Fannings Fab 50

“At 46 it’s Guns’N’Roses so you can have a nap for a while if you’re into good music” :smiley:

the music tastes here are remarkably similar- guitar based male bands -a big verse , a couple of riffs etc

time to branch out

yiddish jazz & gypsy music are the way forward my friends- open your minds;)

Down down you bring me down

[quote=“north county corncrake”]the music tastes here are remarkably similar- guitar based male bands -a big verse , a couple of riffs etc

time to branch out

yiddish jazz & gypsy music are the way forward my friends- open your minds;)[/quote]

Ever hear of Fela Kuti Ncc ??

no- any good?

Yeah, decent enough… He’s Nigerain, think he’s actually dead now but has some cracking albums dating from the early 70’s through to the 90’s… fuck it have a listen for your self,it kicks in around the 2nd minute

[media=youtube]-ykpwr8K3M4

Heard the end of this last night.

One was number one again. Is any song going to knock it off in the near future?

There is a light that never goes out and How soon is now both in the top ten. Good to see.

Yeah good to see the Smiths batting like that alright.

Maybe we will organise a TFK campaign next year to get How Soon is Now to number one, I wouldn’t imagine the numbers required would be that big. Very doable I’d say.

How about something like ‘A Nation Once Again’ like in the BBC poll a few years back?

Would they dismiss it out of hand like the BBC did with the Justin Fashanu BBC Sports Personality of the Year back in the day?

EDIT - Mind you they did allow Don’t Stop Believin’ this year.

With something like A Nation Once Again you’d be starting from scratch, that would take big numbers. Better to just try to manipulate the thing within the boundaries of the usual suspects.

Just thinking of the ‘usual suspects’ as you put it and which song I would rate highest.

It would probably be Paranoid Android if I am honest. I remember the first time I heard that - one of those songs that just wakes you up and makes you take notice.

Yep, one of the clsssics, no doubt about it. Didn’t make the 50 this year though, and neither did Fake Plastic Trees or Street Spirit.

Seriously - a bloody travesity.

Could take or leave the other two.

The Smiths - How Soon Is Now? was number 1 in 1984.

Votes came on the strength of its appearance on

1. The b-side of the William It Was Really Nothing 12"
    and
  2. Hatful Of Hollow (released that November, retailing at 4.99 - coinciding with The Smiths Irish tour)

It came between the U2 monopoly:

1980 - 1983 11 O’Clock Tick-Tock
1985 - 1990 Bad (Live)

Just listening to a few of the Pogues numbers last night and it is incredible that none of them make it in to this.

• Rainy Night in Soho
  • Pair of Brown Eyes
  • Lullaby of London
  • Fairytale of New York

The Pogues would be a band whose votes get spread out over too many songs to make a dent in the chart. Plus a lot their fans are pissheads who can’t send a postcard or an e-mail. I’d be a fan myself, and a pisshead, but I can send postcards and e-mails. In true Pogues fashion, I decided ages ago not to go to the gig last night as it was a Monday night, went out anyway, and got in at 4.30 this morning.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Seriously - a bloody travesity.

Could take or leave the other two.[/quote]

It’s not a travesty, it’s a simple case of their fans not voting in big enough numbers.

Just voted there (Live Forever, Motorcycle Emptiness and Love Will Tear Us Apart)

http://2fm.rte.ie/pages/Fab50

vote early and vote often kids :clap:

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]Just voted there (Live Forever, Motorcycle Emptiness and Love Will Tear Us Apart)

http://2fm.rte.ie/pages/Fab50

vote early and vote often kids :clap:[/quote]

Ah lovely. Used to sit by the radio recording these religiously when I was a young lad. Trying to pause it a the perfect moment, to get the songs just right. Superb stuff back in the day.

Used to do the exact same thing myself, still have loads of the tapes too :clap: