Fitness XL- Your training routine

Someone put up some sort of ideas for a proper diet. My diet is utter crap at the moment.

Check the official TFK Diet and Nutrition thread, pal:

http://www.thefreekick.com/board/topic/16413-diet-nutrition/page__hl__nutrition__fromsearch__1

Breakfast: Porridge, banana, natural yoghurt, almonds, milk.

Lunch/Dinner: Wholegrain pasta, chicken, assorted veg.

Lunch/Dinner: Tuna, eggs, milk, wholegrain bread, apple.

Others: Beans, peanut butter, unsalted nuts, cheese, rice, turkey, sweet potato, protein shakes.

That would be a pretty clean diet. Main thing is not to buy shite food (too much sugar or too much salt) when you go to the shop. If it’s not in the house it’s easy to stop eating it.

For anyone taking their diet seriously, figuring out your calorie needs is essential. There are heaps of calculators online to help you do it. Once you’ve done that, eat 500 calories a day more if you’re trying to put on weight, 500 less if you’re trying to lose it, and see how you go.

If you’re putting on weight try to eat a 40/30/30 breakdown for carbs/protein/fat, and try to eat a minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, and 1.5 grams if at all possible. If you’re getting enough protein and you’re not exceeding your caloric needs, you can pretty much eat whatever you want to be honest.

Shoot me to fuck will you that’s one tasteless menu, lads go mad, nothing wrong with meat and two veg and a fry once or twice a week, no deep fried food or rubbish much, this crap of two chocolate biscuits a week is BS too don’t eat a packet and don’t have em every day either.
I love lads on a diet drinking two bottles of lucozade after 10 minutes of a jog, or telling you the trimmed the fat off the steak, grilled a chop etc while consuming another bottle of said drink.
Christ tis easy lads the amount of food you consume is related to the amount of physical activity you do.
WTB’s menu is good (don’t tell him I said that), I’d add fish, potatoes, and dried fruit (leave the prunes alone, I don’t bother with the protein shakes myself
I’d go with something like,
Coffee and brown toast, Porridge (if you were fit, I add two scrambled eggs to that)
Wrap with sliced steak, peppers, onions and a bit of garlic, I’d eat that hot or cold (you could have it with rice too)
I’ve been known to have snack midday of ham and cheese sandwich, wrap, toastie
Dinner, I always eat a good dinner usually of meat and two veg with spuds, I’d have the equivalent of two if not three chicken breast, half a broccoli and carrots and steamed spuds in their jackets.
4 days out of the 7 I’d have dessert apple tart, a handy bit of crumble or a bowl of ice cream

Can’t beat fruit as a late night snack

Avoid white sliced pan, junk food, crisps, fast food , minerals (soft drink to townies), energy drinks

Funny enough white bread is good for you after exercise, a turkey white sandwich is the best in fact. The sugars in white bread are good for recovery.

High protein diet is the way to go for me, but everyone is different. Recent research is saying protein is as important for energy as carbs. Any I would tell anyone, play around with diets for a few weeks each and write down how you feel etc. Then review, everyone is different.

Turf - do you work physically for a living? That alters dramatically what your intake should be. My work is always reasonably physical and often very physical. If it’s very physical I’ll reduce the training ti match an up my food intake. Can easily take in 3-4000 calories on days and still feel like I’m losing weight, which I don’t really want.

Currently following a fenway park designed training plan for Dublin marathon. Bit ahead of schedule on it so may do Mooathon marathon also.
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day7
Easy Run Cycle Race Pace Race Pace Cycle Rest LSD
Week 1 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 7miles Cycle Rest 12 miles
Week 2 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 7miles Cycle Rest 13 miles
Week 3 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 7miles Cycle Rest 14 miles
Week 4 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 7miles Cycle Rest 15 miles
Week 5 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 8miles Cycle Rest 16 miles
Week 6 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 8miles Cycle Rest 16 miles
Week 7 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 7miles Cycle Rest 16 miles
Week 8 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 7miles Cycle Rest 17 miles
Week 9 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 10miles Cycle Rest 17miles
Week 10 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 7miles Cycle Rest 17 miles
Week 11 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 10 miles Cycle Rest 18 miles
Week 12 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 10miles Cycle Rest 20miles
Week 13 7 miles Cycle 7 miles 5 miles Cycle Rest 12 miles
Week 14 3 miles Cycle 3 miles 3miles Rest Rest Race

Yes I have an active job I’ve asked the question here before about rest, lads would be suggesting a nap to recover, I’ve cows to feed or work to do.

