Ferdinand, Noble, Nolan and O'Hara

[quote=“briantinnion”]There was an amnesty for this thing and as far as I can remember Nolan was eiligible but needed to declare for us before the amnesty ran out, he didn’t and thus became ineligible until now. I wouldn’t pick him now anyway, if he had come on board first time round he would have had my support but he was clearly holding out for an England call-up.

I think all of these cases need to be judged on a case by case basis. I have all the time in the world for the likes of Kevin Kilbane, grew up feeling Irish and always wanted to play for us. Then you have the others, the likes of Terry Mancini and the immortal line about our national anthem “I hope our one isn’t that bad”, guys like that just cheapen the whole thing.

It’s a tricky one though, you have the likes of NCC who claims to be of Italian descent, would the forum support or slate NCC if he chose to represent the Azzuri? I’d like to think we’d get behind him.

It’s going to be interesting here in the next few years, we’ve always been the ones calling up the players born abroad, but with the influx of foreign nationals we’ve had how long is it going to be before we see some kid born and bred in Tallaght, speaking with a Dublin accent and turning out for Poland?[/QUOTE]

Spot on, Tinnion. There was indeed an amnesty and I remember it for the strange reason that Ben Thatcher used it to declare for Wales and get a few caps for them. Think Brian McLean of Motherwell declared for the Occupied Six at the time too. As for the Poland example, that would be the young lad’s right.

[quote=“The Dunph”]As Farmer suggested, if the likes of say McAteer or Breen had been good enough to be selected for the English U21’s do you think they’d have turned it down?

I think not.[/QUOTE]

Breen certainly would have chosen Ireland
His folk are from Beaufort in Kerry and he talks about going to watch the AIF every September with his auld lad. He also recounts a story about going into school in an Ireland jersey the day after we beat them in Euro 88
Any lad that declares allegiance at an advanced age* shouldn’t be allowed play for us. But any young fellow that declares before 21 should be welcomed with open arms (as long as he can get at least a pass in Irish in the leaving)

*don’t know what age this is but probably under 21/22

The rule was brought in for lads from Africa who declared for france so that they could go back and play for their homeplaces. I therefore think the rule should have been as follows:

A person from Algeria who declares for the french underage team should be allowed return to Algeria.
A person from Algeria who declares for Algeria should not be allowed to invoke the Grandfather rule to move countries.

In summary a person should only be allowed return to their country not fuck off to a different one.

How would this work with a young lad from a foreign country in the UK who’s represented his home country at U21 but has been playing in England for 5/6 years? Like Manuel Almunia. Would that qualify them to switch due to the length of time he’s been in England?

Ferdinand, Noble, O’Hara and Nolan can go and fook.

[quote=“Mac”]How would this work with a young lad from a foreign country in the UK who’s represented his home country at U21 but has been playing in England for 5/6 years? Like Manuel Almunia. Would that qualify them to switch due to the length of time he’s been in England?

Ferdinand, Noble, O’Hara and Nolan can go and fook.[/QUOTE]

I think its five years. Eriksson apparently wanted Malbranque and a few others to declare but was blocked by the FA. Senna sure declared for Spain under that ruling and Camoranesi for Italy I think aswell. Poland have some Brazilian playing for them too.

What would happen if a Brazilian moves to UK and plays from age 15 to 20 - can they claim English citizenship then? And if they move on to say Spain or some other country and play for Brazil at U21 but are never capped. Can they come back and play for England at that stage?

yes to the first part. This will increase in future years as those young players outside the EU look for EU passports like the Da Silva brothers. But most will still play with their home country I’d say if they are good enough.

Probably - but thats a confusing enough scenario. Presumably once your an English citizen you could play for them at any stage no matter where you play your club football.

TFK Exclusive

Kevin Nolan has declared for Ireland.

More news to follow.

[quote=“Bandage”]TFK Exclusive

More news to follow.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Bandage, I am not afraid to say, I will shoot the messenger if this is true.

This better not be true. A cunt of the highest order not to mention that he is a useless cunt. Come back Stevie ireland, Andy Reid, Stephen Reid, Lee Carsley, John Douglas, Joe Gamble all is forgiven

Joe LaPira?

No I wouldnt go that far.

Teen ace McCarthy pledges future to Republic

‘I don’t have any regrets about the decision and will not change my mind. Why would I? I’ve been to Ireland many times on holiday and I love the place’

By Aidan Fitzmaurice

Monday June 15 2009

HAMILTON starlet James McCarthy has given Irish football a major boost by committing his international future to the Republic of Ireland.

