Further Things That Are Wrong (Part 2)

bad timing

@KinvarasPassion has taught you well.

3 Likes

Pointless trying to mind the likes of @Fagan_ODowd, heā€™ll have it all spent by the time he meets his maker.

That record collection will be worth a small fortune all the same.

1 Like

Another martin wonder blunder

I was reading a piece in the Telegraph giving out about the new bbc adaptation of Great Expectations (drug use, bad language, black people and of course Empire bashing) and my mind cast back to the leaving cert and the Dickens book we had to study was Hard Times. What the fuck were the Department of Education up to? Did they not want fellas to read ever again? This might have been the only novel a lot of the lads ever read and it was probably the last many of them read. I know Peig gets a bad rap from lads of that vintage but Hard Times was a worse crime against young people. There are literally millions of enjoyable books that they could have chosen from. Itā€™s probably even the worst of the Dickens novels.

5 Likes

Being up since 4.30am with sick kids.

2 Likes

They puking and you roaring at them that St Patrick didnā€™t exist

22 Likes

ā€œIf you donā€™t shut up Iā€™ll send ye to the Protestant school!ā€

14 Likes

We used to be told weā€™d be given away to the travellers, but I suppose you canā€™t say that anymore

8 Likes

Bounderby and Gradgrind - a muse on rote learning. I donā€™t think the Dept saw the irony

1 Like

Iā€™ll send you up to granny Brady in Limerickā€¦ For a Rochestown child thatā€™s worse than the travellers

8 Likes

My mother used to threaten to send me to Newtown school which was Protestant.

1 Like

I did that as well,
Gradgrind, Bounderby, poor old Stephen Blackpool and his bird, Tom and Louisa

ā€˜Now what I want is FACTS, FACTS alone are wanted in lifeā€™

1 Like

We were told go jump in the river.
A similar vein.

Youā€™ve only yourself to blame.

Up since 5am for no reason

Teething, hand foot and mouth with the youngest. Too much partying for the eldest

Foot and Mouth?

Burn the house down with them in it immediately.

1 Like

We did Emma. Hugely entertaining and relevant to our lives at the time Iā€™d say it encouraged an awful lot of the lads into a lifetime love of reading alright. To kill a mockingbird was junior cert and that was v good tbf. I think they do films now, what are the novels on it these days I wonder the younger tfkers might advise?