Faldo's DIY General thread

what fuck acting were you doing in the jacks to loosen a tile? Aim at the centre of the bowl in future will you?

One by the door just a little loose. I’ll get away with piping filler into it and smoothing it off I’d say.

It was bad enough when we bought the place five years ago and gradually got worse.

1 Like

Unless you want to do the whole floor I would strongly advise against putting screws in, it will loosen other tiles along the way. But a tube of tec 7,a bit of grout and you will do it yourself in 15 mins no hassle

2 Likes

Yeah a I’ve no intention of using screws.

I’ve seen this lots in a previous life, often the loose tile(s) will be at the point where the plywood sheets meet, not enough screws and too much movement as a consequence, putting a couple of screws in won’t do any damage, the adhesive will allow for a little bit of movement
The tec7 is a new product I’d say so I can’t comment, I’d assume you’d be better off mixing up a small bit of flexible adhesive though? He’ll need to mix up a bit of grout anyway

Tec7 is dark matter, anything it touches is stuck for all eternity.

5 Likes

I understand where you are coming from with some wanker not putting enough screws in, in the first place but if he goes putting screws down not knowing what he’s at it could cause a lot more problems.
Tec 7 would stick a chair to the walla nice few dabs of this under the tile, mix a tiny bit of grout and the job is done in 15 mins. That’s the DIY handy and best way out of it, otherwise just pay a builder to do it

3 Likes

I had a different plumbing emergency in the meantime the fucking element in the Immersion went wallop so plumber came out to replace it…he turned on the shower to see was my (TFK) diagnosis correct… He just said shower is fucked. He won’t bother toreplace it til I get a water sfotener sorted so that’s my next job…

How much would an under the sink water softening unit cost

2 Likes

Tec7 will sort it alright, but it isn’t available in every colour.

Jaysus it never rains but it pours… I have an undersink water softener unit myself but it was here when I bought the house so I couldn’t accurately give you a price. I’d say you’d be looking at 500 notes at least.

I’d bite the hand off you if I thought I’d get out the gap for 500 for the water softener

As an aside. Plumbers are hard to come by. Rang a fella who was recommended to me and he said no chance… But gave me some friendly advice… Don’t tell the next fella you want the Immersion fixed, it’s a small job that isn’t worth it’s whole on its own for a call out.

So I rang the next fella that was recommended and he was out the following day. He has fixed the Immersion, serviced the oil boiler and is working up a quote for a wet room in the master bedroom :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

9 Likes

In the bedroom or the ensuite? This is interesting

1 Like

:joy::joy: The en suite

Give me €300 and I’ll be round tomorrow. Don’t touch anything as you could burn down the house by not putting the tile back in the proper sequence.I wouldn’t even sleep there tonight just in case.

2 Likes

That man got skills

No problem.

We’re at Flat 7a, Sheriff Street, Dublin 1.

Dont bother knocking, come in through any window at all

2 Likes

The boom is back baby

1 Like

What kind of a shithole of a house did you buy? You’re on here every month with a disaster to fix.

4 Likes

It sounds like a death trap. Like something from the liberties during the slums

1 Like

Putting a water softener under the sink isn’t going to do anything for your shower. You’d need a softener on the mains supply. Serious bucks.

I’d seek out more local knowledge here from a neighbour. A local builder or somebody like that. See what other solutions are in the locality if ye have a serious hard water problem.

1 Like