Fannings Fab 50

Did I just see someone refer to Doors songs as shitty? For shame, for shame.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]They dont even have two albums worth of material. Those two albums were distinctly ordinary.

And why would people say it anyway? Because it is probably true. If I say that a footballer is shit you cant just imply that I have never seen him play without knowing if I have or havent.

What is lazy about it? It is a judgement. If you ask me a lot of support of Oasis is utterly lazy by taking music that is being constantly rammed down your throat by the press and professing it as the greatest ever when you couldnt be arsed seeing if there is anything better out there

As for the ending early comment what are you trying to say exactly? If Oasis ended after two albums they would be heralded as the greatest ever? Is that all you can say for the greatest band in the world ever? First of all they would not and second of all the mark of a band in their longevity. You mention The Smiths in your list above they had four basic albums with about 5O additional songs. Unless I am mistaken there are 10 songs on each of those two albums by Oasis.

You are talking through your hole.[/quote]

As has been said in another comment it’s not really worth arguing with somebody if they think a band is shit.

Certainly I would not put myself down as someone “who couldn’t be arsed seeing if there is anything better out there” seeing as I have been listening to music since 1987 and probably have over 1000 albums at this stage as well as constantly downloading more.

You say the mark of a band is in their longevity. I agree with you. The way the songs on Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are still imprinted on the public conciousness nearly a decade and a half later, topping poll after poll of the greatest albums ever, proves you right on that.

Re your earlier comments about Oasis being hyped, there wasn’t much hype around them at the start when their first single limped into the chart at 31. They were on the independent Creation label which was on the point of going bankrupt before they came along so there were no big marketing campaigns. They earned the hype gradually the way all great bands do, by gigging and word of mouth. That whole Britpop thing where they went head to head with Blur was engineered by Blur themselves who moved their single release to coincide with Roll With It coming out. I’ll stop there before I turn into Fr Damo talking to Dougal in Fr Ted.

The Smiths were a good band alright but over-rated for me. They had two really great moments with How Soon Is Now and The Queen Is Dead, and Morrissey was obviously an excellent lyricist, but I thought a lot of the tunes themselves were quite twee and boring. Would only put them about fifth in the list of best bands to come out of Manchester in the 80’s behind the Happy Mondays, New Order, Stone Roses and the Chameleons.

Did you see Supergrass earlier this year in the Academy? Cracking gig, made it into the top 10 of 2008 in the Ticket last Friday.

I would say it reflects the profile of the people voting. There obviously aren’t many cranky oul lads voting, or at least not too many. You know, the type who are now too old to stand up at gigs, and think that just because there is nothing around now which is as good as the Clash or the Pistols, then there is no point in listening to anything, and we may as well all limit ourselves to around 20 bands from 1975-1990 because there will never be anything as good again…in anyway.

Well I for one, am lookin forward to seen Oasis in Slane.

I saw Oasis in The Tivoli around the time of Shakermaker and they were brilliant.

I’d summarise their LPs like this

DM - really really fun record with great energy

WTSMG - pretty good even if over-familiar

BHN - some good songs, terribly produced and very hard to listen to

SOTSOG - psych! three good songs, rest mediocre

HC - one ok song

DBTT - two ok songs

DOYS - three to four strong tunes and no stinkers

Great b-sides band.

Around the time Stop The Clocks came out I picked up this set from HMV Japan. It was about one quarter of the price it is now. Lovely set.

I do like Oasis, and Definitely Maybe and Whats the Story are two of my favourite albums from the 90’s. But thats all, they were a brief flash in the pan, no matter what anyone tries to tell me, the rest of their stuff is appalling, lacks any of the humour or edge of those two albums.

I saw Oasis in PUC in (I think) 1996. They were without doubt the worst band I have seen outdoors live. Liam was clearly drunk and Noel was clearly not talking to him and the test of the band didn’t want to be there. They were shit.
Prodigy supported them, they were absolutely fucking brilliant.

Didn’t see any Elvis Costello songs on the list, a disgrace - Shipbuilding or Tramp the Dirt Down should be there.

Personally though, my No1 song would be Bad - U2.

[quote=“sid waddell”]As has been said in another comment it’s not really worth arguing with somebody if they think a band is shit.

Certainly I would not put myself down as someone “who couldn’t be arsed seeing if there is anything better out there” seeing as I have been listening to music since 1987 and probably have over 1000 albums at this stage as well as constantly downloading more.

