Faldo's DIY General thread

Glenshsne if you can’t get a sander , by hand isn’t all that difficult, just concentrate on the ridges, 2 coats+ covers everything unless you want a top job

The top layer is easy. The bottom layer seems to be waterproof. I promised the wee lassie I’d do her room up. I’m considering putting her up for adoption instead.
I hate everything and everyone.

5 Likes

Naw that’s old paste , when u put water on it it gets greasy?

Walk away from it for an hour or so, sand and I promise you it’s easier then, ( walls have to be bone dry for sanding)

When all is fine and dandy andno ween fosterered out,

Mask off your skirting boards above and at the fl makes it easier for (for glossing), if possible use a waterbased satinwood-no worries ref spillages then

Paste is a sealer , we used to use it on new walls instead of watery emulsion years ago, but it needed sanding then

1 Like

you might come up and sand this when it’s finished

3 Likes

Fuck me, good chippy/blockwork

1 Like

Neat job boy :+1::+1::+1:, do yourself a favour don’t stain / varnish it you’ll regret it, in years to come you’re likely to say"wish to God I’d have glossed it"

1 Like

Very tasty

1 Like

Not quite a DIY question chaps but think this might be the best thread to get pointed in the right direction.

I bought my house in an estate 3 years ago. Over the back wall there was nothing but green fields. Alas, in the meantime this land has been developed bit by bit and the area closest to me is starting housing now.

There is a singular line of large trees that run directly along just outside the back wall of my house and the neighbouring houses. It has been suggested to me that the edge of my site is actually on the far side of these trees but the builders took the easy option of putting the back walls inside the tree line during the build.

A few neighbours have already extended the back garden beyond the tree line but nobody seems to be able to confirm for sure the exact border.

I’m at a stage now where I just want to clarify exactly the border of my site before the area behind is fully developed. If it is the case that I have no more ground, so be it, but at least then I can begin to plant my own trees at the back in preparation for the new houses as it’s most likely the builders behind will remove all the trees outside the wall.

We have consulted a Chartered building surveyor but hes basically pawned us off saying it can be difficult to determine borders and suggested we consult with the developer of the new houses. I personally think this is a ridiculous suggestion as surely we should be able to find someone that can tell us for sure what our border is without having to do that.

I suppose what I’m really asking is who is the best person to get to measure our site and confirm if we have the extra bit of ground or not.

I hope I’ve explained what I’m looking for clearly. Any suggestions appreciated (I’ve already tried sticking my thumb up my hole to no avail)

1 Like

A land surveyor would map your boundary based on land registry maps.

3 Likes

Nothing to do with the new builders. County planning office chief

2 Likes

Correct.

Are you based anywhere near Limerick @blackjack ?

1 Like

Good luck with it and be persistent

1 Like

I’m in Meath pal

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance, I’m decent enough at diy but crap at this stuff, should I ask for land registry maps is it?

Although luckily enough I’m from Galway originally :wink:

2 Likes

Ah Ok. Had a good contact for this work in West Limerick. @Mullach_Ide is on the ball above

1 Like

Your solicitor should have all this on file from when you bought the house. You might need to get a surveyor to reconcile the maps to the actual but thats bread and butter for them

3 Likes