Fodder Crisis

So what is this Fodder Crisis that I have been hearing farmers banging on about? Is this a ploy to get some more grant money or something or is there a real problem?

Jose Mourinho has plenty of fodder he wants to get rid of after last night.

Townie cunt

Brendan Rogers has the same problem. :slight_smile:

Boom Boom!

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2762122506/ae5ae77941e72c89953ba8059d414a14.jpeg

If you canā€™t feed you herd you need to sell a few of them.

Why would you let them ā€œdie in the fieldsā€ rather than go your nearest mart and offload a few?

[quote=ā€œThe Runt, post: 764379, member: 181ā€]If you canā€™t feed you herd you need to sell a few of them.

Why would you let them ā€œdie in the fieldsā€ rather than go your nearest mart and offload a few?[/quote]

Ah but who will buy them?

[quote=ā€œThe Runt, post: 764379, member: 181ā€]If you canā€™t feed you herd you need to sell a few of them.

Why would you let them ā€œdie in the fieldsā€ rather than go your nearest mart and offload a few?[/quote]
Agreed, cattle prices were never as good with local demand strong & export demand also picking up. While some farmers in disadvantaged areaā€™s are indeed suffering, the bulk of the noise being made is for monetary gain imo.
Look at the media game Dairygold played last week for example, importing Hay from England & stating they were selling at cost price ffs. :rolleyes: There is plenty of Hay in Ireland i can assure ye but this was a calculated move by the Dairygold board to get kudos from the media.

Things are tough for farmers as the winter has been lengthy no doubt but those who need fodder urgently are well able to source it in Ireland. Or as the Runt has pointed out, sell the stock.

Culchie shit kicking cuntsā€¦

Can Bandage please shed some light on this?

Unfortunately not, chewy louie. My career has taken a different path in recent months and itā€™s now the situation in the peripheral EU economies occupying my time - the recent events in Cyprus caused me untold stress, as you can well imagine.

The poor cunts of animals must have been starving by the time Hay arrived from England.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401839_640371629309938_1797201110_n.jpg

I am not a farmer, however, I do see some of the havoc being wrought at the moment. Whilst there are a few ā€˜wisha God helpus merchantsā€™, there are a lot of farmers who are not making any noise and just trying to survive without losing stock in their droves. The following points apply to previous points made:-

1. Many farmers cannot sell what they have if they are locked up with bovine TB they are not allowed to trade in the open market.
  2. Those that can sell, who will buy them? Thousands of farmers in the same boatā€¦
  3. For many farmers in various parts of the country, its not that they did no make enough, its that they made enough for their typical winter (Oct- March/beginning of April) but then had to put stock into shed last September and and some of them still have stock in sheds, an 8 month winter is way out of the norm. I know one lad whos stock are in more or less since last August.
  4. What Farmers did save as fodder last year was of extremely poor quality with feeding value little or nothing in much of the silage made. This was as a result of weather last summer being so wet, growth never spiked in June/July as it should have and crop yields were waayyy down on what they should be.
  5. Normally, farmers will then top up with ration but this is also hard to get because Crop yields were desperate last year so that millers intake was down in overall tonnage, the best of this goes for bread production, drinks production etc and the remainder goes for cattle feeds. The quantities are well back this year so much so that its hard enough to get or at least no to pay 3 prices for it.
  6. Beef cattle are making record prices, but this is only for the best 5%, the remainder of the cattle will be paid for at whatever the factory chooses to pay you, retrospectively. Most farmers are not paid up front for their cattle and because we have largely a duopoly of beef processors (Kepak and AIBP) in Ireland, you have only 2 options on price, which surprise surprise is usally more or less identical.

Good post there onthesod, its nice to nice to have someone elequent enough to explain the economics to hooligans here.

I was at Ennis mart today say bales of 2011 hay selling for ā‚¬50 but cattle were far from cheap I had intended on buying a few if the money was handy

That sounds like something the Monopolies/Cartels division of the Competition Authority would be interested in? Have they ever explored it before, I wonder?

One of the two companies mentioned is the third biggest processor in the country though. So that changes things a bit.

Weā€™ve a field out the back at home that would probably do 20 bales. Is there any money for fresh grass?

When was it cut last Julio Geordio?

No still in the ground