GAA 125th Anniversary

Wow, what an underwhelming waste of time and money that was.
It thoroughly felt like some kind of Transition year project.
[Im pretty bored so allow me to indulge myself, Ill get to my real discussion after this extended indulgence]

Day 1
Jacinta and Natalie from Drumcondra Vocational School win a draw to put on a show in Croke Park for the 125th anniversary.

Jacinta: Oooo, lets have a light show. [clapping hands excitedly]

Natalie: [Shrieks] Yeah, thatd be fabbo, lets have fireworks too. Everybody loves firework. And we have to have music. We can use my iPod, I have loads of Rihanna and other great songie things.

Jacinta: [Shrieks, grabs Natalies hand and jumps up and down in an excited manner] Deadly, yeah we have to meet those old guys from the GGA or whatever later.

Natalie: Ugh, well can you go meet them cos Im going drinking with Deco and Willo.

Jacinta: I suppose, but you owe me bitch. [And they make out]

Day 2
Jacinta: Those old guys were so totally boring. Im so not doing that on my own ever again [clicks fingers and pouts]. I have good news and bad news. The bad news is they have set us all these lame rules. We have to use music by Irish artists. I swear to Justin, I cant even name one.

Natalie: Me neither…Oh, oh, Shayne Ward is Irish. And that Spiral guy from Big Brother.

Jacinta: [clapping hands excitedly] Brillo, Nat youre a genius. Oh the other rule is that we have to have a clip show of old GGA clips or whatever. We might need some help with that. Ive only been to two Dublin soccer matches. Is it Dublin or Ireland? Who are the guys that wear green?

Natalie: Bohs? Its not just soccer Jac, they play rugby in that place too. Ok, so whats the good news?

Jacinta: Get this… We can spend as much as we like! We should get loads and loads of fireworks. And spend ages on the fireworks, music and light show and just spend a couple of minutes on the clip show.

Natalie: I think my dad taped that 20 greatest moments of the GGA or whatever. He was going on about it for ages. He is such a loser. We can steal a few clips off that. I think that has that weird sport where they use those giant wooden spoons. Which one is that?

Jacinta: I think they use those at the end of rugby matches! It is def GGA though. Awesome! Thats that sorted. We have to meet those old guys again later today. You have to go this time. Its my turn to get dirty with Deco and Willo.

Natalie: Fair is Fair [And they make out]

Day 3
Jacinta: How did you get on? They are sooo lame and old right?

Natalie: Totally. They didnt like our ideas for music.

[They both look disgusted and pout]

They said maybe to Shayne Ward but a definite No to Spiral. They had never heard of him. We are gonna need help on this. They were talking about all these old guys that I have barely heard of. Some guy from U2, and it wasnt Bono, like who knows those other guys names? And some band called Snow Pet Roll or something and The Blueberries? [looks at notebook] No, the Cranberries, that was it. I wrote that one down.

Jacinta: You are so lucky you can read…and write. We probably need your dads help on this too.

Natalie: Yeah you are right. But dont throw yourself at him like you always do.

[Pouts and shakes her finger at Jacinta]

He should know all this stuff. He is from place in the middle of nowhere. Awful. Or Awfully or something. He loves all the GGA stuff or whatever.

Jacinta: Cool, well, Im not promising anything. [Giggles and they make out]

The End

It would have been some much easier to make it better as I have already hinted at.
19 minutes was the running time. They spent about 4 minutes on the clip show. They lights and fireworks get boring really quickly.
Do some history of the GAA up to the age of TV coverage - follow it with ye old trad music(Fureys - Lonesome Boatman or something like that) and light show and fireworks.
Then do decades of GAA seasons. Mixed in with Irish music of the time, famous quotes of the time(the JFK thing was cool, but what about GAA quotes like Were going to do it , Sheep in a heap and the like.), and the fireworks and light show. Make the lights in the stadium do the colour of the team as they show who was winning the AI of the time. At the end of a decade have some fireworks.
The clip show they had was so random. Some things you would have to have in there werent.
Im sure we could all list some. It needed to be more rigid to the year in question (each year needed recognition) the milestones of the year (e.g. Waterfords first final in 50 years this year), and the winners.
Here is what I would show since 93 just in hurling. They showed some of this but skipped out other parts entirely.

