Father's Day

Any of ye getting something for the aul fella this Sunday? My aul lad wouldn’t be the emotional sort so unless it’s purely functional he won’t be interested. Independent.co.uk have a list of ten best father’s day gifts but bar the whisky I couldn’t see him going for any of them.

My bossman is with god so i wont be getting him anything,im expecting to be recieving something from my kids though,my oldest is nearly 6 so her mammy will be doing the buying,no doubt something i dont need which will cost about 45 quid and a card costinganother fiver,im always telling her at home not to be buying me stuff on these occasions but she doesnt listen…

My oul fella departed the scene the night before Waterford were hammered by the Cats (Thank God he didn’t have to sit through that shite!) so no more father’s day gifts.

Saves money in these recessionary times though.

if no one says anything my aul lad wouldnt even know its fathers day, nor would he care either. but the females of the family let me down in this instance and usually end up getting something shite at the last minute.

:cool: :clap: Likewise mine. He may get an extra spud or two from the oul lady though :smiley:

My da is one that won’t let ya forget its father day, he does be joking of course though and is grateful for whatever he gets. He’d be more than happy just too have all his family around him on the day.

[quote=“Pikeman”]My oul fella departed the scene the night before Waterford were hammered by the Cats (Thank God he didn’t have to sit through that shite!) so no more father’s day gifts.

Saves money in these recessionary times though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that lads.

My aul fella very much of the couldn’t give a shit variety as well. I was wonderin if there are many families out there who take this kind of thing seriously because we never would. The mother would be tellin you to get something alright but generally we’d leave it to the sister and throw in a few quid.

Sorry to hear about the departed lads.

Our dessie doesn’t really be that bothered but we’d pay for a curry and a bottle of wine or something like that and if the four of us eat together then that’s usually enough. Thing is though, between the jolly on Friday night and Slane on Saturday, I don’t even have the price of a curry and a bottle of wine.

+1.

I saw a poster for it last week and thought, ‘Grand, I’ll him something next week’. Of course, I completely forgot about it til I noticed this thread. He’ll be knocking around Nowlan Park on Sunday so I suppose I could hand deliver a card with some voucher or other in it.

Bit late now to order it maybe but a mate has one of these

Razorpit

and says it’s the business. Has used the same Mach3 blade for the last couple of months or something crazy like that. Might get it myself.

typical thing for feckin brothers to do at birthdays christmas etc…
ole fella will be lucky to get a lotto and few bars of choc out of us… he probably wouldnt realise but sister will probably get him a card from the little lad…

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]Sorry to hear about the departed lads.

[/QUOTE]

+2 lads

I’ll have to think of something to get my fella, he wouldn’t say anything but would be delighted to get anything nonetheless

It would be mortification all round if I got my old man something for father’s day. I don’t think I’ve got him anything since I was in high infants. He’s just not the type for that stuff. Similarly he hasn’t got me anything for birthday, xmas or any of that jazz for about 20 years now. I’d do a bit of auld topping or fencing for him during the year like, presents between the men of our house are just a bit gay for our liking.

I wouldn’t give my oul’ fella a tic-tac na’ mind a stamp for a card.

:clap:

I know it all too well. A handshake would be as emotional as it gets, and you’d have to seriously earn one of those.

I know it all too well. A handshake would be as emotional as it gets, and you’d have to seriously earn one of those.[/QUOTE]

It’s only right, can you imagine an Irish father (or mother) saying something like “I love you” to a son ffs. I wouldn’t know where to look.

Have you ever seen the film version of Brian Friel’s ‘Philadelphia Here I Come’? Absolutely nails it.

The book is surely good enough, though. “Another day” etc etc. Then he comes out with the stuff about where to sit on the airplane out of the blue.

Ah yeah I suppose it is. The relationship between the two is brilliant, or the three technically. Great little moments with the question about the fishing boat and Gar’s sailor suit as well. The ‘boys’ are brilliant too. I related to it a hell of a lot more than Hamlet anyway at the time.

Was that LC 99? Related a hell of a lot more than whatever other stuff I was doing anyway. My history special study on Guernica and Philadelphia Here I Come, that’s all I remember from 1999.