FAO Thrawneen

[quote=“The Runt, post: 738880, member: 181”]I went through O’Briens Bridge for what I think was the first time in my life recently.
A nice little place, lovely setting on the banks of the broad majestic Shannon.[/quote]

There’s a eerie creepy feel to the place until you cross over to the Montpelier side

[quote=“The Runt, post: 738880, member: 181”]I went through O’Briens Bridge for what I think was the first time in my life recently.
A nice little place, lovely setting on the banks of the broad majestic Shannon.[/quote]

It is a bit depressing these days compared to what it was with the Old Mill, Brownes, the Bistro and the Shop all closed up. But a lovely little village alright. some serious characters in that place. I believe the Bridge is one one of Bandage’s favourites

What were those high bridges further up river? Looked like aqua-ducts of some sort?

That was clonlara …

?

Was it the head race canal and the weir for Ardnacrusha?

The Old Mill was a great spot for a feed, was gutted the day I pulled up outside it to see the doors closed for good.

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 738887, member: 1137”]?

Was it the head race canal and the weir for Ardnacrusha?[/quote]

Probably was, I could see it as I came up the road from Montpeiler towards Birdhill

That would be the Weir, it is a about a mile or so outside O’Briens Bridge on the Killaloe side, it is where the Head Race canal starts to bring water to Ardnacrusha and the Shanno then splits off to the left and passed on through O’Briens Bridge

Would people swim in the canal?

Would there be a fierce drag towards the power station in it?

Excellent to see this thread taking off in the exact direction as I thought it would although I thought the cunt who owns Matt the Threshers would get a bit more of a doing. What’s the name of the pub just off the roundabout before the Limerick bypass? It used to be packed for food even though their food was pretty average.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 738906, member: 181”]Would people swim in the canal?

Would there be a fierce drag towards the power station in it?[/quote]

There are some swimming spots. Ardclooney just before the weir is one, there is another by the bridge in Clonlara as well and people often dive off the bridge at Blackwater by Barry’ shop as well. But it wouldn’t be all that great for swimming. Mainly due to the steep slopes of the concrete either side. Not all that easy to get in and out of.

The flow depends on the time of the day and how much water it is taking in. the further away from the station the less of a drag there is. O Briens Bridge gets a good bit of flooding due to the fact that during increased rainfall the weir is closed and water is let off back into the Shannon and the Montpelier side is quite low lying

Finnegans.

That’s the one-I could never understand why the place was so packed for food. Distinctly average carvery efforts and the sandwiches they did generally came with gone off yellow mayonnaise.

Is the Titty bar in Montpelier closed down?

Long gone, twas only going for a few weeks towards the end of 2007. Every Thursday night. Fella who owned it was an awful gangster. Runs ferries below in Tarbert and has been threatened at gun point a good few times

He owns a horse abattoir as well:cool:

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 738911, member: 1137”]There are some swimming spots. Ardclooney just before the weir is one, there is another by the bridge in Clonlara as well and people often dive off the bridge at Blackwater by Barry’ shop as well. But it wouldn’t be all that great for swimming. Mainly due to the steep slopes of the concrete either side. Not all that easy to get in and out of.

The flow depends on the time of the day and how much water it is taking in. the further away from the station the less of a drag there is. O Briens Bridge gets a good bit of flooding due to the fact that during increased rainfall the weir is closed and water is let off back into the Shannon and the Montpelier side is quite low lying[/quote]

We often went in off the bridge at Blackwater, no hassle getting up. Mates of mine used to jump off the top of the power station itself, mad fuckers, but you can swin away off the pier down that end too or around the other side behind Parteen pitch and putt.

Yes, but that is a different canal.

What’s up @Thrawneen , my good man? How you keeping?

I see Mark Robbins was sacked today after Huddersfield lost 100% of their games so far this season.

[QUOTE=“Horsebox, post: 997451, member: 1537”]What’s up @Thrawneen , my good man? How you keeping?

I see Mark Robbins was sacked today after Huddersfield lost 100% of their games so far this season.[/QUOTE]

That bit of news has actually brightened up my day to a level where I might actually enjoy the five beers I have here beside me, after about the 4th one.

Tough defeat, kid. The goals just came at the perfect time for KK. Thought ye were well on top for large parts of it.