93: Careys goal against Antrim, PJ Delaneys point off his knees in the final
94: The 5 minute final, 2 goals, point, point, point.
95: Davys penalty, Were going to do it, Taafees goal
96: Ciaran Careys point, Dempseys goal
97: First back door, All-Munster Final, Jamsies point
98: Lynch and Loughnane, Sheep in a heap, The Croke Park sit in, All Leinster Final, Whelahan,
99: Cody the beginning, Welcome back Landers, The Cork comeback
00: Derry rattle Offaly, Offaly shock Cork, Denis Byrnes amazing semi-final, KK 5th goal in AI.
01: Cloonan and Kelly arrive, Mark OLeary…
02: Tipp KK sublime semi, Careys point in final V Clare.
03: Setanta, Cork Wexford x2, Comerfords goal.
04: 3 in a row stumbling bid, that Munster final, Corcorans point
05: Ridiculous KK GY semi, Cork stumble through, Corcorans goal v Waterford, Bens goal in final
06: stumbling 3 in a row bid, Fogartys goal
07: Cork Waterford x 3, KK GY, 2 goals v Limerick in Ai final
08: Joe Canning, Waterford get to final, KK win 3 in a row. Chas couldnt be done.

The GAA have continued to illustrate that they have no idea how to market their products. They have a hugely hyped 125th year celebration and they insist on spending the least amount of time possible in actually showing their product.

With soccer and rugby gaining ground on the GAA in the hearts and minds of people all over the country, tonight was a huge opportunity to lay down a marker as the #1 sporting organisation in the country and they blow it with a fucking lame light show and fireworks.

With all the advances in technology youd think that someone could come up with something better than fucking fireworks. Its the same shit over and over. Can anyone seriously come on here and say, oh I was at this fireworks showcase and it was so inventive and original.
Thats an argument for another day though.

This event was mundane, predictable and totally underwhelming.
The GAA and all other sporting organisations need to go learn how to market their products better.

UFC knew exactly what to do. They just pretty much copied the WWE model. Vince McMahon has been acknowledged by many, including Donald Trump as being the greatest promoter in the world.
Nobody does a video clip montage better than WWE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QcNJCi9XyQ

Honestly, watch that video. They bounce from wrestler to wrestler second by second.
At the end they show all the WWE champions of note from the 60s onwards.
Watch from 3:07:
They bounce from Rogers to Morales to Backlund to Andre to Hogan to Flair to Savage to Hart to Michaels to Undertaker to Austin to Rock to Foley to HHH to Angle to Jericho in little under 20 seconds.

Just based on my list of AI finals above, show captain after captain after captain. It would be really powerful.
Fennelly to Hanamy to Daly to Storey to Daly to Dooley to Landers to OConnor to Dunne to Comerford to Carey to OConnor to hAilpn to Tyrrell to Shefflin to Cha Fitz

They also show legacies. They celebrate the Rock being the first third generation superstar. The show the Rocks grandfather, then father and then the Rock himself.
The GAA tonight needed to celebrate the legacies of its history.
The 3 generations of Larkins and Donnellans. The multiple brothers appearing on teams (e.g. Fennellys, Dooleys etc…)

UFC have caught on and have begun to create similarly excellent video packages for their pay per view events. Its one of the main things that differentiate the UFC from other combat sports like boxing. Boxing matches tend to be marketed on the names alone. Hatton Mayweather. Lewis Tyson.
Promoters tend to leave it at that. They have added some cool stuff like the 24/7 shows which document each fighters preparation for fights but UFC have such an advantage being one company which holds most of the stars of a sport.

UFC 92 was the biggest event of their organisation. It was stacked card of fights and they marketed it very well. Here is the intro to the PPV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxaz848gC8Q

I am aware that there is a balance here. I obviously dont want GAA to become ridiculously gimmicky like WWE [or Darts. Darth Maple anyone?]. But there is a void here that was hugely evident tonight. At the end of each season they tend to do a montage of the season that was. These tend to be good but these are the exception and not the rule.

A light show and fireworks does not cut it.

In my opinion, tonight should have been at least 90 minutes long and released as a DVD.

mundy wore a cowboy hat - thats sums up the GGA

looking forward to hear what aledge thinks of it all

did they have to give tickets away to schoolkids- the crwd noise as very high pitched

According to the clips they showed, hurling didn’t start until 1970, yet they showed clips from the 40’s 50’s and 60’s for football, pretty shite display to be honest.
Some crowd to get on a cold Saturday evening all the same

looked great on the tv i thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done the gaa they have put it up to the FAI and the IRFU or whoever has a big milestone to celebrate next. I presume the opening of Lansdown will blow this away :stuck_out_tongue:
The fool who compares gaa with cage brawling is clearly a fool. Would you ever cop the fuck on. A 90 minute video real would have had Croke Park empty after 45 minutes, do you seriously think you could entertain 79000 people in an outdoor stadium on a cold January night with 90 minutes of nostalgia on a big screen, after a match!!!??? Would you seriously include Mark OLeary in a celebration of the history of GAA or were you attempting comedy ? :smiley:

Well done to both teams who put on a good display, some shooting by O Neill especially the one in 1st half from the end line, magic score. Sean Cavanagh is unnatural!
Despite the new card system controversy, it looks like it may provide a more free flowing game, up to the refs i suppose.

a good nights entertainment well done the gaa

That was a super game of football and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never tire of watching Tyrone live - they’re some exponents of the game. Fair play to Dublin too for playing their part.

I take both CD’s and HBV’s points on the clips montage. There’s definite DVD potential because they were never going to fill everything in. It was absolutely freezing and I personally wouldn’t have stuck around for any longer than I did.

The fireworks weren’t a big deal for me. I come from Wexford you see - we’re a sophisticated county who open our annual Opera Festival with a fireworks display every year. This was nothing new.

The strobe lighting was decent enough - I suggested to my comrades that they should finish the lighting with a tricolour going across the stand and that’s what materialised. I’d love if Ireland won the Eurovision again and I was given creative freedom to direct the following year’s broadcast on behalf of RTE.

Good job by Marty Duffy too. He could have dished out more yellow cards by the letter of the law but he showed cop on and respect for the players. You could see him communicating to them throughout the game.

Sen Cavanagh will go down as one of the all time greats. Stephen O’Neill showed some shooting prowess. I reckon Bernard Brogan’s going to have a real break-out year for Dublin. He’s got it all. Class game.

[quote=“HBV*”]looked great on the tv i thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done the gaa they have put it up to the FAI and the IRFU or whoever has a big milestone to celebrate next. I presume the opening of Lansdown will blow this away :stuck_out_tongue:
The fool who compares gaa with cage brawling is clearly a fool. Would you ever cop the fuck on. A 90 minute video real would have had Croke Park empty after 45 minutes, do you seriously think you could entertain 79000 people in an outdoor stadium on a cold January night with 90 minutes of nostalgia on a big screen, after a match!!!??? Would you seriously include Mark OLeary in a celebration of the history of GAA or were you attempting comedy ? :smiley:

Well done to both teams who put on a good display, some shooting by O Neill especially the one in 1st half from the end line, magic score. Sean Cavanagh is unnatural!
Despite the new card system controversy, it looks like it may provide a more free flowing game, up to the refs i suppose.

a good nights entertainment well done the gaa[/quote]

HBV
I was at this last night
Agreed- the game flowed well. Pity the Dubs couldn’t close it out. I counted at least 5 that landed in the goalies hands. We were struggling badly at midfield until the Tyrone lads faded.
1-13 from the full forward line of Tyrone? In January?? In their first league game? I’d be very afraid for the rest of the year.

Thought the show was very well done, in fairness. Comparing it to the fiasco that is “sports entertainment” wrestling isn’t the point.

I saw it on TV last night when we got home and the whole things, lights, fireworks and music was great.
THe clips at the beginning were good- not every county or every game was included-- we didn’t have all night to see every hero, every great score or every team winning their first trophy- I suppose these are the burdens you must shoulder when your organisation has a long, storied and immense history.

A fantastic night’s entertainment for 20!

WBY

in fairness to the GGA they really put everything into & no expense was spared to get Mundy as the star attraction, and the idea of getting hector to be the MC just ooozed class

It looked great on tv anyway, didn’t make it myself, brought my daughter home to see her grandparents instead and will be heading down to wexford park later today. Couldn’t believe it when they said on Setanta that there was more people at last nights game than will be attending the Superbowl tonight. Crazy stuff.

I’d personally like to thank the fai for providing the money for last nights show, probably the best the 400,000 them lads ever spent:p

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]Wow, what an underwhelming waste of time and money that was.
It thoroughly felt like some kind of Transition year project.
[Im pretty bored so allow me to indulge myself, Ill get to my real discussion after this extended indulgence]

Day 1
Jacinta and Natalie from Drumcondra Vocational School win a draw to put on a show in Croke Park for the 125th anniversary.

Jacinta: Oooo, lets have a light show. [clapping hands excitedly]

Natalie: [Shrieks] Yeah, thatd be fabbo, lets have fireworks too. Everybody loves firework. And we have to have music. We can use my iPod, I have loads of Rihanna and other great songie things.

Jacinta: [Shrieks, grabs Natalies hand and jumps up and down in an excited manner] Deadly, yeah we have to meet those old guys from the GGA or whatever later.

Natalie: Ugh, well can you go meet them cos Im going drinking with Deco and Willo.

Jacinta: I suppose, but you owe me bitch. [And they make out]

Day 2
Jacinta: Those old guys were so totally boring. Im so not doing that on my own ever again [clicks fingers and pouts]. I have good news and bad news. The bad news is they have set us all these lame rules. We have to use music by Irish artists. I swear to Justin, I cant even name one.

Natalie: Me neither…Oh, oh, Shayne Ward is Irish. And that Spiral guy from Big Brother.

Jacinta: [clapping hands excitedly] Brillo, Nat youre a genius. Oh the other rule is that we have to have a clip show of old GGA clips or whatever. We might need some help with that. Ive only been to two Dublin soccer matches. Is it Dublin or Ireland? Who are the guys that wear green?

Natalie: Bohs? Its not just soccer Jac, they play rugby in that place too. Ok, so whats the good news?

Jacinta: Get this… We can spend as much as we like! We should get loads and loads of fireworks. And spend ages on the fireworks, music and light show and just spend a couple of minutes on the clip show.

Natalie: I think my dad taped that 20 greatest moments of the GGA or whatever. He was going on about it for ages. He is such a loser. We can steal a few clips off that. I think that has that weird sport where they use those giant wooden spoons. Which one is that?

Jacinta: I think they use those at the end of rugby matches! It is def GGA though. Awesome! Thats that sorted. We have to meet those old guys again later today. You have to go this time. Its my turn to get dirty with Deco and Willo.

Natalie: Fair is Fair [And they make out]

Day 3
Jacinta: How did you get on? They are sooo lame and old right?

Natalie: Totally. They didnt like our ideas for music.

[They both look disgusted and pout]

They said maybe to Shayne Ward but a definite No to Spiral. They had never heard of him. We are gonna need help on this. They were talking about all these old guys that I have barely heard of. Some guy from U2, and it wasnt Bono, like who knows those other guys names? And some band called Snow Pet Roll or something and The Blueberries? [looks at notebook] No, the Cranberries, that was it. I wrote that one down.

Jacinta: You are so lucky you can read…and write. We probably need your dads help on this too.

Natalie: Yeah you are right. But dont throw yourself at him like you always do.

[Pouts and shakes her finger at Jacinta]

He should know all this stuff. He is from place in the middle of nowhere. Awful. Or Awfully or something. He loves all the GGA stuff or whatever.

