Friend of the Forum: Big Mick McCarthy

Found his level alright.

One of footballs true gents

Mick McCarthy was pleased with his Ipswich side despite their 1-0 loss to Burnley cutting their play-off hopes short.
Already promoted to the Barclays Premier League, Burnley hosted an Ipswich side who were searching for a victory to keep their play-off hopes alive.
But it was the team who had nothing to play for that came out on top, Michael Kightly’s third goal in as many games earning Burnley the narrow victory.
For Ipswich, their hopes of extending their season were ended as they now sit four points off the final play-off place with just one game remaining.
Yet rather than dwell on his own side’s misfortune, Ipswich boss McCarthy was keen to extend his best wishes to Burnley in their Premier League adventure - and in particular one of his former Wolves charges Kightly.
“I thought our performance was very good up until conceding the goal. I thought they started well but I think we grew into the game and got better,” McCarthy said.
"I thought we were on top when we conceded, but we missed that one tackle and it changes the course of the game.
"But I was really pleased with my team. You win a game with really good team effort and I thought we had that, but they got a bit of good fortune in terms of missing the tackle but I thought our performance was very good.
"The difference home and away is that they have managed to keep a clean sheet and get a goal - that is the fine margins.
"Without doubt, Burnley are outstandingly good value. They have deserved it, well done to them, and they should enjoy it and not listen to all the doom and gloom.
“Kightly is a good player and if he hadn’t been injured as he was at Wolves, he would have been a top player at a top team throughout. And so I am delighted for him that he’s back playing at that level because he is a great kid.”

thinly veiled " I signed him from nonleague football, now look at him! "…:rolleyes:

Talk about clinging to whatever you can eh. He’ some fucking bluffer all the same.

[QUOTE=“chewy louie, post: 938119, member: 1137”]
"The difference home and away is that they have managed to keep a clean sheet and get a goal - that is the fine margins.
“Without doubt, Burnley are outstandingly good value. They have deserved it, well done to them, and they should enjoy it and not listen to all the doom and gloom.”[/QUOTE]
What a patronizing condescending cunt, hope Sean Dyche clocked him one for that at the post match dinner

:clap:Sensatiojnal news

Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy and his assistant Terry Connor have signed new three-year deals, the club have announced.
Former Ireland boss McCarthy took charge of the Tractor Boys in 2012 and steered them clear of relegation, guiding them to 14th in the Championship.
Ipswich then narrowly missed out on a play-off place during his first full season in charge, finishing four points behind sixth-placed Brighton.
A statement on the club’s official website, www.itfc.co.uk: read: "Mick McCarthy has agreed a new three year contract as manager of Ipswich Town.
"The Blues’ boss, who was back at the training ground today for the first day of pre-season training, has been in charge at Portman Road since taking over from Paul Jewell in October 2012.
"He would have been in the final year of an initial two and a half year contract but after discussions with club owner Marcus Evans, Mick will put pen to paper on a contract that will see him remain as Town manager until the summer of 2017.
“Assistant manager Terry Connor has also agreed a new three-year deal.”
McCarthy has previously won promotion to the Premier League twice as a manager - with Sunderland in 2005 and Wolves in 2009, winning the Championship title on both occasions.
Connor has worked with McCarthy since becoming his assistant at Wolves in 2008. He had a spell as Wolves manager when McCarthy was sacked but then reverted back to the assistant’s role when Stale Solbakken was appointed.
Connor left Wolves early in the 2012/13 season, linking up with McCarthy again when he joined Ipswich.

Yep, he’s found his level alright

Brilliant news. I’m delighted.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/he-gets-the-best-out-of-players-278101.html

