Faldo's DIY General thread

Lovely work mate. Great for the soul.

1 Like

One thing to watch and I think @Massey alluded to it briefly… With kids playing around there is a risk that they could pull a stone down on top of themselves. You could mix a barrow of concrete and just set the top layer in it. It would still look like a dry stone wall.

All this top layer is set in concrete.

12 Likes

Agreed, a run along the side of the lower levels wouldn’t go astray either once it’s settled a bit.
Doing it after this spot of rain actually ideal.

A robot lawnmower is the next project I’m planning. Probably 2021 before I can afford it but its a good investment. Anyone have one?

1 Like

Any cheap alternative to using restoring oil for decking? Costs a fortune and the decking is old…

Hear good reviews alright, my place isn’t suitable though.

Should be good value to be got at the minute I’d imagine. Dealers stocked up to the hilt & demand weak enough.

Pull it up, throw in skip and lay concrete of tarmac.

Invest in couple of terriers before pulling it up to take out King Rat & his extended family.

7 Likes

Timber Decking was the one of the biggest scams pulled on us irish by builders merchants, we have nowhere near the climate for it and the amount of maintenance and effort is not even near worth it, my advice would be to take it up and put down composite if you can afford it,

3 Likes

I fcukin hate it… Be here since I bought the house… Shed on top of it too… Missus loves it…

Dead right… Its like an ice skating rink for most of year…

2 Likes

Let’s have a photo and we can advise on replacement

Not a chance pal… It would be a one way ticket to the "things that are wrong " thread…

4 Likes

Would you believe i actually done this yesterday. I built a low wall up the back last summer about 18 inches high as the site goes higher the futher back you go from the house.Only problem with a wall that high is the kids are always jumping up on it to get footballs or whatever and loosening the top stones even though i put a screed of concrete on them.Anyways long story short i was plastering a couple of low walls yesterday and mixed way to much in the last batch so a put a mortat screed on top of the concrete so hopefully that’ll hold the top stones.

5 Likes

Part of my lawn at the back of the house drains poorly. At this time of the year it is in poor condition as a result and it takes a few months to get it right. The affected area is about 10 m x 10m…

My question is…how feasible would it be to put sleepers around the area and put in 3 or 4 raised beds in there and cover the grass with bark or similar…to look something like below…

Any suggestions on pitfalls or what prep work youd need to do to the grass before start…would you need to put some form of a membrane down?

Cc @Fitzy

Finished Raised Garden Beds jpg

Is there the potential you are going to push the problem with the drainage somewhere else?

If you throw down raised beds onto pallets as opposed to sleepers perhaps?
Drainage shouldn’t be too much of an issue if it dries up usually.

Bark can so the trick for travel purposes while wet underfoot.
Work away would be my thinking, if you have to look at drainage of area the raised beds won’t worsen it too much.

I dont think so…but I havent a fucking clue.

At the back of my garden there is a line of trees, and a small road that leads into a few farmyards. That road is slightly higher than my garden so the water runs in from it. Its not waterlogged up to my ankles but you wouldn’t cut it with a ride on today

Sleepers are only for border.

In my head plan is square it off with few big sleepers…weed proof membrane inside it…few raised beds within the perimeter of it and bark everywhere inside sleepers…plant flowers or veg or something in raised bed

Feels like something I could manage myself but who knows!!

You need to dig a small channel and put a drainage pipe down, lead it in to a small soakage area. That should clear it up

3 Likes

Sounds like a big job tbh and Im pretty fucking useless