Jacinta: Cool, well, Im not promising anything. [Giggles and they make out]

The End

It would have been some much easier to make it better as I have already hinted at.
19 minutes was the running time. They spent about 4 minutes on the clip show. They lights and fireworks get boring really quickly.
Do some history of the GAA up to the age of TV coverage - follow it with ye old trad music(Fureys - Lonesome Boatman or something like that) and light show and fireworks.
Then do decades of GAA seasons. Mixed in with Irish music of the time, famous quotes of the time(the JFK thing was cool, but what about GAA quotes like Were going to do it , Sheep in a heap and the like.), and the fireworks and light show. Make the lights in the stadium do the colour of the team as they show who was winning the AI of the time. At the end of a decade have some fireworks.
The clip show they had was so random. Some things you would have to have in there werent.
Im sure we could all list some. It needed to be more rigid to the year in question (each year needed recognition) the milestones of the year (e.g. Waterfords first final in 50 years this year), and the winners.
Here is what I would show since 93 just in hurling. They showed some of this but skipped out other parts entirely.

93: Careys goal against Antrim, PJ Delaneys point off his knees in the final
94: The 5 minute final, 2 goals, point, point, point.
95: Davys penalty, Were going to do it, Taafees goal
96: Ciaran Careys point, Dempseys goal
97: First back door, All-Munster Final, Jamsies point
98: Lynch and Loughnane, Sheep in a heap, The Croke Park sit in, All Leinster Final, Whelahan,
99: Cody the beginning, Welcome back Landers, The Cork comeback
00: Derry rattle Offaly, Offaly shock Cork, Denis Byrnes amazing semi-final, KK 5th goal in AI.
01: Cloonan and Kelly arrive, Mark OLeary…
02: Tipp KK sublime semi, Careys point in final V Clare.
03: Setanta, Cork Wexford x2, Comerfords goal.
04: 3 in a row stumbling bid, that Munster final, Corcorans point
05: Ridiculous KK GY semi, Cork stumble through, Corcorans goal v Waterford, Bens goal in final
06: stumbling 3 in a row bid, Fogartys goal
07: Cork Waterford x 3, KK GY, 2 goals v Limerick in Ai final
08: Joe Canning, Waterford get to final, KK win 3 in a row. Chas couldnt be done.

The GAA have continued to illustrate that they have no idea how to market their products. They have a hugely hyped 125th year celebration and they insist on spending the least amount of time possible in actually showing their product.

With soccer and rugby gaining ground on the GAA in the hearts and minds of people all over the country, tonight was a huge opportunity to lay down a marker as the #1 sporting organisation in the country and they blow it with a fucking lame light show and fireworks.

With all the advances in technology youd think that someone could come up with something better than fucking fireworks. Its the same shit over and over. Can anyone seriously come on here and say, oh I was at this fireworks showcase and it was so inventive and original.
Thats an argument for another day though.

This event was mundane, predictable and totally underwhelming.
The GAA and all other sporting organisations need to go learn how to market their products better.

UFC knew exactly what to do. They just pretty much copied the WWE model. Vince McMahon has been acknowledged by many, including Donald Trump as being the greatest promoter in the world.
Nobody does a video clip montage better than WWE.

YouTube - WWE Desire - Lonely Road Of Faith

Honestly, watch that video. They bounce from wrestler to wrestler second by second.
At the end they show all the WWE champions of note from the 60s onwards.
Watch from 3:07:
They bounce from Rogers to Morales to Backlund to Andre to Hogan to Flair to Savage to Hart to Michaels to Undertaker to Austin to Rock to Foley to HHH to Angle to Jericho in little under 20 seconds.

Just based on my list of AI finals above, show captain after captain after captain. It would be really powerful.
Fennelly to Hanamy to Daly to Storey to Daly to Dooley to Landers to OConnor to Dunne to Comerford to Carey to OConnor to hAilpn to Tyrrell to Shefflin to Cha Fitz

They also show legacies. They celebrate the Rock being the first third generation superstar. The show the Rocks grandfather, then father and then the Rock himself.
The GAA tonight needed to celebrate the legacies of its history.
The 3 generations of Larkins and Donnellans. The multiple brothers appearing on teams (e.g. Fennellys, Dooleys etc…)

UFC have caught on and have begun to create similarly excellent video packages for their pay per view events. Its one of the main things that differentiate the UFC from other combat sports like boxing. Boxing matches tend to be marketed on the names alone. Hatton Mayweather. Lewis Tyson.
Promoters tend to leave it at that. They have added some cool stuff like the 24/7 shows which document each fighters preparation for fights but UFC have such an advantage being one company which holds most of the stars of a sport.

