Faldo's DIY General thread

I wonder are you over a sinkhole?

Do you have an LG TV?

4 Likes

Insurance can be tricky. With a leak for instance you’ll be covered for the damaged caused by the leak but not for the investigation of where the leak is, or for the repair of the leak. They’ll also be an “excess” I think they call it. So you’ll need to get agreement from the builder before hand to get a higher quote to cover the excess.

A leak is probably your best bet. So in your case for example you’ll need to get receipts for the plumbing repair, the tiles, then the tiler. A photo of the damage caused by the leak would also be a handy thing to have. The accessor will also need to see the damage so no work can progress until you get the go ahead from them.

Obviously you can get the leak sorted straight away before the accessor arrives.

Sorry for delayed response but only remembered this evening. Went and checked and appears I dumped all those spare tiles I’m afraid.

You find alternative solution?

He really needs a friendly plumber who may have before and after shots of a job he’s done.
Insurance companies are going to be flat to the mat with claims, they won’t have time or manpower to check 5% of the raft of potentially incoming claims.*

*May not be legitimate :wink:

1 Like

Have you checked for Radon?

I was gonna go for a RTOTF strategy but most tilers won’t take on a biggish job like that now. Not ‘essential’ enough and too risky apparently

Three of them arrived on at 8am this morning. Expect that they will have the flooring down and stairs carpeted by mid afternoon.

Hopefully can move in come the weekend.

@Corksfinedtboy i am going to have to touch up the paintwork around the skirting boards, can I just apply a bit of paint or do I need to do a bit of prep work or anything else to ensure it blends in right

2 Likes

Are you goin to do that weird shit they do in Limerick and move in on a Friday?

1 Like

Small bit of light and sanding vv light, waterbased under coat, and 2top coats of waterbased satinwood

Short fix, light sand
2 coats of water based s wood,
Average kitchen?
2x20 minutes minus undecorat
Give it an hour to go over it

Corkie seems to have misunderstood your query which I’m presuming refers to the walls.
Assuming you either have left-overs from the original or you know the colour and the manufacturer, get 1.5" brush and touch it up, brushing gently and always working upwards to seamlessly blend into the original. The existing paint is only finished a while, it’ll all be the finest.
If you were to listen to Corkie you’d be needing a complete, whole of house makeover.

2 Likes

Skirting boards AFAIK

I had visions of fr ted trying to get the dint out of the car after reading @Corksfinedtboy reply

4 Likes

If as boxty says you’re on about walls, and they’re painted over a year plus,
If twas me and anything other than white walls, I’d go over them again

No, skirtings are fine it’s the paint work above them which got damaged removing them

1 Like

Well​:joy::joy:around the skirting the skirting boards is kinda impossible, above yes

Ah sorry bud, senior moment