Not many, if any, of the current Ireland squad have encountered Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane more in the past decade than Daryl Murphy and Ipswich Town’s Irish striker realises the pair of adversaries are integral to his future.
This coming Saturday at Portman Road, Murphy begins his tenth season as a professional footballer in Britain when a relegated Fulham squad bolstered with reinforcements such as €13m purchase Ross McCormack aim to flex their muscles early on in the Championship promotion chase. Murphy and his unfancied Tractor Boys led by McCarthy succeeded in usurping some of the supposed big boys last term; the Waterford man’s 13 goals going a long way to finishing Ipswich a mere four points off the play-off zone.
Another double-figure goal haul for the 31-year-old during this campaign and the joy will be savoured not only by McCarthy but also his nemesis Keane.
It was for the first squad selected by the Corkman in his capacity as Martin O’Neill’s assistant that led to Murphy ending a six-year wait to win his ninth cap against Serbia in March.
Recruited by McCarthy from Waterford to Sunderland in 2005, it was only after Keane arrived as boss a year later that Murphy enjoyed a sustained stint in the side. He was reunited with Keane at Ipswich Town in 2010, eventually returning to Suffolk under McCarthy following a spell sandwiched in between at Celtic.
The Ipswich manager will once again begin the campaign this weekend relying on Murphy’s firepower to belie their limited budget by competing for promotion.
Often criticised for being overly-loyal during his time as Ireland manager, this trait of McCarthy’s is instead lauded by Murphy.
“I can’t talk highly enough of what Mick has done for me,” said Murphy.
“He took a gamble in buying me from the League of Ireland and we’ve worked on and off over my career since.
“Mick’s man-management skills are the best I have ever worked with.
“You could be doing well but might make a few mistakes in games and he will call you in to tell you how you could be doing better. He is more than capable of keeping you on your toes.
“That is definitely his best skill. He gets the best out of players. You know what he wants because you soon realise the way he wants you to play.
“And I think people enjoy working with him. Hence why we can get players in at Ipswich now whereas in the last year under Paul Jewell there was a hesitancy from players to come.
“It just wasn’t happening. They found it hard to sign players. Since Mick’s come in, he’s brought some quality players to the club on free transfers.”
Irish supporters would be familiar with a few of those shrewd acquisitions. Stephen Hunt, having joined on a pay-as-you-play basis midway through last season, has been granted a new deal. Another player eager to wear the green jersey of Ireland, David McGoldrick, sampled his first game-time in Saturday’s friendly against Leyton Orient since suffering ligament damage in February.
That McCarthy, too, has committed in recent months to Ipswich on a three-year contract demonstrates to Murphy the stability prevalent around Portman Road.
“Players can see that the club is progressing under the gaffer,” he reasoned. “Last season, we got so close to the play-offs but knew we were short two or three players. The injury to McGoldrick didn’t help us because he was our main man. We’re all pulling in the right direction and want to do better this time by reaching the play-offs.”
Knowing McCarthy as he does, the Ireland striker isn’t expecting an entitlement to lead the line. Goals are his currency, so he insists the net must be found to retain his place.
He admitted: “I can’t rest on my laurels and reflect that last year went well for me. The gaffer has said it is not going to be given to me; that it’s a clean slate and everything is based what I do from now on.
“I know myself that I have to up my game to stay in the Ireland squad as well.”
That would entail working under Keane again and he admits to being relieved that O’Neill’s assistant didn’t depart for the lure of Celtic in June. “It was good news for Ireland and the players,” he said.
“Roy has brilliant since he’s come onto the staff and all the lads are enjoying it. Thankfully it was sorted quickly and I think he has done the right thing.
“He’s working under two different managers now, seeing what it is all about and in the future. And maybe he’ll get back into management himself in the future.”

What a top, top bloke Big Mick really is:clap:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2014/0923/645663-mccarthy-delighted-with-sammon-goal/

Sammon interestingly opted to celebrate his goal with gusto in front of the away end, as opposed to the now-fashionable understated reaction to bagging against a former employer - which his manager fully understood.
“I think that’s the biggest load of nonsense ever,” McCarthy smiled.
"Are you ever going to go back and play for that club?
"I’ve had a few clubs and my club is now Ipswich. I’m not bothered who we’re playing against - if we win I’m giving it large.
“That’s where my loyalties lie - with Ipswich.”

@Rocko can you make above quote where Big Mick is giving it portions the new quote of the week?

[QUOTE=“chewy louie, post: 1021264, member: 1137”]What a top, top bloke Big Mick really is:clap:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2014/0923/645663-mccarthy-delighted-with-sammon-goal/

Sammon interestingly opted to celebrate his goal with gusto in front of the away end, as opposed to the now-fashionable understated reaction to bagging against a former employer - which his manager fully understood.
“I think that’s the biggest load of nonsense ever,” McCarthy smiled.
"Are you ever going to go back and play for that club?
"I’ve had a few clubs and my club is now Ipswich. I’m not bothered who we’re playing against - if we win I’m giving it large.
“That’s where my loyalties lie - with Ipswich.”
[/QUOTE]

he’s dead right…that Lampard shit the other day was so over cooked…i’d say he was doing laps of the dressing room celebrating when game was over and he was away from the camera…

I doubt it. He spent 13 years at Chelsea. He’s barely 5 minutes in the door at City.

Hunt reckons mcgoldrick wants to play for Ireland. Seen him play a good few times last year, he is a pretty good player, i think he would be a decent addition for us.

He’s Championship level at best. Seen enough of him to know he wouldn’t make the step up to PL, much too slow & ponderous. The £8m proposed move was laughable.

In your face Big Mick!!! We won’t be beaten, we can’t be beaten!!

Good result for us , big mick has turned Murphys career around.

Disagree.

Course you do, you’re an Ipswich fan.

McGoaldrought couldn’t hack it at Forest, he defo wouldn’t do it in the PL.

1 up at home to Blackburn rovers, mcgoaldrought scores. Forest lost and Norwich losing. Great day.