Favourite Sporting Moment

What’s the greatest sporting moment you witnessed in person?

There would be a few big ones for me. Obviously a few big days with the club, but Ollie Baker’s goal against Cork, and Jamesie’s winner against Tipp are other huge ones. The one that sticks in my mind above all is the 99 drawn munster semi-final. The silence and the tension on the terrace as Davy Fitzgerald stepped up to that penalty, I’ve never felt anything like it. And then the reaction when we saw the net rattle. Jesus the place just erupted. Was my younger brother’s first munster championship game as well.

Best ever for me.

Leitrim winning Connacht 1994. Not old enough to truly appreciate it though.

Shawn Michaels versus The Undertaker at Wrestlemania XXV - all of it, from start to finish.

:rolleyes:

Is there a strict farmeresque 1-only rule in force on this thread?

I’d go for Celtic 1 Manchester United 0.

Celtic qualify for the latter stages of the European Cup for the first time in ages and it’s won with a peach of a goal with a late penalty save thrown in for good measure. So good it forced Bandage to quit his job.

1. Munster beating Leinster , 2006 semi
  2. Munster winning HEC in 2006
  3. BOD scoring hat trick to beat the French in Paris

Leinster game def tops, the other two are a flip of a coin

the redsox winning their first world series

Their first? They’ve won seven altogether haven’t they?

Correct but first since babe ruth joined yankees. For many red sox fans like myself we consider 2004 to be our first.

The drawn All-Ireland semi-final between Wexford and Cork in 2003 with Rory McCarthy’s last minute equaliser. Was completely drained after it and fell back into my seat for a good 10 mins after it.

TFK’s unprecedented run of seven victories on the trot in the Summer of 2009. All of them.

My tackle in the opening 60 seconds against Strollers FC on 07/07/2009 that forced a member of the opposition to withdraw from the game (although he later reappeared). Strollers were beaten as soon as they shipped that tackle.

that was a great match. wexford looked good at one stage, going 5pts clear early in second half only for cork to turn on the style. Donal og had a very poor season that year and should definitely have saved that goal at the end. larry murphy and adrian fenlon had blinders for ye.

A tie for me.
3rd sept 1995. Eamonn Taafffes goal and then God firing over the 65.
The munster final when Fingers left Ciaran Carey a mile behind and firing over points from all angles.

Leitrim coming out onto Croke Park in the A/I semi-final 1994 to face the Dubs. The entire ground, with the exception of the Hill behind us, the passion, excitement, anticipation lives to this day.
Then we roared into a 0-3 to 0-1 lead. Seamus Quinn’s finest hour, interceptions, catches, thunderous forays from defence.
Alas, the wheels came off about 20 minutes in and despite scoring the last 4 scores, Dublin progressed.
Far better day than the C/F one and felt much better on the Wednesday after as well.:rolleyes:

Leinster’s win v Munster at Croker this year-Rocky shoving the traitor deep into the turf.

Leinster’s Heineken Cup win in Edinburgh-Johnny’s savage drop goal.

96 Leinster Final along the touchline for the last few minutes.

Wexford defeating the greatest team this decade, Tyrone, in the League semi-final at Portlaoise-Foxy’s last minute point in the pisses of rain.

AC Milan v Fenerbahe-Champions League, Kaka gets the ball in his own half and goes past 7 or 8 players to score a class goal.

Woah, woah, woah Pikeman. Let’s not give Foxy Breen the credit for David Fogarty’s winner.

1995 Leinster football final
Dublin 1-18 Meath 1-8 - the last ten minutes a glorious sunburnt orgasm

Ireland 1 Italy 0. Being in the giants for it almost getting crushed

Up there for me as well. Takers face when Shawn kicked out of the tombstone. The Dvd and Blu ray versions of Mania 25 are out now. Awaiting the Blu ray to come by post. :thumbsup:

Unforunately my favourite moment live is the Real Number 9 winner against Lisbon in the 92th minute at Old Trafford. Damm him.

Sorry meant Fogey.

[quote=“briantinnion”]The drawn All-Ireland semi-final between Wexford and Cork in 2003 with Rory McCarthy’s last minute equaliser. Was completely drained after it and fell back into my seat for a good 10 mins after it.

TFK’s unprecedented run of seven victories on the trot in the Summer of 2009. All of them.

My tackle in the opening 60 seconds against Strollers FC on 07/07/2009 that forced a member of the opposition to withdraw from the game (although he later reappeared). Strollers were beaten as soon as they shipped that tackle.[/QUOTE]

One of the greatest games of hurling I ever saw.