I’d suggest eating more protein and fruit, as you say a nap is rarely in the cards, although an old siesta is apparently very healthy. More sleep, longer life they say.

I had a free trial at a gym yesterday evening… first thing I looked for was a squat rack. Not a sign of one in the place http://cp12-eu.stablehost.com/~thefreek/board/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

I’d be hoping to do something like ALBERTS routine.

Weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays doing

Warm up with a 5 min crossfit session
DeadLifts, Squats, Shoulder Press, Bench press, Single Arm Rows, Lunges, Pull Ups.
Warm down with 20 lengths of a 20m pool

Then at weekend, run a 5k circuit and build up a bit of pace over time.

I play astro once a week also.

eat as normal but fast 2 days a week

I’m not completely sold on this IF mate?

Are you at 16/8 yet or did you go all out?

[quote=“Kinvara, post: 704240”]

Lads, please move this to the official Diet and Nutrition page moderated by Bandage, he will answer your queries. This is for workout routines only. Thank you.

I did a weights session on Tuesday evening and plan doing another one this evenings… Tuesday was my first session in nearly a year and I didn’t do many reps and I kept the weights low.

I am still sore as fcuk today around the shoulders and pecks.

Should I fire ahead with this evenings session or just leave it for another day? Anything I can do to improve recovery?

[quote=“Kinvara, post: 704242”]

That’s fairly normal, kp. I missed three weeks during the summer due to an op and my muscles were on fire after the first session I did. The second day of recovery is always worse than the first as well so it’d make sense for you to be hurting today. If it’s just muscle ache as opposed to an actual injury (constricting your movement) then I’d just work through it brah. I don’t know if that’s the right thing to do but I’ve done it and not felt any ill effects. Presumably you wouldn’t be doing the exact same lifts anyway?

I was the same- Did chest monday for the first time in a couple of months, and my tits were killings me. Really only hit last night while having a kick around… As wtb says, push on through it and work lower body maybe.

[quote=“Kinvara, post: 704242”]

still sounds like you did too much too soon to be honest damage done now might as well ball on.

I haven figures out reccovery myself one think I will say is it sounds like you need a cool down /warm down

Session 4: Week 2

[font=tahoma][size=3]Warm up - 10 min cross trainer[/size][/font]

[font=“tahoma”][color="#666666"][size=3]DeadLifts 5 x 5 (20Kg… don’t laugh you cunts, I am only starting out and I’ll build them up slowly :guns:)[/size][/font][font=tahoma][size=3] [/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Squats [/size][/font][font=tahoma][size=3]5 x 5 (20Kg)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Bench press [/size][/font][font=tahoma][size=3]5 x 5 (20Kg)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Single Arm Rows [/size][/font][font=tahoma][size=3]5 x 5 (15Kg)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Lunges 5 x 5 (30kg)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Pull Ups (Can only do 4 of these fcukers yet)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Dips 5 x 3[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma][size=3]20 minutes run at 10 k//hr on treadmill. [/size][/font]

[font=tahoma][size=3]Warm down with 20 lengths of a 20m pool. [/size][/font]

[font=tahoma][size=3]I am eating like an absolute cunt all evening. [/size][/font]

Good stuff.

What’s the aim here? That 5x 5 is ok for starting off but it can be tough on the body if you move on to much heavier weights.

Remember to mix it up and change routine every 6-8 weeks as the body adjusts and needs to be shocked.

Thanks CM.

The aim… not sure really. Just said I’d give it a go for the next 2 months and see where it goes. Get body fat down below 12% would be nice.

I’m a bit of of shape of late, no over weight as such but could do with a clean up.

Trying to improve my anaerobic fitness at the moment…

Doing shuttles…

5 x 120m 15 sec rest between reps
1 min rest
5 x 90m same rest as above
1 min rest
5 x 20m same rest