Football Manager

Is the game engine calling him a ā€œpoofā€. Iā€™m going to tweet them about this

The beta of FM 2021 is just out.

Lads could I ask for a little advice. Having won back-to-back champions leagues with Villa I have jettisoned that game to look for a bigger challenge.

Iā€™ve started a new game with Athlone Town in Airtricy Division 1. The goal is to eventually conquer Irish football, then jump to England and eventually win the CL. Athlone are shite, projected to be the 2nd worst team in the division. The board wants us to ā€œbe competitiveā€. So far weā€™re not competitive. Weā€™ve lost our first 4 games badly and weā€™re bottom of the league. I have a transfer budget of ā‚¬0 and an excess wage budget of ā‚¬200 per week. I can hardly the budget to scout for players and Iā€™ve no knowledge of any player outside of Ireland. I could especially do with a striker, currently Iā€™m just playing some random 16 year old. Morale is rock bottom. This game is about to end very very quickly.

Do you have any advice?

1 Like

Youā€™ll have to bring in good scouting staff and expand that budget to find gems abroad who can be convinced to take a gamble on the ultra-competitive League of Ireland First Division. The spectre of the recent betting scandal needs to be overcome too. Is your plan to get a move to a championship club in England or uproot Athlone to the English Premier League?

1 Like

Ole could be looking over his shoulder if I decide to get my coaching badges sorted.

Anyone bought the 2021 version? @BruidheanChaorthainn? How are they dealing with covid-19 if so? Think I read that they are going to flat out ignore it which disappointed me.

Thereā€™s free badges/crests/players faces that you can add online to heighten the realism of gameplay.

Nope I havenā€™t got around to it yet.

Iā€™ve downloaded Football Manager 2021 and Iā€™ll be playing that for the next two weeks.

2 Likes

I saw a few YouTube videos. Itā€™s 99% the same but there is more variety to the goals scored - you get more cool bicycle kicks and chips over the keeper and that.

Ok guys.

Starting into my first FM 2021 game.

I have taken over Feyenoord in the Eredivisie.

4 Likes

I might have to check this out.

Nice challenge to start off with trying to overtake Ajax and PSV. Will you manage a 2nd tier club in the next career to heighten the challenge?

Iā€™m not sure.

Just getting to know my players now.

The xG feature in the in-game mode is a lovely development.

Ok guys.

A satisfactory first season, the highlight of which was reaching the Europa League final where we lost 1-0 to Lazio. We just didnā€™t perform on the night in a very drab final with a Luiz Felipe header from a corner in the first half being the difference. Lazio had Immobile out for the final so it really was a missed opportunity.

Finished third in the league, missed out on 2nd by 3 goals to AZ. Ajax won the league fairly comfortably though if we had won the two meetings against Ajax (which we lost) we would have actually won the league. We had a rotten start to the season - after 9 games we had just 8 points (P9 W2 D2 L5). We finished the season brilliantly with a record of P25 W22 D2 L2. We were effectively flat track bullies in the league. Of the 24 points available against the other 4 teams in the top 5, we only won 7, dropping 17 points. From the teams ranked 6th-18 we only dropped 10 points out of a possible 78.

The Europa League run itself came as a huge suprise. We had a fairly ok group draw with Arsenal, Slavia Prague and Riga. We came through 2nd on 10 points. A scoreless draw at home to Arsenal proving crucial to edge us ahead of Slavia. We got RB Leipzig in the R32 and scraped through on away goals, a real surprise result as they were sitting 2nd in the Bundesliga at the time of our meeting. Lille followed next and again away goals brought us through, we were quite lucky to advance, Lille went down to 10 men in the return leg which we won 1-0 but missed a late penalty. A nice draw against Copenhagen in the quarter final saw us win 2-1 in Copenhagen after drawing the home leg 2-1. We were convincing and deserved to go through. Inter Milan were the next opponents in the semi final. The young Turk in midfield fired a free kick home in the return leg in the San Siro to give a 1-0 aggregate victory which he deserved, a bloody great night.

