Fitness XL- Your training routine

It’s clear this board needs another fitness thread, but one solely for lads to put up their current programs, aims and progress. Please leave all discussions of gait analysis out of here as that is what the original fitness thread is for.

I’m still in holiday mode and unsure of what training routine I want to follow over the next 8-10 weeks but It’s going to revolve around a lot of stamia based ( body weight) interval work i.e burpees, Sprints,pull ups, push ups, squats, jumping split lunges etc

Who wants to start us off ?

Kev do you do much in way of plyometrics in you warm up?

I jog a 7km loop a few times a wk weather permitting.
Weights 2 times wk based on DL,Squat,Shoulder Press, Bench press,Single Arm Rows, DB Lunges, Pull Ups. 35 if I go heavy, 315 for light. Rows 315 each arm, lunge 310 each leg both forwards and back,Pull Ups *3 to failure.
Throw in a few 15-20 min crossfit routines now and again.

Aim is pure vanity. Look fit/good in tight cloths. Comfortablely ware a 32" waist jeans. Basically pull and shag more! :cool:

Them be the main reasons for every man if we are honest. Except mbb that is, he works out down the bog for the sheer fun of it.

Kevin, how good is cycling to lose the belly? How much of it would you have to be doing and how far? I’ve done three 80-100km cycles over the past three weeks along with another three or four in the 40-50km range.

Road running is becoming too hard on my joints these days.

You should do most of your running on grass Sid. Head down to the phoenix park and do a few loops of the 15 acres.

I do three weights sessions a week (low to mid rep range), mainly built around the major compound lifts but with a few vanity lifts thrown in for the sake of variety. I usually do two core sessions a week, and a 5k run (usually through intervals) on non-lifting days. I might do
some skipping or bodyweight circuits now and again if I’m sick of running. Diet is at least as important as what you actually do I reckon, possibly more important.

+1.

Diet is abot 70 or 80% of it…

Anyway, skipping is something I also really want to get into but I’m obviously gonna look like a mong tripping myself up for the first few months. Any good tips here or just keep at it? If I can find a partner in crime I think I’m going to invest in one of those punch/kid pads and do some sort of interval skipping and boxing workout.

I would run at least 50miles/80K most weeks. These would be a combination of easy runs, steady runs, tempo runs, intervals, progressive runs and I try to do one LSD.

I only run about three races a year, the 5m, 10m and half marathon down the Phoenix park.

I ran the 5m in 29mins 39secs which was good enough for 51st out of a field of 4000 plus.

The Frank Duffy 10m is on next Saturday and I would be hoping to go sub 63mins.

Thought you said you could eat what you like once you train hard?

Do any of ye lads play sport to any type of serious level or is it totally for vanity as Albert says?

I said you can, within reason, but it is all relative to your aims and goals.

I don’t play sport, my ankles are a disaster and just not worth it any more… I’d play a couple of games of 7 aside a week and I have to strap both well up.

Some of it is vanity, and fellas would be lying if they said other wise, but I like to challenge and push myself, whether it be lifting weights or cardio. But really It’s the feel good factor that comes with feeling fit-that release of endorphins- the mental benefits of exercising cannot be underestimated.

70-90km cycling during the week with an 80-100km spin at the weekend. Took this week off after the TdeM, back again now this week ahead of the Kelly

Yes, first of a dynamic warm up variety and then one legged hops and the like. Low reps though and not full intensity. What you are really warming up there is tendons and ligaments as much as muscles.

My sporting activity is generally to try and stave off the early heart attack that the rest of my lifestyle makes more likely.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 704214”]Kevin, how good is cycling to lose the belly? How much of it would you have to be doing and how far? I’ve done three 80-100km cycles over the past three weeks along with another three or four in the 40-50km range.

Road running is becoming too hard on my joints these days.[/quote]

It’s not bad, but long slow anything won’t burn fat as fast as fast shorter bursts. Think 1.5 KM at high pace, 500m real slow. Or something like that. Enough recovery anyway to leave you go hard again, it’s that simple.

[quote=“gola, post: 704220”]

Thought you said you could eat what you like once you train hard?

Do any of ye lads play sport to any type of serious level or is it totally for vanity as Albert says?[/quote]

It’s a way of life for me now goal, but I have improved UN all sports I play still to this day. I can safely say that at real close to 35 I’m a far better boxer and footballer than I was at 25. I’m fitter, faster, stronger, leaner and far more healthy now than 10 years ago.

I’d got down to my lightest in years before the wedding in April at around 12.5 stone. Have let myself go from then over the summer travelling and put another stone and a bit back on. Starting a new regime from tomorrow now that I’m back. Have no interest in weights so it’ll be purely cardio. I noticed earlier in the year that the more long runs I did, even at a slower pace, the more weight fell off me. Going to try get a 1 hour run in at least 2-3 times a week for the first few weeks along with some gym work or classes. As said above, diet is key. The Cluaindiuic endorsed MyFitnessPal is a great tool for tracking diet, exercise & weight. Without that I think I’m at nothing. Long term goal will be Gaelforce 2013. Plenty of events before then to keep me ticking over.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 704214”]Kevin, how good is cycling to lose the belly? How much of it would you have to be doing and how far? I’ve done three 80-100km cycles over the past three weeks along with another three or four in the 40-50km range.

Road running is becoming too hard on my joints these days.[/quote]

I dont think cycling is any good to remove a gut as Kev says. I did 50km spins yesterday and today in 30 degree heat, just to keep the heart ticking over like. Suppose i would do around 150km a week.

:clap: