FAO techie geeks

Iā€™d say itā€™s more like a few USB keys you plugged into a toaster the way itā€™s crashing lately.

2 Likes

How would a person go about clearing a laptop clean. As in wipe everything, absolutely everything off of it. Itā€™s a kind of work laptop and I might be passing it on so want to wipe all files and emails and contact lists etc from it. Is there button like on the iPhones to completely reset the thing.

Thereā€™s deleting things and then thereā€™s really deleting things. If you are talking about a proper deletion of all files youā€™d need to run something like dban on it.
If you arenā€™t overly concerned that someone someday with the right knowledge and gear could recover the files, then reinstalling Windows and deleting the windows.old folder would probably be enough.
If you have windows 10 I think it comes with a factory reset option.

1 Like

Thanks buddy. I just want to clear it up and hand on like new. Iā€™ve no need to totally cleanse it. Iā€™ve windows 10 alright that might do it for me.
Thereā€™s a few emails to and from the farmers journal and irelands own that I wouldnā€™t like spread around the office.

Is there an admin account on it separate to the account you normally use?

Ah here. Iā€™m a roaster. I got this from another colleague. He forgot to log out of his emails and forgot to wipe files etc.
Some potentially embarrassing stuff in there for him. ā€¦ only a select few were printed and locked away in my office ā€¦
The hard drive then went in it. It was duly fixed and I ended up with wiped laptopā€¦
I need to wipe it clean next week. Iā€™ll look for a restore factory settings ??

Iā€™ll look for you tomorrow. Itā€™s something like System > Restore