Fannings Fab 50

[quote=“Locke”]Journey “don’t stop believing” made it. Class

The Killers are on the list. I got the new album. It is shit! Don’t get it[/quote]

Fan of the Killers myself. They’re new album is tough going alright though. Can’t get into it.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Ah U2 could never be described as being shit*.

With or Without You and Sunday Bloody Sunday are excellent songs.

Just never had a desire to buy any of their albums.

Snow Patrol most definitely are shit though.

• Strictly relates to time period pre Beautiful Day[/quote]

Sunday Bloody Sunday is a superb song.

Others like New Years day, With or without you, One etc. have some merit.

Most of the rest I can leave behind

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I’m just going to mention this. Oasis got me into music. As Farmer said some bands were overlooked during the period Oasis were at the top, but thats always going to be the case no matter what era you look at. My problem was is that I was only 12 when Oasis made the big time. Over the years I’ve obviously developed my musical taste and am in a position to discover lesser known bands. Also the internet wasnt exactly the haven of free music it has become in the past few years and new/lesser known bands are more accessible.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Fuck that is right. They have at least 8 songs that are better than that

You going on Friday Fran?

[quote=“Flano”][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I’m just going to mention this. Oasis got me into music. As Farmer said some bands were overlooked during the period Oasis were at the top, but that’s always going to be the case no matter what era you look at. My problem was is that I was only 12 when Oasis made the big time. Over the years I’ve obviously developed my musical taste and am in a position to discover lesser known bands. Also the internet wasn’t exactly the haven of free music it has become in the past few years and new/lesser known bands are more accessible.[/FONT]
[/FONT][/quote]

That is fair enough Flano. I have mates that think the same.

I have always found them ordinary though. Those first two albums were hailed as masterpieces when they never were – musically nor lyrically. Since then they have become utter shit whereas before that they were just average. They have a handful of decent songs – but not one that you could say is superb.

That’s my view but I accept that they got a lot of people around my age into music which is something that sticks with you.

The press coverage they got was the biggest thing that pissed me off. They had seen bands come before but they still eulogized over these lads. I just don’t get it.

It was the height of the lads culture and Brit Pop so that had something to do with it no doubt.

I have tickets alright Pikeman, but I’m laid up in the leaba at the moment. Got a dead leg playing soccer on Monday night. Spent 5 hours on a trolley in James’s thinking I was going to die with the pain. MGG has kindly supplied me with seated tickets so I should be fine for that. It won’t be a big one though.

You going yourself?

Im going in, anyone really believe the shite about U2 playing a support slot?

Abba…

I doubt it Dan. I couldn’t see Bono lowering himself to be a support act. Besides they’ve already played a few tunes in there.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/u2-make-a-point-with-first-o2-show-1568801.html

[quote=“Fran”]I have tickets alright Pikeman, but I’m laid up in the leaba at the moment. Got a dead leg playing soccer on Monday night. Spent 5 hours on a trolley in James’s thinking I was going to die with the pain. MGG has kindly supplied me with seated tickets so I should be fine for that. It won’t be a big one though.

You going yourself?[/quote]

Sold my tickets a couple of days ago as there’s a clash with a party.
Heard that U2 rumour too and wouldn’t be surprised if they were there as they’re buddies with the Crosbie fella .

[quote=“Pikeman”]Sold my tickets a couple of days ago as there’s a clash with a party.
Heard that U2 rumour too and wouldn’t be surprised if they were there as they’re buddies with the Crosbie fella .[/quote]

KOL have played support for U2 before so I suppose it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

Oasis didn’t “push back the musical frontiers” so to speak, but they worked with the basics of rock n’ roll - Noel Gallagher’s superb ear for a tune, loud guitars and an unrivalled singer and frontman in Liam Gallagher. As Flano said they got a whole generation of kids into music and there has been nothing to remotely match them since. I can’t remember who said it originally but they took the best elements of all the great British guitar bands from the previous thirty years and moulded them into one.

Definitely Maybe is simply the ultimate rock n’ roll album.
Morning Glory is pretty much as good as it as to make no difference.

They also blew a good two albums worth of material on b-sides in the 94-97 period which could have formed the basis of the next three albums. I would also disagree about the later albums being shit. Be Here Now is a superb album, just a bit over-produced and long. Don’t believe the Truth is also excellent. The other three albums still all have a core of about 4 or 5 great songs.

Ah come off it Sid. Come fucking off it.

The reasons you are giving for Oasis being the greatest band of all time (massive statement) include saying that the worst thing they did was not quitting after Knebworth. Also its just a pity one of them didnt die. Is it too much of an ask for the greatest band of all time to go for more than tow albums.

And it is not lazy journalism to say that they are shite. They are making music, they put themselves up to review like everyone else and they are found to be shite.

As for the back catalogue REM have been on the go since 1983. Granted their last two albums have been poor but they lasted more than two albums, in fact they lasted around 10 more albums on top of that of even better quality than their first two.

Its hard to be articulate when someone says something that is so completely wrong and full of bullshit. I dont know if I have displayed by complete disgust that an apparently sane person (who often talks sense it must be said) could come up with such drivel but suffice to say it is about the worst post I have seen on here and I include KIB Mans Robbie Keane Stephen Ireland comparison in that.

You shall be receiving an IOTM nomination and vote from my good self Sidney unless someone beats that.

Fucking hell!

Think farmer disagrees with you there Sid.

Easily the worst ever band I have seen live. Saw them in 2002. Pure muck. A disgrace.

Oasis are my favourite band as well.

its just an opinion Farmer, just an opinion :smiley:

I think came about because U2 were the first act to play at the old point, so they had wanted them to open the new “point”. But as a work around half of U2 played a few songs to Crosbie and his mates in there last week.

KOL are a class band, have seen them twice, but I’ve found their live shows lacking any sort of interaction with the crowd. Seem to just kinda go through the motions.

iv seen them 8/9 times live, 50/50 when they were shite and good.

They were unreal in the point, two nights in a row in 96 (?) maybe one of the first major gigs they did in Ireland.

Noel Gallagher played an acoustic set that night (beacuase Liam threw a strop I think) that was fucking unbelievable.

its not fancy music but I like it, apologies if that offends anyone!!

[quote=“dancarter”]iv seen them 8/9 times live, 50/50 when they were shite and good.

They were unreal in the point, two nights in a row in 96 (?) maybe one of the first major gigs they did in Ireland.

Noel Gallagher played an acoustic set that night (beacuase Liam threw a strop I think) that was fucking unbelievable.

its not fancy music but I like it, apologies if that offends anyone!![/quote]

Think I heard that acoustic gig on 2fm afterwards and it sounded class. They just got worse as they got older. Why anyone would want to see them in Slane is beyond me now. Lord Henry must be getting deranged in his old age.