Faldo's DIY General thread

Lime 1 and lime 2.

1 Like

Don’t forget to add in a bit of white cement with it

1 Like

I haven’t heard of fat or poor lime. I threw the odd bag of slaked lime into the cattle house this year and it’s been a total game changer for keeping their feet healthy. There’s also hydraulic lime…and some other kind used to use to clean linseed oil. I’d say I’ve been using the wrong lime for the wrong job while calling it by the wrong name or both…and them this @Massey hoor arrives with his white cement

@anon67715551, what did you use to tidy up the cottage before bringing the missus home in 1956?

4 Likes

We didn’t have a cottage, we were the “landed gentry” types - big old rambling stone dwelling. The homes of the cottiers/tenants who passed on provided beautiful stone that I subsequently used for a modest extension (2,000 ft2) a fine set of piers and walled driveway to the main house.

This wasn’t done in overnight, stone is slow, tedious work that must be done correctly. Worth the effort though. Thanks for the query.

4 Likes

Apologies.

1 Like

:wink: :rofl:

1 Like

He used lime of course.

1 Like

Did you or the tenants ever split rocks and then match them up in the wall…just to show off like? That was a big thing round here

The gillie was on about it for a few weeks. The gardener was vehemently opposed as he regarded it as ostentatious so the matter was shelved.
A smattering here and there is nice, you wouldn’t want to overdo it though.

1 Like

Ah. The gillie. Does, or did he enjoy the music of Tina Turner by any chance?

Lads, going to do a floating bench seating into a block work garden wall. What fixings should I be using? Plan on using treated pine and cladding it.

Handiest/cleanest way to hang a dartboard in a house?

I was thinking of getting a sheet of mdf and putting it on the back of a door. I’d only have 4 holes to cover/patch up on the door then when I remove it. Would MDF be suitable or should i get something else…

You could try hanging the whole wooden board using L brackets if there is room for screws on the top of the door. Or square hooked brackets to take it on and off.

Plywood would be better than mdf.

1 Like

Photos please.
Why would you want to clad a wooden bench?

The treated pine would be just a frame and put a nicer decorative finish

1 drill a 6mm hole, stick in a raw plug, stick in a screw, hang your dart board. If your putting ply up, 2 screws

2 Likes

I’ll be putting up ply to catch the few stray darts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very hard to do a floating seat in a wall. L brackets would be the handiest but won’t look the best. I had to do this for a guy who was very fusy, straight lines etc. Ended up getting a metal frame made up that fixed to the wall and the timber sat on it and hid the frame

1 Like

Most doors are hollow these days but you might find a solid bit of wood at the sides and top.