Fitness XL- Your training routine

You’re impotent?

I’ve been following a training plan similar to the one in the link. Ive varied it slightly though to include a swim and weights session on Monday’s. The aim is to take part in some triathlons next year. Also signed up for a few cycle events.

http://www.killarneyadventurerace.ie/files/KAR-Intermediate-Training-Plan.pdf

Quick off the mark cm, no not impotent.

It was a typographical error.

Yeah it will build up a bit of strenght , as long as you are progressing each week with the weights.

After that though, if you really want to get down to a low percentage of body fat, start doing body resistance interval training like a combo of burpees, squat, push ups, pull ups, split jump lunge sprintetc etc.

Skipping, boxing, sit ups is another one I’d like to get into .

A serious conditioning session is to do a mix of run/burpees. Fast trot about 200 yards and do 5-10 burpess ( 5 if starting out, 10 if more advanced) Fast trot back 200 yards do another 5-10 burpees. Complete 4 times for one set, do 3 such sets resting 2 minutes in between.

You can mess around with the distance between and speed of run and amount of sets as you progress. Serious workout tho.

You should get some advice from a personal trainer/gym instructor/ gym user to try and see what you max out at each exercise and scale back from there .ie bench press max 60kg, do 15 reps*3 at 50kg, good form and build it up over the weeks. The kgs outlined here are way way understated.Anyone able to do 4 perfect pullups should be deadlifting multipuls of 20 kg. Definately add in shoulder press.

Yeah, your right… Just said I’d start small and work my way up rather than doing an injury taking on too much weight. That said I have got no proper advice on this. The shower of headless young lads in the gym I use wouldn’t inspire much confidence.

Fair play Count. IM is the toughest work out of the lot if you ask me. I literally cant have eaten for 4 to 5 hours before I’d do a session or I’d barf.

120m flat out with a 15sec rest x 5 is a serious level of fitness.

i dunno kp, had to come off in our last champ game… with about 15 min left, had nothing left, was only playing corner back.

saying that i didnt get much sleep the night before due to a house party in my place…not the best preparation…

Senior club hurling?

Could be alot of things… dehydration? Sleep deprivation? An “Off-Day”, Age?

Did you hold your own until then or were you getting the run around all through?

Intermediate football quarter final…(the big leagues) held my own… im 29 so age shouldnt be a huge factor… prob combo of sleep dep and my diet the week of the game…

Count that training g at this time if the year is madness. The running is too long and te rests too short. No wonder you were fucked.

You should always ask the question, why am I doing this training? What is the purpose of it? When will I see the benefits? Is it relative to my sport? Is it relative to my position? Is it the right training for what I am trying to achieve.

Not trying to be a dick, but the answer to all those questions for you, right now based on the info you have released to us are all pretty much negative. Your fucking yourself up fir championship if your still in it.

[quote name=‘Kinvara’s Passion’ timestamp=‘1346186896’ post=‘663227’]Session 4: Week 2

[font=tahoma][size=3]Warm up - 10 min cross trainer[/size][/font]

[font=“tahoma”][color="#666666"][size=3]DeadLifts 5 x 5 (20Kg… don’t laugh you cunts, I am only starting out and I’ll build them up slowly )[/size][/font][font=tahoma][size=3] [/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Squats [/size][/font][font=tahoma][size=3]5 x 5 (20Kg)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Bench press [/size][/font][font=tahoma][size=3]5 x 5 (20Kg)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Single Arm Rows [/size][/font][font=tahoma][size=3]5 x 5 (15Kg)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Lunges 5 x 5 (30kg)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Pull Ups (Can only do 4 of these fcukers yet)[/size][/font]
[font=tahoma][size=3]Dips 5 x 3[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma][size=3]20 minutes run at 10 k//hr on treadmill. [/size][/font]

[font=tahoma][size=3]Warm down with 20 lengths of a 20m pool. [/size][/font]

[font=tahoma][size=3]I am eating like an absolute cunt all evening. [/size][/font][/quote]

Don’t worry about the weights KP. remember you ate training movements, not muscles. I could get very technical and if I had one on one with someone and be able ti test their weaknesses I may not prescribe some if the 5x 5 exercises. But in a general sense I like the 5x 5, as there is great balance to it and it really training all the important movements.

Because you are starting off you could proba Lu go 6 weeks straight on it and make progress. Then deload ( do a very light week). And go again. Me myself I wouldn’t do that because of my training age and actual age. I would go on a 3:1 or even 2:1 split of weeks. That would be train for 2 or 3 and rest fir one week. Recovery is more important for me than it would be for someone new to weights or a young person.

Best if luck. Ignore what Albert said about the correlation between pull ups and dead lifts, it’s utter tripe.

He was right though about getting a shoulder exercise in, maybe Military Press ?

Not totally necessary, but I’m nit shooting it down either. There is shoulder work in lunges (isometric), Bench (anterior deltoids), pull ups (traps), rows and dips are all shoulders.

Depends on what you are looking for, and possible what his occupation is. Is KP A farmer?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 704259”]Count that training g at this time if the year is madness. The running is too long and te rests too short. No wonder you were fucked.

You should always ask the question, why am I doing this training? What is the purpose of it? When will I see the benefits? Is it relative to my sport? Is it relative to my position? Is it the right training for what I am trying to achieve.

Not trying to be a dick, but the answer to all those questions for you, right now based on the info you have released to us are all pretty much negative. Your fucking yourself up fir championship if your still in it.[/quote]

Cheers Kev, I only have done this twice since Saturday (that’s when the game was)

Simply trying to make some gains… Any suggestions?

Waiting to hear back from a Pt here…

I’d have reservations on a PT. unless he is a hurler/footballer involved with coaching or team sports I really doubt he’ll send you the right way. But the right person might just do that. You may be lucky, ask his background anyway.

I would add, at the very start if the week a sprint session with some Plyometrics added and flexibility at the end. Something like this.

In and out in 45 mins, no longer.

Warm up - do joint mobility exercises, then dynamic exercises like lunges etc. Glute raises off the ground x 10 (to fire up the glutes and hammys ). Burps x 5 ( wake up the nervous system)

When well warmed up do the following

Tuck jumps 2 x 13 secs with 1 min rest.
Rocket jumps 2 x 13 secs with 1 min rest
Lunge jumps 2 x 13 sec …
Line hops 2 x 13 sec …
Jump bounds for height x 30 M x 1 (x 2 or 3 as the weeks go on)
Jump bounds for distance x 30 M x 1 …

Sprints ( all full recovery) usually 3:1 rest:sprint ratio, or walk back. But quality over quantity is important.

2x 30M flying
2x 30M standing start
2x 5,10,15M shuttles.

Add reps every week for sprints, but deload week of a big game and only do 1 of everything I have above.

Cheers Kev, appreciate it.

Thanks Kev, Invaluable advice.

Albert** you cunt I could have killed myself with your advice. :guns:

sort out a shoulder exercise- military press maybe.

Kev seeing as your doling out the advice.

Fitness is reasonable (at best). What would you recommend if I wanted to have a craic off some white collar boxing?

Any tips for getting over the fear of having my nose pulverised all over my face, again! How likely is it

[quote=“dancarter, post: 704268”]Kev seeing as your doling out the advice.

Fitness is reasonable (at best). What would you recommend if I wanted to have a craic off some white collar boxing?

Any tips for getting over the fear of having my nose pulverised all over my face, again! How likely is it[/quote]

Well Get boxing. Get a trainer to show you the very basics of your stance, get him to show you the footwork and punching technique of a 1-2 and practice the shit out of that.

Practice the speed ball, this gets your eye in and all that (it’s frustrating as fuck at the start) but it also trains the muscles you need to keep your hands up, which is the most important thing starting off.

I say go for it, the buzz of it all will be great. As for being mis matched, I really do 't know enough about it to know where to go who’s safe and who’s not, but it is a mixed bag as you just do 't know who actual has a bit of boxing talent. It might be you as well as anyone else. But I think tree are rules that in your first fight you can’t fight anyone else who has more than 2 or something like that.

Go to a club, tell a trainer exactly what your at. Don’t just rock up, train and do you own thing, recipe for disaster.