Fitness XL- Your training routine

[quote name=‘Kinvara’s Passion’ timestamp=‘1346255562’ post=‘663609’]

Thanks Kev, Invaluable advice.

Albert** you cunt I could have killed myself with your advice. [/quote]

Also, give yourself targets KP. For ORM (one rep max) as a field sports person you could set a target for a years time of lifting the following as a minimum.

1.5 of your bodyweight for deadlift
1.2 … For squat
1.0… For bench
1.2…for chins

But another thing, personally (others might disagree ). I would never do more than 15 reps of a deadlift in a session. So 3 x 5 or 5x3. Dead lifting puts alot of strain on your central nervous system. It would almost be in a category with Olympic lifts like full snatchs or cleans. So just drop that down a little.

I’d more or less agree with that. I do a light warm up of 60kg x 10. I increase weight and do a combo of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 increasing weight as I go. I can’t see how fellas would be doing 3 x 10 near max weight, must be putting seriuos strain on them.

KP - CM may have a point in military press. But I would drop the bench press for it. Shoulder more appropriate fir a hurler. Bench not tha functional and your getting upper body push with military press.

Also change the lunges to reverse lunges. These attack the glutes more and you do 't want to over do the quads thri squats. Squas are fine but make sure you are sitting back in them. Uf you struggle with this change to front squats.

I’m thinking hurling here KP, so others may have different goals. Nothing wrong with 5x5’s, just adjust for yourself.

A mate of mine did this last year. It’s run by a city boxing club as an annual charity event, so they got proper training 3 times a week and were very well matched up when it came to fight night.

I had expected the fights themselves to be tame enough affairs as all the participants would have trained together for over 2 months, but it was a cracking nights entertainment. There was some serious bouts and a bit of blood spilled too.

He can always throw in some push ups into his week if he really wants hard tits.

Great stuff lads…

I suppose my ultimate goal is to wear a tight fitting Kinvara jersey, drop into Jordans in Ballindereen some fine evening and start swinging like fuck at any hick that looks at me sideways.

What sort of push-ups are best?

I can’t do the military ones as I’m afraid my shoulder will pop out

Try the civilian ones in that case.

Dont be a drama Queen! Any man dead lifting 20kg is a confirmed complete pussy.Especially one strong enough to carry out pull ups. It took me 4months press ups, inverted rows, should/military presses to get 1 pull up. Man Up. Get your technique down for the squat and DL and lift some weight. I’d be amazed if you couldn’t dl 50/60 kg. As an aside if you are doing 5*5 you need a spotter. If you work out alone just do lighter weights more reps.Good luck!

Alert, you may mean well but your thinking is dangerous. If that’s what he is comfortable with then that’s fine. Squat and dead lift are the most important techniques in a gym, get them wrong, or over do them and your in for a world of pain.

Technique is everything, start light, get technique right and then add weight.

An injury may not effect your posing performances on the dance floor mate but to a serious junior hurler like myself it could have drastic consequences.

The information supplied by Kev and CM on this thread is top of the drawer stuff.

I’ve already stated that he needs to get his technique down. To suggest someone with the functional strength to do 4 pull ups can’t ,with good technique, DL 50 kg as dangerous is bizarre. The avg guy off the street, once shown technique, could dl 50 kg. The same guy wouldn’t get 1 mm in a pull up attempt.

Whatever was wrong with me last week seems to have been an aberration…

Played 90 mins in the engine room last night… hounding lads so similar enough to corner back play obviously with the exception of physical contact…

Still happy enough though.

Ha ha ha,

I actually got confused between push ups and pull ups.
What an hilarious mis-understanding.

I can do 70 press-ups in two minutes.

Kevin put this runt in his place.

[quote=“Appendage, post: 704284”]

Kevin put this runt in his place.[/quote]

Well it’s easy for a little fella to get confused. He has to get pushed up so he can do a pull up.

No, I don’t, I do a little jump from the step, which results in me rocking all over the place for the first couple.

Runt, what exactly is your question here? Are you pulling or pushing?

My question was meant to be on the pull up.
What is the best type?

Arms close together, palms facing away from you
Or arms close together, palms facing towards you
Or the wide-arm ones (which I can’t do)

You have described chin ups and pull ups runt, you’ve completely fucking lost it. Which one is it. They are both primary back exercises. Chins develop the arms more.

Try towel chins, throw a towel ore a bar, get a grip on each side and go for it. They are vicious, but Savage for fore arm strength and grip. It might take a while to do them.

Not being able to do chin ups or pull ups is not a greet sign though. One is either weak for their weight or very imbalanced. A session of posterior exercises only for a month once or twice a week might be the answer. Something like this;

Deadlift x 3 x 4 (2-3 min rest)
Pull ups x max x 4 (2 mins rest between sets at least)
Swiss ball glute raises x 10 x 4
Chins x max x 4
Planks x 1 min x 4

There you go, no more swinging and falling off.