You say the mark of a band is in their longevity. I agree with you. The way the songs on Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are still imprinted on the public conciousness nearly a decade and a half later, topping poll after poll of the greatest albums ever, proves you right on that.

Re your earlier comments about Oasis being hyped, there wasn’t much hype around them at the start when their first single limped into the chart at 31. They were on the independent Creation label which was on the point of going bankrupt before they came along so there were no big marketing campaigns. They earned the hype gradually the way all great bands do, by gigging and word of mouth. That whole Britpop thing where they went head to head with Blur was engineered by Blur themselves who moved their single release to coincide with Roll With It coming out. I’ll stop there before I turn into Fr Damo talking to Dougal in Fr Ted.

The Smiths were a good band alright but over-rated for me. They had two really great moments with How Soon Is Now and The Queen Is Dead, and Morrissey was obviously an excellent lyricist, but I thought a lot of the tunes themselves were quite twee and boring. Would only put them about fifth in the list of best bands to come out of Manchester in the 80’s behind the Happy Mondays, New Order, Stone Roses and the Chameleons.[/quote]

I want to say one thing.

I have never questioned your right to rate Oasis, I have questioned your logic in calling them the world’s greatest ever band.

Another thing:

The Smiths behind those other four!!! Well I never. But it’s your view I suppose.

[quote=“Fitzy”]I do like Oasis, and Definitely Maybe and Whats the Story are two of my favourite albums from the 90’s. But thats all, they were a brief flash in the pan, no matter what anyone tries to tell me, the rest of their stuff is appalling, lacks any of the humour or edge of those two albums.
[/quote]

If I could be arsed put my thoughts on Oasis in words it would go something like the above.

Seriously Sid,

I’ll give you The Stone Roses, but Happy Mondays, New Order and the The Chameleons better than The Smiths?

[quote=“Fitzy”]I do like Oasis, and Definitely Maybe and Whats the Story are two of my favourite albums from the 90’s. But thats all, they were a brief flash in the pan, no matter what anyone tries to tell me, the rest of their stuff is appalling, lacks any of the humour or edge of those two albums.[QUOTE]

Bingo… They filled a vacum for a while, nothing more, nothing less… If the roses had kept their shit together, or if cobain didnt die, i’d like to think that they would not have been half as big. But the lad culture they purported, goes hand in hand with the rag culture the brits subscribe to… the press was always going to blow them up … to suggest they were at the forefront of a musical revolution is… well i dont insult anyone, but i would totally disagree… if anything they turned me off rock/pop/indie, whatever you wanna call it,for a while and turned me towards dance/hip hop/electro. When i think of Oasis, i think of the “Who are ya” mindless skysports generation…middle class chav’s

Bingo… They filled a vacum for a while, nothing more, nothing less… If the roses had kept their shit together, or if cobain didnt die, i’d like to think that they would not have been half as big. But the lad culture they purported, goes hand in hand with the rag culture the brits subscribe to… the press was always going to blow them up … to suggest they were at the forefront of a musical revolution is… well i dont insult anyone, but i would totally disagree… if anything they turned me off rock/pop/indie, whatever you wanna call it,for a while and turned me towards dance/hip hop/electro. When i think of Oasis, i think of the “Who are ya” mindless skysports generation…middle class chav’s

Jesus, what did NCC ever do to you?

best band outta Manchester?

surely The Fall.

[quote=“nlgbbbblth”]best band outta Manchester?

surely The Fall.[/quote]

Husker Du,without a shadow.

Take That are by far the best Manchester band ever.

Eh?

They are American no?

The Fall were a smashing band alright. Completely different to anyone else - well they were heavily influenced by Can. But the best band to come out of Manchester for me were The Smiths - probably the best band to come out of anywhere.

The Bee Gees!

Yeah and Man City are the best football team from the area as well.

Hang on a second everybody, but especially you “Farmer” if that is your real name… ‘Dont believe the truth’ was by far oasis’ best album since Definitely Maybe. Whats the story is over-rated - 'she’s electric… come on.
i think they’re a great band but no, not nearly one of the best bands ever, they are good but not “Worldclass”…
Nirvana? Anyone?

Flano doesn’t appear to be around so I am going to extend a much warranted ‘Fuck off’ to you Billy.

I am sure that he will deliver it himself in person when he returns.

And they’re off…