The teenager has been on the end of severe abuse in his native Scotland due to his decision to declare for Ireland ahead of the Scots, as McCarthy has won caps at youth and U21 levels. But there were fears in some quarters that the Scottish FA, who rate McCarthy as one of the best young talents in the SPL, would use last week’s rule change on player eligibility by FIFA to persuade McCarthy to declare for Scotland.

But McCarthy, who qualifies through his Donegal-born grandfather, insists that he has made up his mind and is happy to stay with the Republic.

“It’s quite a straightforward situation. Scotland didn’t think I was good enough to play for them at youth level and the Republic of Ireland thought I was good enough,” he said.

"Ireland selected me and Scotland didn’t. I was happy to play for Ireland then and I’m still happy to do so.

"However, had Scotland selected me first then I would have played for them. But that’s not the way it turned out.

"My mum’s dad (Paddy Coyle) was born in Donegal and that’s how I qualify for the Ireland team. I don’t have any regrets about the decision and will not change my mind. Why would I? I’ve been to Ireland many times on holiday and love the place.

“When I’m with the Irish squad they make me feel welcome, although my Glaswegian accent gets a bit of a pounding from a few of the boys. Don Givens is the U21 manager and has been great. Ireland have a great set-up and I’m proud to be involved,” added McCarthy, who admits he would love to follow in the footsteps of Mick McCarthy’s team of 2002 and play at the World Cup finals.

Realistic

“My grandad always watched Ireland on telly, and I was by his side during that tournament. I’d love to be at the World Cup, but I have to be realistic, my main aim is to stay in the Accies team,” he stated.

McCarthy’s assertion that he is sticking with Ireland is a massive boost for the FAI, as Scotland have been putting pressure on the player’s family and club to get him to commit to Scotland. The Scottish FA are still aggrieved to have ‘lost’ the services of another Scot, Aiden McGeady.

McCarthy played his first youth international for the Republic in a win for the U17s over Italy in January 2007, he then made his competitive debut in a European U17 Championship win over Germany two months later, and he made his debut for the Irish U21s in a Euro qualifier against Portugal last September.

He has not featured in the Ireland senior squad so far, despite hints that he would be included in the panel for last year’s friendly against Poland, but there will now be a clamour for Giovanni Trapattoni to hand the player his senior debut in the next international, the friendly against Australia in Limerick next August.

The player is loudly booed in many SPL grounds in Scotland as Scottish fans are unhappy with his defection to Ireland, but the player says he can deal with the pressure and uses it to his advantage.

“I played in every league game. I started 34 and came on as a sub in the other four. It was a great experience, and brilliant that we stayed in the SPL. I loved it all – the whole experience of playing against the Old Firm and going to Ibrox, Parkhead, Tynecastle and Pittodrie,” he says.

"At times, I came in for stick from opposing fans but I tried my best not to let it bother me. I don’t always hear the shouts because I’m focused on my game.

"Once or twice it went over the top, particularly when you consider the reasons for having a go at me. But I tried to turn a negative situation into a positive one. All over the world players get booed for different reasons. They rise above it and don’t go into a shell.

“I used the songs and boos as a way of inspiring me. There was no way I was going to let it get to my game. I think I came out of it all pretty well.”

Meanwhile, the player says he’s flattered by the transfer speculation that has linked him with moves to Celtic as well as Premier League side Portsmouth.

Flattering

“It’s great to attract attention and very flattering. But my feet are on the ground. My mum (Marie) and dad (Willie) wouldn’t have it any other way,” he said.

"The gaffer wouldn’t let me get carried away either. He has been great for me and helped my development.

"If I do move I will have a lot to thank him for. But we’ll see what happens.

"Celtic had a bid rejected and I’ve no idea if they will come back in for me.

"I suppose their priority at the moment is appointing a new manager.

"If a deal is agreed between the clubs in the future I will definitely look at it.

“Celtic are a massive club. They have great supporters and some brilliant players. However, it may be I will need to go down south. I don’t know. I’m really happy at Hamilton and in no rush to go anywhere,” he added.

• Aidan Fitzmaurice

It’s surely time the lad was called up to the Senior squad at this stage. He must be 18 now? He was excellent all season for Hamilton and is better than some of the tripe in the squad at the moment.

Noble is captaining England U21’s tonight.

:rolleyes:

Young McCarthy certainly comes across as a level headed young man in that interview.

Any updates Bandage?

[quote=“myboyblue”]Noble is captaining England U21’s tonight.

:guns:[/QUOTE]

England under 21’s are motoring in the European Championships…3-0 up 40 minutes gone in there semi final with Sweden

What a comeback by the Swedes - 3-3. 3 goals in 15 minutes.:guns: