Friend of the Forum: Big Mick McCarthy

No because I’m at work at Soccerbase didn’t break it down.

The floyd mayweather of Irish football

McCarthy is the FAI representative team’s most best ever manager and presided over its best ever World Cup performance, going unbeaten in the whole qualifying and finals bar a last second consolation against Iran when qualification was already assured. That includes knocking out World and European semi-finalists Holland with a game to spare in qualifying and completely bossing Germany and Spain in the finals, all while playing attractive football with a mediocre squad. His team scored three times as many goals in Japan and Korea as any FAI team had ever managed at a tournament before.

What a pity the fucking boo boys hounded such a decent man out.

Not really when you consider that Doyle has always been with a club fighting relegation and would never had the supply or supporting team that Keane could boast when he was at Spurs.

Keane suffered when he went to a mid table team like Liverpool.

All this and he couldnt even hold down a job in the EPL for someone like Wolves. Taffy was the brains behind this operation.

i dont think you can really compare the two ( yes i did it first but it suited me then) keane has nearly always been playin in the top half ot the table where as doyle has nearly always been with a bottom five team with the exception of reading and his best season…

anyway…i think ill stop floggin this already dying horse i dont even know how this argument atarted something about doyle causing mick to get the sack?

:clap:

You’ve redeemed yourself after a poor weekend

Correct me if I’m wrong but the only side we beat in the WC2002 was Saudi Arabia wasn’t it?

Kevin Doyle was excellent under Staunton when some of our senior players were a disgrace. Very early on in Trap’s reign, home win over Cyprus he gave one of the best performances by an Irish striker that I can remember. Big Mick and his dinosaur tactics got a hold of him and he has regressed badly since. He will rise again
now and get back to his best. Of that I’m sure.

This is nothing to do with McCarthy, Doyle will only excel in dinosaur tactics as his technical levels are dreadful. The problem with Doyle is himself, he’s far too bulky - which is own problem - and has taken away his main asset his mobility. His other problem is his attitude, he now believes he is too good to be a grafter - which was his other main asset. When you take these two things away from Kevin Doyle you are left with a horrible footballer. It’s not down to any manager, it’s down to Doyle himself.

So just to be clear. McCarthy bought Doyle. Played Doyle. Believed in Doyle And its Doyles fault he was sacked? Am I right?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the mighty Cyprus - who will ever forget that game- his performance has gone down in Irish sporting lore -

he was left with no option to play him as Doyles arrogance hounded a few of the youngsters out of the club

Such as?

Doyle has regressed ever since he got married and got a car with the personalised number plates “Super Kev” - Mick McCarthy had nothing to do with either of them.

steve bull

:lol: :clap:

Marriage and number plates tend to change the careers of footballers alright. Hopefully Kev from Perth takes note.

Let’s just get it straight. He had the chance to go to Fulham, play proper football and enjoy West London. For some unknown reason he listened to Big Mick’s nonsensical Yorkshire patter and moved up to Wolves to play primitive football.

Not sure if Pat Dolan is still his agent but he was very badly advised there.

Will never be forgotten

This thread is unravelling quicker than Kevin Doyle can run

:rolleyes:

FFS. Doyle is only suited to a side who play primitive football, he is a primitive player. He’d be like a fish out of water in a side that try to play decent football, have you seen this guy try and control a football?