Fist of Fury February Fast Five (Now Running until Paddy's Day)

@Bandage how long is it since you started your offical training program/me to go sub 25?

Tip of iceberg stuff. Serious effort on your own. You will obliterate that time by end of marathon plan.

He is still well handicapped @TreatyStones

4 Likes

My advice is probably useless but my feeling with 5k is that you go out very very fast and hold on, in your case that would be about 7:20 for the first 2k,
Like there’s only so fast you can run, and you’re never gonna do a 3:30 in the past kilometre no matter how much is in the tank.
Under 19 by the end of summer is a certainty for you though , incredible arc

1 Like

I think I tried and failed to go sub 25 in last February’s challenge, but dipped under it last March.

Fenway’s training programme for the half marathon last November started in September, if I recall correctly, and within that there was an aim to go sub 22 for 5km. I achieved that during October at Parkrun.

Ive been edging closer to sub 20 pace since the turn of the year during internal club races and at the Raheny 5 Mile at the end of January.

12 Likes

Amazing. Just don’t let the Raheny cunts take all the credit for @fenwaypark’s work.

3 Likes

Here’s my effort. Happy to go under 25 mins and it was two laps so any downhills were more than compensated with the uphill drag by the recycling centre :hot_face:.

11 Likes

Brilliant running

1 Like

That’s a sensational time. You wouldn’t look out of place in an inter-county pre-season 5km run with a time like that.

1 Like

Great running boss :clap:

2 Likes

Just a bump on this.

Hoping to do a parkrun Saturday. I’m well back on where I was last year, but I’ll give it a lash and see where I’m at.

7 Likes

Good man . There’s a 5km race here at end of month that I was eyeing up but the Mrs is working that Saturday so I can’t get out. I’ll have to fit in some kind of solo effort

1 Like

I think it will be a good boost for this prestigious competition when tomorrow’s parkrunners toe the line. Hopefully there’ll be a bunch of times posted over the weekend.

@Bandage you’ll need to get the patented raheeny adjustment calculator out for this one.

Happy-ish with the run, thought I might be able to hold 4:20 a bit better but apparently it’s generally a very slow course as a lot of sharp turns (excuses out of the way).

9 Likes

Well done pal. :clap:

https://myrunningpace.com/long-short/

The link is good for all distances long and short!

If it’s a parkrun then I’d say your time is good. The GPS for laps can be all over the place so just take your official parkrun finishing time if that’s ok with @caulifloweredneanderthal

3 Likes

Official time exact same as above. 21:26

2 Likes

Can we do a 5k walk?

1 Like

You can indeed. You can crawl it if you wish.

1 Like

Did this route again this evening as part of the local night run. Course clocks a bit shorter but using the Raheny calculator yoke my 5km time would be around 21:25 which I think puts me ahead of @TreatyStones by a second :joy:

Kilometre 2 and 3 were all uphill with a freezing gale in our faces so I’m quietly smug about the time. Not a 5km PB but only about 10 seconds off it. If the legs are recovered I might do a parkrun on Saturday but I’d say it’s unlikely.

Cmon out and run lads, only a few days left and money will go to a good cause for another of our departed friends

7 Likes

You’re some prick. I’d a long run planned for the weekend but I dunno can I let that lie.

1 Like