Feeling a bit sick

Because I have the utmost of respect for the vast majority of teachers. I had a great school experience in a vocational school/tech as did most of my friends

1 Like

Yep, the majority of public sector would be the same.

Look itā€™s very low risk but the finance ā€˜advisorā€™ always puts the Frighteners on me every year when he brings it up (nice commission). Then I do the sums and I can never justify it.

When I was made permanent 7 years ago I took out cover with Cornmarket arranged through the INTO. Best thing I ever did. I cancelled a ā‚¬19 a month life policy that I had kept paying for my first home I bought in 2001 to pay for it so it was almost cost neutral.

When I sat down with the lad from Cornmarket I never thought that I could get cancer twice. Once perhaps, but not two times and two different types.

Iā€™m about to go on half pay from the Department of Education as I am nearly at the limit of sick days in the 4 year rolling period . Iā€™m going to get 75% of my lost earnings paid by my insurance company, and hopefully will be back at work at Christmas. Itā€™s a bit messy as my insurance pay is on emergency tax but thatā€™s the only downside. Thank fuck I took this out as our savings wouldnā€™t go far without it and Iā€™d be dealing with PTSB not to put the squeeze on us and our ā‚¬1600 a month mortgage.

Teachers sick day arrangements count weekends, bank holidays and days that the school is closed. If Iā€™m sick Monday through Friday it counts as 7 days sick, and 8 if itā€™s a bank holiday weekend. In 2016 when I had leukaemia I missed 63 actual school days that children were in the school, but this was counted as 90 days as it was 7 continuous weeks and included weekends and holidays.

If youā€™re pushing 40 and in a position to get income or illness cover my strong advice is to get it. There are lots of options, but through unions, credit unions, banks, etcā€¦

21 Likes

Thatā€™s a great post. Glad you had it, at least it was one less thing to worry about. Itā€™s tax deductible too.

2 Likes

Similar here. I am in the midst of moving from safe paid employment to a small business set-up and have a long assessment to read from a financial advisor.

Hard to know with these fellas, Iā€™ve been firing the childrenā€™s allowance into a low risk fund based on his advice for a past few years but between average performance and 1.25% admin fee itā€™s only barely beating inflation.

Reckon a lad would be better off investing in a small Timber Lodge and setting up an airbnb joint.

When I joined a union last year there was this income protection thing as well. Got one year cover for free that runs out this summer. Was debating whether to keep it on but after reading your post, I will

That income protection isnā€™t worth a fuck.

1 Like

When you had that breakdown in 2016, did they cover it? Iā€™d like something in place if the nerves went in me.

1 Like

No. They pull all sorts of terms and conditions out of their arse

1 Like

For a long term saving fund for college it makes little sense to put it in a low risk fund. I have an old pension of mine sitting in a fund I cant touch but in highest possible risk class, has delivered 12% after costs last few years. Tax not a factor in the pension fund. Will prob move to a lower risk fund for a few years shortly but if your investing a few hundred a month for the next 15 years or so you have to take a risk with it

1 Like

Was it a rubby playing Tech?

We had a team for a few seasons, but no

Best of luck PB.

We wouldā€™ve been in a similar position nearly 5 years ago but the missus had income protection built in with her pension contributions. No doubt, we wouldā€™ve gone under without that policy

2 Likes

Iā€™m fucking blessed. Iā€™m on full pay while out sick. Plus they only charge me ā‚¬20 a month for the car.

9 Likes

Signing in. I was coughing up chunks of phlegm the weekend and now my nose is running like the source of the Amazon.

Was asleep by 10pm but didnā€™t feel great all evening prior to this. Woke about 30 mins ago in a trance and eventually came to my senses and puked every shade of stuff out of me. Uncontrollable projectile roaring and spewing.

Feel top dollar now.

1 Like

Hard to kill a bad thing!

Did you drink Ayahuasca?

A good clear out every so often is welcome in my book. Iā€™d say an awful lot of sludge is pumped out during a good puke.