Faldo's DIY General thread

:+1: Judging by the prices they should be extinct​:joy:

I don’t think so but not sure how to find out either

Yeah last 2 houses I worked in were waiting weeks for a tiler

Homebase sold those tiles years ago if I’m not mistaken. They’ve shops in various towns but it’ll be a long shot. Any tiler charging over €20 m2 is an extortionist. Good luck.

1 Like

€18/sq yd is the going rate.

2 Likes

When your heating is back on now, does the gap where those tiles were get warm? Central heating pipework would dry out a floor quickly, maybe too quickly. Did your dishwasher spill in November or December?

If you knock on each tile on the floor (for consistency knock the dots of a five on a dice), do any of them sound hollow? Gaps in the adhesive means they are unsupported and will flex/crack with traffic. Worse if wet and dried repeatedly as above.

Do the existing tiles continue under the cupboards or fridge to lift a few spares?

3 Likes

Are Homebase still going in Ireland. Closed the one in fonthill recently

1 Like

What’s the going rate for labour in putting down laminate or engineered hard wood floors? Similar rate per sq metre as a tiler or is it a bit less as they aren’t as intricate to lay?

Anyone could do laminate.
You’d get a share of it done in a day if you were anyway handy.
All you’d need is a chop saw.

4 Likes

Not as expensive as tiles, be prepared to pay about 15-20 per square metre though,
It’s easy to say that anybody could do it and they probably could but time is money I suppose and the first time it’s very daunting

I’m genuinely shocked that in this day and age a grown man would consider having someone come in to put down laminate. The work itself is child’s play, and money doesn’t even come into this. It’s about having a small bit of pride in your ability to DIY.

3 Likes

Anyone that played with Lego as a kid can do click lock laminate flooring. There’s nothing daunting about it, unless you have curved walls, etc. And only then it moves from easy to mildly tricky.

1 Like

Look mate, it’s not a problem for me, I’ve been doing it for years,

But lots of people aren’t handy and would be worried about laying their own floor, i saw it hundreds of times when i was in that game, you’d say that to a fella (you’d do it yourself no problem) and you’d see the worry creep in as the missus looked at him.
And traditional glued laminate isn’t any more tricky, just takes a tiny bit longer. I wouldn’t judge anyone for hiring somebody to do the job.

1 Like

You should. They’re less of a man than the rest of us.

It’s a time versus cost decision. I have 4 bedrooms and a upstairs hall to floor and would like it done before we move in properly come the middle of the month. Had a man over this morning who quoted me €2500 for just under 60 sq metre of flooring and carpetting of the stairs. That is for materials and labour.

I reckon the flooring, underlay etc would cost me close to €1500. Add in the price of carpet i think it is reasonable. I could save maybe €500 doing it myself but it would be piecemeal in the evenings and weekends and would have to rent chop saw and nail gun for the skirting and architrave which would be further expense.

In terms of cost benefit analysis I’d rather spend the €500 I’d save to have the upstairs completely finished by the end of next week than having to spend my own free time doing it when I have other stuff which I can get done which doesn’t require as much of my time to complete.

7 Likes

Laminate - €10-12 per sq m
Semi-Solid - €15-20 per sq m

3 Likes

Piece of piss

1 Like

Lads couldn’t be wasting their evenings doing a bit of DIY when there’s an awful lot of “Best Player in Position X” type online polls to be done.

1 Like

I save that for the working day, i’d rather spend the couple of hours i have in the evening between finishing work and my baby goes to bed with said baby rather than putting down flooring.

3 Likes

I tiled the bathroom in the last house I lived in. I did a grand job and thought I was the whole man with my tile cutter, grout and dividers. Took me forever but I was proud of it. The next tiling job, I got a pro in, Geoffrey, on the recommendation of a friend. Geoffrey would pull up to the house in a large Mercedes wearing a suit and tie. He would change out of the suit and tie into his overalls and proceed to tile for the day. At the end of the day he would change back into the suit and tie and drive off in his Mercedes.
Geoffrey did a super job.

11 Likes