Fist of Fury February Fast Five (Now Running until Paddy's Day)

Well lads.

During February 2021, many of us did a 5km lockdown running challenge. This year, we thankfully don’t have those restrictions, but to keep us on track, we will do another one this February.

The aim is to run a 5km as fast as you can. You can try as many times as you want over the course of the month. Just give it everything you got, open your legs and express yourself. For some, this will be going under 20 minutes. For others, it’ll be completing 5km.

This year, we can (and are encouraged) to do it as part of a timed race/park run (I’ve never done a 5km race in my life so this will be a new challenge), but don’t worry if it’s a solo endeavour. They all count.

While most of us didn’t know the man personally (with the notable exception of @Achtungbaby), we feel the passing of our e-pal @fistoffury should be marked. So the suggestion is that when you log your time, you also make a small donation to the Bone Marrow For Leukaemia Trust: Donate - Bone Marrow For Leukemia Trust

Hope this all makes sense, and that many of you dust down the runners, flipbelts, buffs, bandanas, and expensive socks, and give it a rattle.

PS - I hope the usage of FoF’s username in thread title is in good taste, but if anyone who knew the man wants it removed, I’ll do that straight away.

27 Likes

@Juhniallio , 2022 is not a leap year.

Great idea @caulifloweredneanderthal. Thanks for getting the ball rolling

Nice idea/tribute @caulifloweredneanderthal. :clap:

@Mac laying down the gauntlet :eyes:

Edit: I see you adopted the @Locke strategy of starting on top of a mountain, but at least you went back up it again.

4 Likes

There’s a race on that route at the end of the month just from a different starting point so I wanted to give it a look. The local park run is on a fairly flat route so that’ll be where I’ll go for the official entry I’d say

2 Likes

I presume we can have as many cracks at the 5km during the month as we like (cc @caulifloweredneanderthal). I therefore cordially invite you to post that run to claim the clubhouse lead. Maybe a few times/runs being posted might light a fire under folk and get the competition moving.

Cc @Bandage @Mac

I think if we did a team comp this year, Wexford would romp home

1 Like

Right so, I don’t expect this to be at the top for long but I’ll get the ball rolling then. Strava said I did the 5k in 22:06 so not sure where the extra 5 seconds came from but I’ll take 22:11 as my first entry.

9 Likes

Lovely clipping there.

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

Incoming …

I won’t be as magnanimous as @Mac & take the time on the first pic. I’ll correct for the extra 0.02km and take the 19:43 on the second one. I’m happy to break the previously mythical 20-minute barrier, albeit on a nice/favourable loop.

22 Likes

Well done @Bandage - it was always going to be easy for you to knock me off pole position with no hills to run up…

2 Likes

That’s unreal. :clap:
You could go lower again in a race type situation.

Were you bolloxed at the end?

1 Like

I wasn’t totally bolloxed, but I was giving myself a few reminders in the last 500m to try eke out another few seconds and I wasn’t finding much. I felt I probably could have sustained 4:00/km pace for another km or two maybe so I think you’re right & that I could/should go lower in a race. I wouldn’t say there’s much more improvement to find though.

3 Likes

Don’t let Coach Fenway hear you saying that!

1 Like

Ah here, that’s fucking sensational again.

1 Like

unreal

1 Like

I think he was just trying to fit in as much horse lingo as possible

1 Like

It’s a great feeling when you do a PR. Congrats pal, you’re going great guns for this time of year.

1 Like