Faldo's DIY General thread

Oh ya. I did that. Put it back up to the requisite pressure level and no joy.

Look in your hot press and there should be a dial with numbers on it

That’s probably it. There’s a gauge on the boiler I’d imagine with a scope between 1-5.
If it’s reading 1 you need to fill the system via the relative valve.

Have you thermostats down the house for heating 1 and heating 2?

Right. I’m away off up to take a look

Ya. Whacked them up to the last

:+1::+1:

Ok the expansion vessel is in the utility not by the boiler. And its level is 2

I might as well be a goat looking in at a field of thistles lads

1 Like

So there’s sufficient water in the system. Leave 1 radiator open downstairs and start or follow the regular procedure for starting the heating system. If this fails you’ll have to consider options:

Burn house.

Is it a Baxi?

Ferroli.

She must be air-locked. What Boxty says is good. Turn off everything upstairs including the cylinder. Force the flow downstairs. If that doesn’t work try bleed the rad downstairs closest to to the boiler. Problem is you’ll need to bleed off a lot of water to remove an air-lock. If that rad starts to get warm then move to the next one and so on. This is where it gets messy as bleeding off buckets of water is slow. A plumber would pop the fitting off the rad and hose it outside.

1 Like

There’s a pressure valve (inline stainless screw in a @Copper_pipe) underneath the boiler that tops up the system to drive the heat around and back. I haven’t read the wholes story… but do you heat both water and rads independently when its working normally?

Yeah, theres a separate switch for water and rads. Water and heating 2 working grand. Heating 1, downstairs isn’t even kicking in at the boiler

I’d imagine you’ve a sludge problem. Easy but messy to remedy. Have you a power hose?

I have

1 Like

Is that a manual hand lever or an electrical switch?

Electric

Well that could be your problem so. Or the PCB driving it. You may have heard it clicking in and out before when you were switching it over. I wouldn’t advise poking around in there unless you know what you are doing as its probably a 230VAC valve.

Often they will stick after not switching for a long while (like over the summer). A little tap with the handle of a screwdriver can get them going again. Again we’re getting in dodgy territory here.

1 Like