Faldo's DIY General thread

I already have stones there. It would be far more expensive and time consuming to do anything else and not worth my while.

1 Like

My garden is bounded by a removable concrete slab sections fence. The existing tree line is indeed outside my boundary fence as it stands.

Some of the neighbours have cut the trees outside their section of boundary and moved their boundary outside the tree line and they believe they were entitled to do this as the builders of this estate established the boundary fence inside the tree line for handiness sake apparently.

The trees are lovely, though old and need to be topped. I need to be sure they’re mine though before I do anything with them. My concern is I arrive home some evening and the builder of the estate behind has levelled the trees and I’m looking at a house backing directly onto me with no trees for privacy. I’ll try upload a few photos if my remedial technical skills allow me

1 Like

That’s my back fence with the removable concrete slabs so moving them wouldn’t be a problem.

The trees are directly outside it and you can see the development moving closer in the background.

I’ve started with the landdirect link the lads put up and from what I can make out from that there is a bit of a discrepancy between the back fence and the boundary line. I’ve ordered the maps and will report further in due course

:rollseyes:
He already has them.

Stones are a fine job and look far better than tarmac in my opinion.

@Rocko you should put in a cattle grid while you are at it

6 Likes

@rocko, make sure you dont put the stones in upside down.

Looks like Ash covered in Ivy. Would be no harm to remove the Ivy and top the Ash. You run the risk of the Ash dying in any event over the coming years.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s exactly what it is. I’m loathe to do anything with them until I clarify the border situation

They look grand till you start driving on them.

1 Like

Of all the things the auld lad provided for us as young fellas Id say tarmacing the full driveway was probably the one which got the most bang for its buck. Meant that we now had numerous ball alleys and winter pitches to kick ball, hit slioters on and play basketball on.

4 Likes

+1. Add to that Tour de Frances, bike ramps, Tennis.

Nothing quite like the crunch of stones under your tyres.

1 Like

A photo from the other side of the fence might be better as we could see what the neighbours have done. Would it make sense to get all the neighbours together (Covid Willing), hire a contractor and get all the fences moved together. If one or two are left sticking out like a sore thumb, well that isn’t going to work, is it?

Those trees are high maintenance.Just be aware of what ye are getting into with them. Taking out those trees after wouldn’t be a cheap job.

1 Like

Move the fence. What’s the worst that can happen - someone will prove that you were wrong and you’ll have to move it back? Better position to be in than the alternative. Now would be a great time to move it too, no one will see you.

8 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. No point in waiting around.

He will only need take the fence down if asked, it’s whoever asks him to move it who will need to put a new boundary up. He might even get something better than the concrete panels in their place. Judging by how lazy the local surveyors are from his originally query I’d say he will be safe enough anyway.

1 Like

I think Dick Moran had a lovely gravel drive in Glenroe. Very satisfying sound when he’d arrive home in the big car after a big business deal or a trip away with the rugby club.

3 Likes

It’s very Downton Abbey