Faldo's DIY General thread

It may be time to call your father in law.
(See @Rocko)

The grub screw should be on the new light fitting.

Don’t fuck round with electricity or plumbing if you don’t know what you are doing

2 Likes

Booooooring :yawning_face:

1 Like

That’s the screw holding the fitting to the joist. Is there two of those screws?

Just one. And a small area beside it where I could fit a cup hook. It sounds fairly solid as well…

RIP @Juhniallio.

I leave my Berlingo to @carryharry and my paddy power account to @BruidheanChaorthainn

3 Likes

Well drill a small pilot hole there so and if you see saw dust come out then you’re laughing.

I texted a man about 20 mins ago!. Thanks a million for all your help. It was key in deciding this job wasnt for me.

1 Like

Good to hear it. A couple of my work colleagues were explaining a live feed for a lighting circuit today and I realised I had not told you to flip the circuit breaker

gents, im having serious troubles with broadband connectivity; ive had at least 5 lads out from Eir wholesale over the last few years and the last time they sent a pair of ould lads to look at it. these lads knew what they were at and we’ve established that the issue isnt from the connection to the eir network and is probably down to an internal wiring issue.

the question then is how much would it cost to just get the internet/phone cabling rewired possibly to cat 6 cable and what companies provide this sort of service?

I’m still in a copper pair area but should be getting fibre in the next 18 months so I’d like to have the connectivity issue removed.

thanks in advance

Most electricians would do that.
All they are doing is pulling a cable from where you want your router to a drop point where the line will come in. Just note with the Fiber they need to install a bit of gear where the cable comes in so you will need a power source there as well.

Obviously a bigger job if you want to start putting points in each room.

1 Like

If you want I could have a go at wiring it? When the house burns down you’ll easily build a new one with good connections on the insurance.

1 Like

im certainly not ruling this out!!

All you can do is call in a company that is capable of doing it and get a quote. Pulling wires through an existing house is a seriously disruptive business. Depending on what you want and how well you want to hide them, it can be seriously expensive also.

This is the reason why wifi is so popular. CAT6e (at this stage) is of course faster and better.

1 Like

When you get Fibre they run a line into the house themselves. Or at least they did in mine.

1 Like

They will only put it within a meter of the entry point though, so if you want it somewhere else you will need to have a drop point within a meter of where it comes in.

Sure once it’s inside the door and working would he not be happy?

This is true.

I know a guy got his house wired with CAT6 and wanted the modem put in point X, only to be told that wasn’t possible. His planned entry point was too near the mains power lines. He had to replan and run more CAT6.

if thats the case I may suck it for now and then recable when the fibre arrives

Well if you’re doing up a room in the mean time, they’d be no harm getting that room wired. Ideally you’d get the provider in beforehand to advise you how to prepare it neatly and properly. Unfortunately they haven’t time to do that. They just want to hit the house on the day and do it their way, leaving an untidy mess.

Your only bet is to go to houses locally previously wired by that company and have a look and gather advice. Ideally knowing an installation guy, but that’s unlikely I suppose.