Fantasy Football FAO Gman too

Got bored waiting for a decent prediction league/fantasy football code to become available so I’m going to rip apart an American Football fantasy football code and convert it into soccer. Oh I’m also bored so that’s another reason why I’ve decided to something stupid like this.

So I don’t think there’s anything like this currently working for soccer is there? The rules are very different but they seem far better. Ignoring how points are scored for a minute am I right in saying some key differences are:

1. there’s a draft so each player is only on 1 team
  2. you can trade players with other teams
  3. you play directly against an opponent each week, instead of just adding up all your scores into a league table

Anyone know if those are right? Think locke and gman were in a fantasy football league last year - either that or they own NFL teams because they were definitely talking about trading players. Could locke be one of the Kraft family?

Was going to do this for GAA but it’s impossible to organise because you don’t know how the Championship season is going to pan out in terms of fixtures so it becomes really inequitable. There’s not much point in doing it for NFL/NHL either because the squads aren’t really known in advance and the fixtures aren’t that perfect and it’s hard to have a good record of scores. So I think a straightforwad Win/Loss prediction competition suits the format of those competitions better.

Oh yeah Bandage you’ll be required to do a fuckload of work in getting data together for this so be prepared. All on Excel though so you can do it in work, just don’t let Dancarter know.

I was looking into doing something similar for a long while now. I’d be willing to join this noble crusade.

I have a load of ideas about how it would work.
Basically you should rip off the NFL site almost exactly.

This is a good start:
http://fantasy.premierleague.com/playerlist.html

alright Rocko. yeah I was in an NFL FFL alright, not lockes one tho. Lock and cluniduic were in one with AFR heads, and I find that leagues like that are shite because someone says they are interested at the start and then drops out and never changes teams or anything. so one week they’ll have no players playing, and then the next all their start players show up, so it makes it shite in a head ot head league.

The one I usualy play in is the yahoo one. Its basic enough so that lads with fook all understanding can play. I was able to adjust points tallies gained, so for each TD or yards gained etc. Can make trades as well. The draft is nearly best craic in it. All of you online mesaging and waiting for your turn hoping a player doesnt go. If you want rocko, you could set up a dummy NFL one on yahoo and do the draft with a couple of others and see how it looks.

The NFL.com fantasy league is the main one, where it splits it up into divisions as well, so you have more chance of trades coming off because some wouldnt be hoarding players as bad as one overall league.

Cheers lads.

The template I’m working off is phpffl.com

So it has a draft, divisions, leagues and all that stuff. It’s a bit like the official nfl one I think.

There’s a problem with scoring for soccer because there’s a lack of stats other than goals and assists available but maybe there’s some opta stats around that could be useful.

So is there no head to head in the yahoo one gman?

Thanks for that table Cluaindiuic, shuold be enough to get some temp data in there anyway.

Happy to help if required, geeks.

[quote=“Gman”]alright Rocko. yeah I was in an NFL FFL alright, not lockes one tho. Lock and cluniduic were in one with AFR heads, and I find that leagues like that are shite because someone says they are interested at the start and then drops out and never changes teams or anything. so one week they’ll have no players playing, and then the next all their start players show up, so it makes it shite in a head ot head league.

The one I usualy play in is the yahoo one. Its basic enough so that lads with fook all understanding can play. I was able to adjust points tallies gained, so for each TD or yards gained etc. Can make trades as well. The draft is nearly best craic in it. All of you online mesaging and waiting for your turn hoping a player doesnt go. If you want rocko, you could set up a dummy NFL one on yahoo and do the draft with a couple of others and see how it looks.

The NFL.com fantasy league is the main one, where it splits it up into divisions as well, so you have more chance of trades coming off because some wouldnt be hoarding players as bad as one overall league.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the dudes pulling out is a pain in the hole but that league was put together as a bit of a whim. Locke God bless him hadn’t a clue but at least he kept playing and he did ok in the end. If you have a group of lads together that you know it should not be an issue.

Unique players has massive potential in Fantasy Premier League.
Would Trades involve money? In the American Football one there is no money involved.
You can do multiple player trades. 3 player for 2 players etc…

The Draft is great craic.

I have seen sites where they were toying with unique players.
http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/soccer/times_login.asp

That was the main reason I didn’t go ahead with it.
I haven’t seen a full set of rules for the Times game.
I’m not sure if they do trades.

http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/soccer/help/rules.asp

Seems to be drafts and trades. Looks like the whole fuckin show.

They use stats on complete passes etc…
They seem to have a page per player and have updates regularly like the NFL FFL.

It won an award last year for best fantasy football game.

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/soccer/help/rules.asp

Seems to be drafts and trades. Looks like the whole fuckin show.

They use stats on complete passes etc…
They seem to have a page per player and have updates regularly like the NFL FFL.

