Faldo's DIY General thread

I was never stronger

Ah ya I was an animal after it and ating a breakfast roll a day :joy:

50 quid a day. Those lads had no idea what they were earning. I’d a plasterer subbie from west galway doing the houses in Doonbeg GC. He never invoiced the last two houses. About 25k each. He Took two finished houses as payment for a housing scheme from McCarthy’s in Ennis.

3 Likes

I got caught for a cunt of a job. I had to chase out a line in a reinforced stair well wall. I’d a half a scaffold so I’d the kangoo above my head for a day or two.

I’d be going home on the bus for a few days and it felt like my arms were lifting above my head

They were crazy times, name your price and you’d get it. Still can’t get a fella to do a job mind

A breakfast roll at 7. A chicken roll at 11. A dinner out of a box at 5. And a nice supper at 9.

And about 15 cups of tea throughout the day.

Our biggest concern pricing a job was always would you be able to get a blockie and plasterer to do the work. Worse still if you were in limerick and had to deal with unions. 1.50 a block and if they didn’t do enough in the day you had to pay them 250 for the day regardless. A lot of the time they were happy with their 1250 a week and didn’t do a tap. Lost a ball of money on that rice’s corner job in limerick because of them.

Are any of the polish contractors making a dint in big sites? I know they’re getting a lot of the small jobs and undercutting lads.

We had a polish lad do a few jobs for us and he was brilliant.

It’s 12 years since I did a job in Ireland, back then the polish and Latvians were the most reliable lads we had.

@Julio_Geordio

Urquell & throw up a photo of that spare stone and we will think about helping

1 Like

The fella we had recently had two lads subbing with him. My jesus if they left down a tool for 30 seconds he was on them like a thirsty man on a pint.

I was very impressed

They appreciated the money was the biggest difference.

Sometimes if money is the goal the quality is sacrificed.

1 Like

The BATU lads in Limerick were dangerous cunts. Some boys to shut down a site.

2 Likes

Small shutter, square it up and order the concrete, not a whole lot of work in that tbh but if your useless with a hammer and saw get a lad to do the shutter for ya, will need fuck all if any steel with the size of it and you prob would get away without using a poker as its small. Min 4 inches… You putting a path or anything around it

2 Likes

Nah it’ll be astro around it so won’t need a path I reckon. I’ll have a cut off weekend after this. Should be worth a nice post if nothing else

1 Like

Rent or borrow a whacker before ya pour… Best of luck with it

Before launching into a serious effort and time look up a crowd called “the shed factory”.
My daughter got a smashing galvanised shed 8’X10’ delivered and erected for €895 last year. Her’s is a wood effect colour and comes floored. I subsequently covered the floor with laminate for durability. You’ll need 10/12 concrete blocks as they level and build the shed off the ground on them. A grand tidy job. Worth a look at the price.

2 Likes

Nice mornings work done, bit of grouting to come later

8 Likes

I wouldn’t be gone on them now.

2 Likes