Faldo's DIY General thread

I’m fucking freaking out here, I went out to the kitchen there and knocked on a few tiles and there’s loads of the bastard things hollow! When should I expect my floor to start exploding??

A combination of a badly laid concrete floor and badly laid tiles on our kitchen meant I spent an entire Paddy’s weekend 2010 taking up the tiles across three rooms.

We had a good lad in doing a rebuild of the kitchen and dining room. He put down half a dozen bags of compound and we have been ok since. One small crack at a door but it has not moved in years.

It was the worst building or DIY job I ever did.

I am in the middle of resolving a leaking shower above a corner of the kitchen this past two weeks. No fun but a.lot easier than the tiles

1 Like

Levelling compound is greatly underestimated and fecked without it

2 Likes

Ah it is hardly underestimated. It is great stuff

1 Like

Dunno I was on a job in the summer, buddies house, floor was fucked I advised a few bags, no way would he put the paw in the pocket, lashed down a load of mortar, looked highly piggily, awful

What went on top of the mortar, tiles?

1 Like

Yep

Hope they were cheap tiles

He started out putting tiles on tiles, then gave up, steel fixer, rough as fuck, but sound, bit of Cavan in him, he’d me painting mdf using that shite as architrave and skirting board

I don’t think so, the wife choose them, looked fine, think the original guy never levelled at all 15-20 yrs ago

1 Like

I’ve had that affliction for longer than I should. I attempted a repair - fail. I took it out entirely, tanked it, siliconed the shit out of it - fail.
I eventually took it out again and relaid the base and about 10" of the wall with fibreglass and Bingo. The tiles don’t exactly match but as its an en-suite who cares?
Fibreglass is your only man.

2 Likes

Fair play, that is a nuisance of a job.

What is Bingo?

Bingo = Huzzah = Winner alright.

2 Likes

New Cheltenham

D’oh. Brandy kicks in

1 Like

All walls, ceilings, skirts, doors, frames and trim painted in 3 bedrooms Mon-Thurs this week including getting the 17 year old to paint his room under my supervision (he did a great job). I’m fucked after it and delighted to be getting back to the garden tomorrow.
Work on Monday, so fuck Dry January, I’m drinking this weekend.

8 Likes

Fitzy junior is 17. Fucking hell lads.

2 Likes

Notify Stephen Kenny quick…

Keep the heating on.
Stop pissing on the floor.

You’ll be grand.

1 Like

No one is more surprised than me.

Kenny would do worse, he’s set for a big season for Wyoming Tigers.

1 Like