Faldo's DIY General thread

The ones under the sink are only mickey mouse stuff. Only do the tap in the sink really

1 Like

In the quantities you use it, you must store it in a drum outside?

8 Likes

What?

What are you trying to say?

I’ve already said too much.

Right

Has she a nose ring?

4 Likes

I’m delighted that you were so rattled that you ran off to find a plumber or dreamt up that conversation to continue an argument from 24 hrs ago.

You’re still wrong by the way. Majority of houses including town houses are routed through the sink so that plumbers know where to turn it off in case of emergency. Call into the planning office there this afternoon and get their views on it. I’ll check in again for you tomorrow.

2 Likes

Lads I’ve to fit 2 light fittings that have been hanging around for years. Fuck off monstrous IKEA ones. They are heavy enough. The diagram shows a cup hook delightfully hung just close to the 2 wires to take the weight.

Obviously that’s not really the case with the fitting that’s there at the moment.

I have a couple of questions.
Firstly can I just buy a cup hook and screw it up in the middle of the fitting there (small gap of plaster) or am I likely to hit wires and short circuit the entire house?
Secondly, would that take the weight of the fitting? Or would the plaster give way after a while? Lampshade is not crazy heavy.

Light fittings are normally fitted on a joist with a hole made beside the joist to run the wires down to the fitting. So if your electrician did a good job the two screws holding up that fitting should be screwed into the joist. In reality you’d normally be lucky if the sparky puts one secure screw into the joist and the other just into the plaster board.

You can normally look up through the hole and see where the joist is. You can then figure out which way its running and get your hook in to it securely. You could also use one of those joist sensors if you can borrow one.

Obviously isolate the fitting at the fuse board before poking around up there.

1 Like

You need to get the hook securely into the joist.

2 Likes

If I don’t get a joist sensor can I successfully guess it by tapping and listening to the sound? Like some sort of joist whisperer? Hole is tiny cant see much. And why are there so many fucking wires?

1 Like

Only one way to find out kid. Make sure and take photos

1 Like

No.

If it’s going to be covered anyway I’d just make the hole bigger

Or drill a hole with a small bit in a covered area.

Or drill a small hole and screw in a screw. If you hit solid timber you’ll know about it.

1 Like

You’ll have to ask the electrician who wired it about the wires. They are just loops. Just remember exactly where you took the existing light fitting wires out of.

1 Like

To make this easy on yourself … Is the cup on the new light big enough to cover the fitting already on the ceiling?

Yes. But it doesn’t screw on or anything. It’s just held up by the bit the cuphook is on.

There should be a grub screw on it.

Unscrew the fitting from the ceiling without removing any wire to have a good look at what is there with the joist. It won’t be centred in the joist but will be offset. A big cup on the new light would get you over that without much bother but a small cup will mean opening s space to push that fitting above the ceiling slab and then putting in a hook. Try to avoid having to rewire

2 Likes

Is this the grub screw ?