Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann

Heading in for a few :beers: now cracking evening for it

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind the pints, but I’d rather have my ears pulled off than listen to the shite

Towin was hopping apparently only gets really busy from Thursday onwards

2 Likes

What shite?

1 Like

The music, I can’t stand it :man_shrugging:

What music? Trad?

You better answer this now.

You’d miss @HBV for this weekend

11 Likes

I was only thinking of him earlier… Im sure he’s up there with the pipes

Traditional music is quite possibly what defines us as Irish people. It’s been carried from generations to what it is today often by poor, oppressed people. The likes Martin Hayes and the late Líam Óg O’Flynn, amongst hundred of others, were musical maestros and their works should never be spoken of in such a disparaging manner.

14 Likes

Traditional music is extremely varied. Some of the concertina led stuff doesn’t do it for me… But you couldn’t dare label it all the same to the point that you come out with my ears bleed auld shite. He’s clearly being a bit edgy. You couldn’t but not listen to Martin Hayes etc and not feel alive. Some of the old slip jigs would have you up shouldering the mrs. Then youd have slower pipe or whistle stuff that would have you crying your heart out for scores of generations gone by. Pop infused stuff by Clannad or Planxty … Christ, life without traditional Irish music isn’t worth living…

Here’s one to get you going pal… the Dubliners…kitty come down from Limerick

7 Likes

Trad music is awful auld shite. I’d burn every accordion in the country, they are just boxes of misery. Just because it’s native to this island doesn’t mean it’s good.

As for folk, that’s proper music. And Irish folk is very very good.

1 Like

You uppity croagh cunt.

2 Likes

So educate me where the folk scene sprung from - beardy flutes adding a few lines to traditional airs.

1 Like

He’ll be there lilting away

1 Like

Have you the Limerick top on?

1 Like

Met a family from Bruff up for the week the kids were in their jerseys

1 Like

I like a bit of the auld trad but did Douglas Hyde and the lads not invent the whole thing in the 1890s?

Fair to say this was one of the high points of the genre. When i first heard it i went out and tipped over a police land rover, rescued a cat from up a tree and won senior county and provinc…(@anon67715551 …)

7 Likes

What an epic array of Irish traditional musicians…Lunny, Molloy and the great Tommy Peoples RIP…
Terrific choice by the way.
Yet there’s lads pontificating about such cross as the Corrs and the Blizzards. Disturbing…

3 Likes