FAO Munster Fans - A few Q's

1. What do the three crowns on the Munster crest signify? I mussay I find it very strange indeed as the crown is generally a symbol of derision/animosity in this Country.

2. Why was the Stag added to the crest in recent times? Is there a tradition of something Stagish or did some PR guy, with a ponytail, make it up?

3. Why do Munster fans sing “The Fields of Athenry”? I’m confused…isn’t Athenry in Connacht?

Genuine replies only please.

[quote=“tipptops*”]1. What do the three crowns on the Munster crest signify? I mussay I find it very strange indeed as the crown is generally a symbol of derision/animosity in this Country.

1. Why was the Stag added to the crest in recent times? Is there a tradition of something Stagish or did some PR guy, with a ponytail, make it up?

2. Why do Munster fans sing “The Fields of Athenry”? I’m confused…isn’t Athenry in Connacht?

Genuine replies only please.[/quote]

1. Gayness
  2. They’re gay
  3. They’re bi.

[quote=“tipptops*”]1. What do the three crowns on the Munster crest signify? I mussay I find it very strange indeed as the crown is generally a symbol of derision/animosity in this Country.

1. Why was the Stag added to the crest in recent times? Is there a tradition of something Stagish or did some PR guy, with a ponytail, make it up?

2. Why do Munster fans sing “The Fields of Athenry”? I’m confused…isn’t Athenry in Connacht?

I know this isa petty wind up, but i’ll give you the genuine anwers i would give.

1. The 3 High Kings of Munster from the olden days.
  2. I believe the Stag was a sacred animal back in those days, and they also needed something slightly different to copywrite.
  3. I don’t know why, i think its gone past its sell by date and i know its not liked by large numbers of the fans. Its a habit i suppose, but there are far more Munster songs than that.

caoimhin, you forgot to add.

“now fuck off tipptops*”

the answer to the question is that they are west brit pillow munching toffs

The Fields of Athenry thing riles me I must admit. More reason why the Munster brand is just purely manufactured.

Doesn’t help when clowns like Hook say that his sporting memory of 2007 was being at France and New Zealand in Cardiff and hearing Fields of Athenry being sung despite the fact that Ireland had missed out. Pile of idiots. most probably Munster fans, had bought tickets in advance predicting Ireland would progress and when they didnt sang Fields of Athenry anyway.

Clowns.

I remember on some other site before people arguing saying there was an Athenry in Waterford so it was alright for Munster fans to sing it. Clowns!

What happens when Munster plays Connaght? Do they both sing together or take turns or maybe the Munster fans don’t sing it at all??

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]The Fields of Athenry thing riles me I must admit. More reason why the Munster brand is just purely manufactured.

Doesn’t help when clowns like Hook say that his sporting memory of 2007 was being at France and New Zealand in Cardiff and hearing Fields of Athenry being sung despite the fact that Ireland had missed out. Pile of idiots. most probably Munster fans, had bought tickets in advance predicting Ireland would progress and when they didnt sang Fields of Athenry anyway.

Clowns.[/quote]

That is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. And as for Hook and his comments on it, he should be taken out to a field in Athenry and have a bullet put through his noggin.

Whats even worse though is to hear it at Celtic Park.:smiley:

that fookin fields of anfield road shite that liverpool fans sing really is a load of cock. clowns.

That was written for Steve Heighway, who is Irish, now being adopted for Stevie Gerrard, which I admit doesn’t make any sense.

At least they sing about the Fields of Anfield Road, which is a reference to Liverpool and not about Athenry which has nowt to do with Munster.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]That was written for Steve Heighway, who is Irish, now being adopted for Stevie Gerrard, which I admit doesn’t make any sense.

At least they sing about the Fields of Anfield Road, which is a reference to Liverpool and not about Athenry which has nowt to do with Munster.[/quote]

I agree, but what has it got to do with Glasgow. Liverpool using the tune and most of the words is worse than any of them though.

Hate the song. But it has much more relevance (being a song about forced emigration) at Celtic Park than it does in Thomond Park.

What do you agree about?

I have already explained why Liverpool use it. It was originally sang in recognition of an Irish man. Liverpool fans are a notoriously loyal bunch to ex-legends and decided to carry it on through Stevie G.

Contrast that with a pile of bandwagon jumpers supporting the Munster brand bellowing out a song that has nothing to do with Munster. And they say that provincial boundaries matter. Ha!

id imagine its the Munster rugby Celtic supporting daytrippers who have introduced it to Celtic Park.
there can be no other explanation.

farmer seems to think Liverpool fans changing a few of the words makes it completely credible to sing it at Anfield, Liverpool, England, while Munster fans changing none of the words and using the song as it was originally written are a crowd of clowns!

personally i hate to hear it at any sporting event but to hear it being sung by the english and scots is bizarre beyond belief.

a song about irish emmigration sung by irish emmigrants

was over at Celtic park in 96 when pete st john sang it at half time - when the munster fans started singing it 8 years later i went right off ot though

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]What do you agree about?

I have already explained why Liverpool use it. It was originally sang in recognition of an Irish man. Liverpool fans are a notoriously loyal bunch to ex-legends and decided to carry it on through Stevie G.

Contrast that with a pile of bandwagon jumpers supporting the Munster brand bellowing out a song that has nothing to do with Munster. And they say that provincial boundaries matter. Ha![/quote]

That Athenry has fuck all to do with Munster.

Defending the Liverpool side of it is just as crazy as Munster. I do see something in the Glasgow Celtic singing it, but at the end of the day its still a Galway song.
I don’t think the guy who wrote it, or who it was about ended up in either Glasgow or Liverpool ( or Munster for that fact either).

[quote=“HBV*”]id imagine its the Munster rugby Celtic supporting daytrippers who have introduced it to Celtic Park.
there can be no other explanation.

farmer seems to think Liverpool fans changing a few of the words makes it completely credible to sing it at Anfield, Liverpool, England, while Munster fans changing none of the words and using the song as it was originally written are a crowd of clowns!

personally i hate to hear it at any sporting event but to hear it being sung by the english and scots is bizarre beyond belief.[/quote]

Ah in fairness it’s there alot longer than that.

Liverpool’s version is very much tongue in cheek. It is harmless, written about an Irish footballer and the words are changed.

Munster fans sing it as if they are representative of Ireland when they sum up a lot of what is wrong about it.