FAO of Bandage (and other Wexicans)

Signing in from Wexford. Very excited about this game this evening.

2 Likes

Signing in from the sky and the ground. The atmosphere beginning to build here. For neutrals like myself it’s tremendous to feel the sense that history could be made tonight (and many pints drunk)

Bumped for @Smark

1 Like

I might as well do a follow up about my trip to Wexford. Myself and herself headed off for four days recently, basing ourselves in the lovely town of Wexford. We did a bit of a pub crawl the first night, with me keeping close attention to the pubs respected forum administrator @Bandage said to hit or miss.

We started by spending some time in T. Morris pub which is really my sort of establishment as it is a proper old mans pub and a throwback to the olden days. There was a bit of diddly di music going on and we were satisfied with that for an hour or so.

On we went as I was eager to follow Bandages advice to have a drink in Lambert & sons. Boy did we regret it. It was soulless and hipster central, all the beers on draught were indecipherable. I asked him for a pint of Heineken but he informed me he didn’t have it amongst what must have been 20 Mickey Mouse draught beers. I got some kind of ale but didn’t enjoy it. She couldn’t drink her glass of whatever it was. A little disappointed in Bandages recommendation, I figured he’d redeem himself later on.

Next we stopped at Bugler Doyle’s. It’s just a so so kind of place. It wasn’t on Bandages list of places to go to or avoid as I recall. What I didn’t like about it was that despite the pub being quiet with just a group of men at the bar, the Barman insisted on staying where he was at one end of the bar while I was at the other, and forcing me to roar my order at the top of my voice down along the counter, over various peoples heads, and into his thick ears. I didn’t appreciate he couldn’t come over to me and had me display such uncouth characteristics. We had that one and moved on again.

Bandage recommended the sky and the ground and I was eager to give him a chance to put things right, and by god he did. It is a lovely pub, lots of corners and space, and there was a fine crowd and atmosphere there. We stayed there for a good while.

We were on the way home at this stage with no intention of stopping anywhere else until we passed one establishment with live music blaring out the doors and windows. She said let’s go in and have a look. Before I knew it I was standing inside of Heffernans pub, the one pub with which Bandage had warned not to drink in, and I now had two drinks ordered. I thought oh well let’s drink these and go. Another three drinks later we left there having both agreed it had been the best place all night. There was an impromptu musical session on with a karaoke type set up where randomers were getting up and belting out very poorly delivered numbers. Everyone, including and especially me, was pissed drunk and a great night was had in there by all. I took a picture in there of the musicians, it’s at the bottom of this post. The lad singing with the blue shirt was a Garth brooks fanboy and soon after the photo was taken he went in the back and changed into a t shirt with Garth brooks mug on it, and a cowboy hat. He belted our song after song, much to everyone’s enjoyment.

On the food front we had a lovely meal in the yard. Also ate in Cistin Eile another day where I sampled the local delicacy “rissoles”, they were very nice. We did day trips out of Wexford then to Kilmore quay one day, and Gorey the next. Kilmore quay is a beautiful little seaside spot. It is worth visiting there for the chipper alone which rates amongst the very best I’ve ate out of, and I’ve tried them all. Gorey I found to be a dump enough, had expected more out of it. We went to Curracloe beach coming back from Gorey which I’d put on a par with Derynane beach in Kerry as the two best beaches I’ve visited in Oireland.

On the way home we went to hook head and the haunted house loftus hall, these were worth the trip. We had a lovely meal in Duncannon afterwards then. We got the obligatory punnet of strawberries from the side of the road of course, and I drove into a farm and bought two bags of spuds. Ye have a lovely little county down there, particularly the area around Wexford town.

19 Likes

Absolutely fantastic.

Almost like being there

2 Likes

@Smark has a wonderful way of describing things

1 Like

And no mention of the gaggle of kids with him. Who minded them while he was out drinking? Did he leave them in the holiday home ? Despicable behavior.

1 Like

I left them tied together for a few hours on a chair in front of the TV with the peppa pig on a loop. They are not my own so it didn’t weigh too heavily on my conscience. They were the finest when we got back and I even had a few jelly babies for them.

5 Likes

You didn’t bother with the flock of sheep then

That’s not Heffernan’s :wink:

Where was that then? I was sure it said Heffernans over the door.

Think it’s the Foggy Dew, it’s right beside the Sky and the Ground. Heffernan’s doesn’t do live music…

You’re right, it was the foggy dew. @Bandage said to avoid Heffernans, apologies for scalding you in the wrong @Bandage. In another thread it was @count_of_monte_crist who said to avoid the foggy dew mind you. :grinning:

1 Like

Excellent stuff.

Fantastic and evocative report @Smark. Delighted to read your stay was enjoyable.

Always happy to take constructive criticism on board too.

1 Like

Which pub did you eat in, in Duncannon pal?

Amazing the way the quality of pubs improved the more you drank. V fortunate.

Are you able to do a tour of loftus hall or were you just outside looking in the window?

1 Like

Can do a tour through most of the house. They’ve been doing work year on year there refurbishing the place. Haven’t been out in the house itself for a couple of years now. Used to be a pub at one time in the mid 80s. Eerie building, even if the story is a bit fanciful

Great reporting too @Smark. Although Gorey? What the fuck made you think going there would be worthwhile?

Gorey was her idea, something about lots of nice shops she wanted to look at. I spent a lot of time there going into and out of bookies.

You can do a tour inside loftus hall @gilgamboa. Lots of kids on the tour, I don’t know if it’s a bit spooky and the details for kids but each to their own. The lad doing the tour, Colm, was funny. I wish we’d seen more of the house though. You just get a handful of rooms.

We ate in Roches bar @count_of_monte_crist

2 Likes

how would you score the grub in Wexford overall out of 10?