Dana (National), Linda Martin, Charles McGettigan, Paul Harrington, Niamh Kavanagh, Eimear Quinn - how they deserved so much more. And the others who gave so much to this contest over the years like Bagatelle, Jump The Gun (Fingalā€™s finest), Donna and Joe. That was no way to repay their contribution to Irish music.

The Eurovision nearly died last night but the people of Europe saved us with a cold dose of reality. Let no puppet nor novelty act nor cabaret performer ever grace our hallowed stage again in the name of progress. We are Ireland. We are the Eurovision. And by God will we win it with a pop anthem again.

[quote=ā€œtherock67ā€]I kept my silence on this issue out of respect to the democratic mandate of the Irish people but by God am I delighted that little shit didnā€™t qualify for the final. I made my opposition to Dustin very clear before the national contest and thankfully I stuck to my guns (unlike flip-flop Bandage who threw his lot in behind Dustin while the vol au vents were still warm at the funeral for Irish music that was Eurosong 2008).

I never like to see Ireland suffer embarrassment and I donā€™t like to wish ill on our country but that was not something to be proud of last night. Back in the death throes of Stanā€™s reign at Ireland there was a bit of debate around the internet and elsewhere about whether it would be unpatriotic to hope Ireland lose to Cyprus for the good of the game longer term. That was a moral conundrum for many people but last night there was no dilemna for me. That puppet was not representing me or our proud Eurovision tradition. Johnny Logan, Bill Graham, Dana (National), Linda Martin, Charles McGettigan, Paul Harrington, Niamh Kavanagh, Eimear Quinn - how they deserved so much more. And the others who gave so much to this contest over the years like Bagatelle, Jump The Gun (Fingalā€™s finest), Donna and Joe. That was no way to repay their contribution to Irish music.

The Eurovision nearly died last night but the people of Europe saved us with a cold dose of reality. Let no puppet nor novelty act nor cabaret performer ever grace our hallowed stage again in the name of progress. We are Ireland. We are the Eurovision. And by God will we win it with a pop anthem again.[/quote]

Deliberate irony with the part in bold?!

I saw Dustinā€™s performance last night before astro footie and I actually thought weā€™d get through based on the comedy of the thing and the colour and ott nature of the stage show.

Pretty funny it got wholeheartedly booed by the Serbian versions of Rocko.

There was a decent 30-minute long documentary on before it about Dustin where he had some good lines:

ā€˜Thereā€™s one man who sums up what Eurovisionā€™s all about for me and thatā€™s Linda Martin.ā€™

Dustin breaks his silence in The Independent today.

''I urge my fans across Europe to be dignified in defeat. I do not want street riots."

Poland gets my vote. Only one Iā€™ve seen, sheā€™d get it.

Song was atrocious though.

Armenia was my fave. :cool:

I see Ireland gave Uk 8 points and Poland 10. Niamh Kavanagh really let herself go. Does she still work in a bank? :confused:

[quote=ā€œAppendageā€]Poland gets my vote. Only one Iā€™ve seen, sheā€™d get it.

Song was atrocious though.[/quote]

Typical.

Is Poland not the ā€˜ladyā€™ whoā€™s inspired by Dana International?

Appendage makes me ill.

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]Typical.

Is Poland not the ā€˜ladyā€™ whoā€™s inspired by Dana International?

Appendage makes me ill.[/quote]

? Say it isnā€™t so.

I now feel sick. Isis Gee - what a ridicuous name. Iveno Gee would be more appropriate if Bandage is to be believed.

Itā€™s just a rumour I heard.

Iā€™m off to google the bollox out of her.

Not literally though.

I hope Terry Wogan sticks by his word and refuses to present next years Euromuck Contest. A true British Gentleman if ever there was one!

The end of tactical voting from the Eastern Bloc. Here here.

"It has been announced that juries are to return to next yearā€™s Eurovision Song Contest, following criticism of tactical voting by former eastern bloc countries.

The contest has been criticised as politically-motivated because of the decision by some countries to vote together.

Now it has been announced that the 2009 final, due to take place in Moscow, will feature votes from viewers as well as a jury.

AdvertisementThis year Irelandā€™s entry, performed by Dustin, failed to make it past the semi-final stage of the contest.

Sir Terry Wogan had threatened to quit the BBC commentating job he has held for 37 years because of the repeated tactical voting.

He had called for a return to juries to judge the contest after Russia won this yearā€™s contest. Russia received the maximum 12 points from former Soviet states Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Belarus and Armenia, as well as Israel.

Ruurd Bierman, chairman of the Eurovision reference group, said: "We strongly believe in televoting as a way of measuring the opinion of our millions of viewers across Europe.

ā€œAfter the public debate about neighbour and diaspora voting, we decided to give the national juries a say in the outcome of the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest.ā€

Svante Stockselius, executive supervisor of the Eurovision Song Contest, said: "Nothing is more democratic than the vote of the public.

ā€œBut a jury takes the opportunity to listen to the songs several times, before they make up their minds. In Belgrade, we saw a difference in judgment of the public and the back-up juries, and we believe a combination will make the show more interesting.ā€

The exact form of the jury/public vote split is yet to be decided."

A welcome change. Now all we need is the dream partnership of Healy and Logan to reunite and we can all rock it out with our cocks out again in Millstreet.