Faldo's DIY General thread

I’d a knee replacement a few months ago

Ouch. General wear and tear?

Sport mainly, had a good few ops on it. Did both Cruciate ligaments etc twice and just made a cunt of it from there… Kept going as long as I could

6 Likes

No better time to get it sorted I suppose

Lovely job. Just be more careful in the future when posting photos of tools with your name on them, OK Stanley?

4 Likes

I made this a couple of years ago. It was one of a pair that could be set against a wall or placed together to make an oval shaped table. I’ve been meaning to make a cabinet to fit underneath, I’m sorry I didn’t make the legs half as thick, they.look completely out of proportion
I cant remember the name of the technique but the top is attached in such a way that it has room to contract or expand width ways, otherwise I’d expect it to split
(I’m really only posting a photo of it to fuck with @iron_mike’s head).

5 Likes

Oh Ruuuby , dont take your love to town

1 Like

Tidy joints chief

1 Like

Tar & Chip, cost per m2, talk to me lads?? What’s an expected cost for this?

Burnt oil and chip is away better

@iron_mike bates his wife? Seriously?!

the actual tar and chip might be the cheapest part of the works. Do you need kerbing to the perimeter to be completed? Make sure you allow for a good stone base and blinding first too. No point putting down a topping layer and it falls away to shit because of a bad base under it. Similarly, depending on the levels on your driveway, you may or may not need a couple of gulleys and some drains. Chances are you wont, but again, no point doing good work if at some stage you end up with a swimming pool at one end of it. If its adjoining doors to your house, aco drains may also be needed.

depending on quantity, but you’d be looking at €15 to €20 or so per m2 excl VAT for the tar and chip only, (rising by about €5/m2 for a tarmac asphalt 80mm base which I think is a better job), and about €15 to €20 per linear metre for precast concrete kerbing haunched in concrete. Stone base and blinding about €5 or 6/m2 depending on depth required and then excavation and removal of the existing surface layer if needed.

5 Likes

Why does tarmac cost so much, is it a monopoly between a few of the cunts?

This is the only job,tar and chip is pure shite

1 Like

dont know really, wouldnt have thought so. There are still plenty of small operators, as well as our ethnic pals who also do it and the main difference in the cost really comes down to the execution and labour aspect of it all. Material cost of it isnt that outrageous really, considering most of the plant and equipment that is required to do it.

2 Likes

This is not for my driveway, it’s for a passage into a property I own that’s in need of repair. The existing passage is 70m long and about 2.5m wide and is kerbed either side about half way in. The existing material is compacted 804 which is now in shit with large potholes on it.

To complicate matters slightly, I do not own the passage, I only have a right of way into my property, but something has to be done with it, it’s shocking. If twas my own I’d have it concreted the whole way in. He usually fills the potholes in once a year with a tonne bag of 804 but sure tis as bad as ever 2 months later. I’ve asked him a few times will we do something proper with it.

Trying to present the owner of the passage with a cheap and cheerful option to do something with the passage which I’m willing to go halves on, so just looking for ballpark figures here.

:see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

I know a place to pick up ripped up road surfacing which would do the trick lovely for that job.

By the sounds of it he’d be a lot better off doing nothing with it… Did your man give you permission to do it?

No, I’m trying to get him to do something with it, I’m willing to go halves. He’s an alright sort who is the type to put stuff on the long finger, the type that’s too busy, in fairness he’s not the odd or contrary type but at the same time passages and rights of way are a tricky bidness