Further Things That Are Wrong (Part 1)

Iā€™ve posted here before about the scarcity of pharmacists in Ireland. Well, those that want to work weekends anyway. If any of yer children are and way inspired or brainy at all, it certainly is an in demand and well paid career.

So itā€™s getting harder and harder to cover those long weekend shifts and a number of pharmacists are under pressure at the moment.

Iā€™ve just spent the guts of 45 mins waiting for a prescription, despite having sent it in this morningā€¦

They are everywhere here. Hypochondriacs though

Seems similar to doctors to me. Drop the points by about 40 or 50, train more of them, donā€™t have them working as hard and pay them a bit less. Seems basic economics. No way a fella who gets 520 points in the leaving doesnā€™t have the brains to be a doctor or pharmacist

But like I said, itā€™s the weekend work.

Thereā€™s a few lads local here that took their pharmaceutical degree and moved into industry to avoid weekend work.

Quite common, I know a share of pharmacists from college and a lot of them donā€™t work in the Industry at all now

1 Like

A grand clean job as well and v well paid relative to the responsibility

All the inhalers ?

4 Likes

This sounds like the start of a campaign to get prescription medicines into vending machines.

8 Likes

They seem to do them now in batches rather than ad hock. Since allowing emailed prescriptions.

Well there is a nice bit of responsibility in fairness.

Folk can be busyā€¦ Drugs might not land until the afternoon

Is there any more than being a bus driver or a pilot? Definitely far less than a doctor or a dentist

I see your point so I presume remuneration is in relation to education and responsibility. They also take a hippocratic oath like doctors.

I canā€™t in general argue or understand why some professions are paid more than others. Health service employees seem to be paid fairly well. Nurses would argue that point I suppose.

Generally jobs that only a small fraction of the population can do are paid well. Most people can drive a bus. I believe their health is checked regularly now for obvious reasons.

I think itā€™s just the way of things. I donā€™t know why.

Off the top of my head I count 6 pharmacies in Douglas for a population of around 27k.

Well thatā€™s it exactly. Pharmacy is a difficult college course no question about that and youā€™d need to be v clever to complete it. Just doesnā€™t automatically follow though that it carries more responsibility than an easier job to learn. A computer programmer who makes video games is probably a very hard thing to learn as well but it doesnā€™t have much real relative responsibility

Getting the messages in SuperValu earlier and there was a tall enough gentleman in his early 50s, seems a socially awkward enough chap given how he was foostering with his few items at the til.

Next thing whatever way I looked I see he was wandering around barefoot

Utterly bizarre behaviour

2 Likes

Raheny or Sutton?

Iā€™m going to say Raheny based on the floor tiles.