It won an award last year for best fantasy football game.[/QUOTE]

Right well that looks very close to the ideal alright. Still would be decent to have a bit more control over how the scoring works and in time to tweak it for GAA etc.

When you say you were looking into doing something similar do you know how to write this stuff?

To be honest all I’m doing is taking a script written for NFL and messing about with the database tables to create the relevant fields for soccer and because there’s fewer fields required it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Here’s a current NFL template for the script I’m looking at:
http://ecouchcoach.com/ Click on Take a Tour

I was pretty convinced that there was a huge gap in the market for this.
I still am. 2,000,000 people play FPL.

That site should be a serious cash cow for that site. Judging by the ridiculously poor prizes on offer it doesn’t seem like they realize what kind of powerful position they are in.

I wonder if FPL have this functionality in the works as they added the head to head leagues last year.
I was pretty deflated when I found the times game with unique players.
I had a quick look around of it and cursed them and let the idea slide. That was a couple of months ago.

The thing is there may be room for us in a few ways.
Internationally. Multiple languages in premiership but also is anyone doing a unique game for la liga? Seria a? Heineken cup? Super 14? Ufc?

Gaa would be hard just by the nature of the championship.

I’m a software tester by trade. I have some programming skills but I’m not great and rusty.

Yeah I think the idea of having a framework that can be rolled out to other sports is appealing.

Problem is I can’t program for shit and you’ve lost your touch.

Good thing is that phpffl thing looks well coded and from playing around with it, it doesn’t look impossible to convert into something more generic. As you’ve implied there once you get a generic package together it shouldn’t take too much time to convert it into other sports and other leagues.

I think the Times one suffers a bit from being associated with a newspaper and from not being that accessible. There is a forum to go with it to build the community side of things but for whatever reason they don’t seem to have dragged people away from the official Premier League fantasy football which is just shit really.

[quote=“therock67”]Yeah I think the idea of having a framework that can be rolled out to other sports is appealing.

Good thing is that phpffl thing looks well coded and from playing around with it, it doesn’t look impossible to convert into something more generic. As you’ve implied there once you get a generic package together it shouldn’t take too much time to convert it into other sports and other leagues.

I think the Times one suffers a bit from being associated with a newspaper and from not being that accessible. There is a forum to go with it to build the community side of things but for whatever reason they don’t seem to have dragged people away from the official Premier League fantasy football which is just shit really. [/QUOTE]

Yeah seriously, I can’t believe that guys with an obviously better product are so relectant to run with it.
Maybe the Times don’t have the infrastructure or the upper management don’t get it.

Like, you could do a millions things with this.
The American Football fantasy sites have all types of leagues the mosre expansive ones where people use their real money to action for players. You could faciltate a competition between friends. Whatever the players pay in the auction goes in to a pot and the winner takes it all [minus our x% cut]

Seeing how soccer is the biggest game in the world there must be a huge market for this and everybody is trying their best not to take advantage of it.

I’d love to know what the NFL Fantasy market is worth. Because soccer must have the potential to be worth much more if you did it right. And then from there as I was saying you could tailor it for all kinds of stuff.

I wrote a program in college where you had to guess a random number between 1 and 20. You can have that if it’s any use to you.

Sound.

Anything to help :smiley:
I had 6 sememters of programming in college. The highest I ever got was a C3.

[quote=“therock67”]Yeah I think the idea of having a framework that can be rolled out to other sports is appealing.

[/QUOTE]

Just to lower your expectations, I hate coding and I’m shit at it. I never had any kind of touch or flair for it and I’ve never used php.
I’d be ok at the database stuff.

I will play around with that the template though.
Dr. Peppers.

I fuckiong hate coding too. Its the reason I gave up on a potential career in IT. As for multimedia shit, let me at it.

Good stuff, at least we’re in the same boat so. Neither of us can code in php but we’re going to make a fortune from doing just that. Seems like The Runt might be just ahead of us on this though.

Look at www.thefreekick.com/phpffl

Will PM you a password for the admin side of things so you can see what the product is like as it stands for NFL.

I do know a forum member who can code in PHP though :smiley:

[quote=“therock67”]Good stuff, at least we’re in the same boat so. Neither of us can code in php but we’re going to make a fortune from doing just that. Seems like The Runt might be just ahead of us on this though.

Look at www.thefreekick.com/phpffl

Will PM you a password for the admin side of things so you can see what the product is like as it stands for NFL.[/QUOTE]

Sure we’ll give it a lash. If we are outmatched then so what.
PHP is supposed to be one of the lesser horrible languages to use.

Time for an inspiring West Wing quote:

BARTLET
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful and commited citizens can change the world. You know why?

WILL
It’s the only thing that ever has.

Don’t everyone roll their eyes at once…