FAO techie geeks

Windows XP on my Toshiba laptop wont load. I get as far as the windows was not shut down successfully (or similar) page and given 4 options ie restart in safe mode, safe mode with networking etc. I have tried all four options but it just returns to the same page.

Help needed.

P.S. Last time I shut down laptop when it was working it was shutdown with updates being installed. Obviously one of those has fucked it up.

is it a full or shell version of windows ?? do you have the disk? is the dvd drive working? and of course, is the power on ?

Don’t have disk. Full version. Tried to play a DVD on it last week and it didn’t play alright. Power is on- guess by getting to that start windows normally screen would indicate that the power is on…

hmmm

could be just that the disk you put in was faulty, you’re gonna need an xp disk to try and use the recovery console,

whats happening when you try to load in safe mode ?

What the hell is hmmmmmmmmmm? Ah ya ha ha. Barrup!

Nah doubt it. Watched it on my actual dvd player after. When I tried to load it on my laptop one it said I needed to amend the resolution but that made no difference.

When I load it in safe mode it just goes back to the same screen again. XP just wont load up - it goes back to the Toshiba menu and then onto the start windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with networking, restore to last known config point menu. Clicking on either option just returns it to this screen.

Press F8 during the boot cycle (when it’s starting to load) to see your boot options and turn off “Disable automatic restart on system failure”

Sorry bud, there are 2 options initially f2 for system utilities and F12 for boot menu.

F12 gives 5 options

HDD
FDD
CD/DVD
LAN
USB Memory

Clicking return on this brings up a loading menu and ‘media test failure’. Then simply returns to the start windows normally screen.

F2 brings up a setup utility page.
One of the options F9 is load setup defaults. You can click yes to confirm but pressing return loads up nothing.

I’m a bit confused.

I think you’re pressing it too early. Sounds like you’re going into the BIOS settings or something. I’m pretty sure that continually hitting F8 before Windows loads will bring you into XP options.

Ya F8 should let you boot in safe mode. Hit it as soon as the Windows Logo appears.
Failing that boot from your Windows XP CD if you still have it, and you can run a repair on XP from there.

F8 ain’t doing anything.

Sorry didn’t read your first post about being in safe mode already. Try booting from the CD and running the repair if you can.

Will try it tom.

Is it just pop in the CD and it will automatically load. Click repair and I’m laughing?

You might need to go into the BIOS to tell the laptop to boot from the CD/DVD before the hard drive.

Yep it’s the BIOS menu that Im in.

I’ve moved CD/DVD up to the top of the list ahead of HDD, FDD etc. Is that correct?

Yeah that will allow you to use the CD to boot alright.

Hm

alright geezers. Have booted the CD into the laptop.

Options:

to set up Windows XP press ENTER

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console press R

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

• Have tried pressing R twice - asks for a Windows installation number but have no idea what this is? Any ideas?

You actually need to go into Setup Windows XP.
In there accept the licence agreement that comes up.
It will then search for existing Windows installed on your machine, it should bring up the one on your C: Drive.
Select the Windows Installation (C:) and you will then have the option to run a repair on it.

Do you send a group PM, in other words a PM with a number of recipients to it?