Faldo's DIY General thread

A leak under dishwasher maybe

I’d say it was due to expansion more than likely… Are they ceramic?

Yea

Definitely looked like expansion but would that be common enough when they down that long. My next problem is getting match on the tiles. They 15 year old. I went to the very big tile place where previous owner got them and they dont do them either in colour or style.

Ya down to that so. When were they laid? If there wasn’t enough of a gap or slip left due to the drop in temp that would cause it especially if they wasn’t enough or much adhesive between the tile and the concrete

1 Like

Laid 15 years ago when house was built. Can I just tile straight down on top again?
Any tips on where to get a rare tile like them?

You could but there will be a height difference between the rooms

It’s very rare a tile would be in production for 15 years, even if it was it would be quite different in shade etc, have you a box or a name??
You should have no issue tiling over them though it sounds from the problem you had that it mightn’t be too difficult to get them up with a crowbar which is the preferred option.
It’s a strange one though, the temperatures must have been close to freezing to cause that so quickly, any pictures?

I’d take them up chief. Did a job on a lads kitchen last year where I’d to take the tile up. They were laid down on top of tiles that were there for years… I used a kango with a flat blade. I put a timber floor down as replacement. I’m not a tiler but I wouldn’t recommend tiling over tiles. If it’s not overly big space it would take long to take them up

3 Likes

Heating off for a few days cause that? Never heard of it to happen.

Lads, a hammer drill and you’ll pop the old tiles out in 10 minutes.

A nice light kango with a spade bit will take them up in no time

1 Like

Very rare but I’ve seen it happen before, all were ceramic tile tho

Sorry I didn’t mean lay them down on the existing ones I meant in the space where the broken ones were. The broken tiles just lifted up easily as well as 3 intact ones. I’ve them put away now will put up a pic later of the gap. What should I do about getting replacements is it just a matter of finding as close a match as I can by trial and error?

That’s about the size of it, take a piece around to some tile shops and hope for the best,
I used to work in that field (laying and selling) and I’ll tell you that it’s a massive long shot that you’ll find it, but you’ll probably get something close, it’ll look shit unfortunately.
But if you clear the shit away and it’s dry you can tile in the gap, try to get a dark grey grout to match what’s down, it’ll do you for a while though I suppose

1 Like

Would putting back down the cracked bits and the 3 intact ones look better than getting new ones that don’t match?

Could you just put in three different ones and make some kind of a feature of it?

A little tiny island maybe?

1 Like

Sounds delightful!!

Ha ha… I don’t know but I am sure they would have some ideas in shop…

1 Like