We had a truly dismal start to the season, things only came right out of desperation. Our attacking options are fairly limited compared to the likes of AZ, PSV and Ajax. Our main man Berghuis missed 3 months at the start of the season with a hip injury. Jorgensen and Boeznik were really struggling for goals through the middle and our wide attackers werenā€™t contributing either. Linsenn who was wide attacker by trade and was in poor form was tried through the middle and Jorgensen who is a striker by trade was tried on the wide left of the attack. Once this change was made both started banging goals in. Jorgensen finished with 17 league goals and Linsenn with 14. The young German winger Conteh had a good season too with 7 goals and Berghius gradually came back into our plans after the winter break but found it difficult to dislodge a firing attack initially.

Overall I think I have definitely punched above my weight here in the first season and difficult second season is sure to follow. Jorgensen and Linsenn are both 30 and did really well domestically but are nowhere near the caliber of player Ajax, PSV and AZ have. Berghuis is talented but a bit of a luxury player. If I got decent offers in for them I will sell. We do have some really promising youth players but they are probably another 2 seasons off being good enough to be relied upon as regulars. I made a number of signings as detailed below but none of them set the world alight and are really just squad filler. Our financial position is good but our wage bill stifles us from getting top players in and bar Sinesi at centre back and the Turk in midfield none of them are going to fetch big fees I would imagine. We also have a few other oldies like Toornstra and Fer who Iā€™m not keen on but have included in my plans in order to get them in the shop window. To be fair to the two lads they had very good seasons and did not let me down.

Anything dated after the 10/8 is a transfer concluded by me:

The centre half Spajic was on loan from Krasnodar and was a regular for us this season and we will lose him, the outlay is far too much to keep hold of him but he was a very solid performer. Overall our defence is solid but Sinesi will be sold if I get a bid of Ā£20m or so in.

We went out to PSV in the quarter final of the cup after ET.

I played a 4-1-2-3 Tiki Taka formation but for some of the big Europa League games I reverted to a 4-1-4-1 formation. The big Congolese forward I signed in January from Bochum had a limited impact but I preferred to deploy him as a target man in the EL. Jorgensen and Linssen struggled to get into my EL side as we were more focused on being difficult to break down.

I started this on Christmas Eve. The Dutch season is nice and condensed, 34 league games, winter break, 1 domestic cup which is single tie and decided on the night.

3 Likes

Very impressive scalps against Leipzig and Inter. Havenā€™t played since FM19 but used to find on FM14 or so that it took quite a while at the start of the season to get into rhythm. Nearly have to go straight to the tactics board upon taking the job to make a decent start to the season.

Got gifted Football Manager 20/21.

Havenā€™t played any of these games in around 15 years. Who are the current versions of Cherno Sambo and Tonton Zola

Good stuff, you sound like youā€™re fairly addicted already. Iā€™m after finishing my 9th or 10th season on FM20 with Aston Villa. Iā€™ve just won 5 PLs in a row, with 2 CLs over that period also.

My advice, which you might know already and which is so powerful that it might nearly spoil the game for you, is to sign the best youth regens in the game as early as possible when theyā€™re still cheap. To do this go to ā€œworldā€ then ā€œtransfersā€ then filter for ā€œyouth intakeā€. Then you can have the option of just scouting every youth regen but a better option if you donā€™t have the highest-tier scouting budget is to add all the youth intake for the year into a special shortlist and then filter for the personalities that you like and the best attributes and just get your scouts reporting on the top 10% or so, whatever you can afford. You want to see those boysā€™ potential. And go back to check the global youth intake every month or so to keep on top of things. Then sign the best few youth players youā€™re able to every season and even if they donā€™t make the first team you will still make a profit selling them in a few seasons. Most of the talent spawns in Brazil and the Brazilian kids are eager enough to come to Europe. Also a lot of them have minimum release clauses. The Brazilian attackers who spawn in Brazil in the first 2 or 3 seasons will dominate the game for the next decade. Using this method a team like Feyenoord should be able to win the CL eventually but it will take many seasons. There are videos about it on youtube.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t really had the wherewithal to go at the second season now. Iā€™m around the late November mark and Iā€™m fairly disappointed with our results so far after a fairly extensive summer transfer window that has seen my wage budget nearly triple. I have a bloated squad with a lot of unwanted older players but my financial position is very healthy after some big sales.

Going to try and get back into it today and finish the season out.