UFC 92 was the biggest event of their organisation. It was stacked card of fights and they marketed it very well. Here is the intro to the PPV:

YouTube - UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008 - Intro

I am aware that there is a balance here. I obviously dont want GAA to become ridiculously gimmicky like WWE [or Darts. Darth Maple anyone?]. But there is a void here that was hugely evident tonight. At the end of each season they tend to do a montage of the season that was. These tend to be good but these are the exception and not the rule.

A light show and fireworks does not cut it.

In my opinion, tonight should have been at least 90 minutes long and released as a DVD.[/quote]

Fuckin hell, how long did it take you type all that out?

[quote=“padjo”]It looked great on tv anyway, didn’t make it myself, brought my daughter home to see her grandparents instead and will be heading down to wexford park later today. Couldn’t believe it when they said on Setanta that there was more people at last nights game than will be attending the Superbowl tonight. Crazy stuff.

I’d personally like to thank the fai for providing the money for last nights show, probably the best the 400,000 them lads ever spent:p[/quote]

what % of the great GGA fans that were there last night will head down to Galway to see the Dubs in the next game- anything less than 5k & they would have to be the most fickle fans in world sport

i would like to see what kind of ashow the fukin league of ireland might put on,mind you they have nothing to celebrate,know they couldnt show everything but cant believe they left out ciran careys point against clare in 96? shows what hurling/gaa is all about

There will obviously be more than 5k at that game, whats your point?

Or maurice Fitzs point from the sideline against the dubs

its not that hard to light a few fireworks or to fill a stadium with kids with free tickets

most people in Ireland wouldnt have a fuckin clue about ciaran careys point- hurling is more or less a munster game

[quote=“north county corncrake”]its not that hard to light a few fireworks or to fill a stadium with kids with free tickets

most people in Ireland wouldnt have a fuckin clue about ciaran careys point- hurling is more or less a munster game[/quote]

Its not filing the stadium that’s easy NCC- its having the wherewith all to run an organisation that can afford to fill the stadium and can be bothered to fill it with kids

WBY

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Its not filing the stadium that’s easy NCC- its having the wherewith all to run an organisation that can afford to fill the stadium and can be bothered to fill it with kids

WBY[/quote]not bad for an amateur organisation is it,i know a couple of suposedly professional orginisations in ireland who dont even have their own stadiums,shock horror:)

real hurling didn’t start til the mid 1990s:p…

people paying in to the game yesterday, the director general on 400k a year- how is that an amateur organisation

I was comparing the marketing of the sports. And how a company like the WWE who only really has 30 or 40 years of history can create a powerful montage of it’s history in just over 3 minutes and last night GAA had an opportunity to celebrate the history of the GAA in a similar extended fashion and they blew it.
I was sitting there just before it was about to come on and thinking about how great this will be and that I’m disappointed that I’m not in Dublin so I could record it on my Sky box.

Just like when I was sitting down to watch UFC 92 just after Xmas and I put it on watched the intro and thought to myself “This is gonna be fucking deadly!”.

Video packages are the primary form of advertising for these companies. it can be the same for the GAA. They do some but not enough and the ones they do are hit and miss.

By the way, cage brawling? Are you Joe Duffy in disguise?
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x842h3

My main problem is the fact that it was on last night in the first place. Why have it on after a league match at the end of January as a top up for a match that would have drew 60k or so on it’s own.

The GAA was founded in November…

Why not have it on a balmy evening in May as a standalone event?
Invite all the administrators and volunteers from every corner of the land. Section off Croke park county by county.

Also, your point about Mark O’Leary in a general sense is well made. But if you score 2-1 in an All-Ireland final and win you become part of GAA history.
Can anyone offer up alternatives for the 2001 season. I think I must have been out taking a whizz that season. I remember being at the Galway and KK match and it being half time and saying to my mate “We’re in fucking trouble here”. That’s my only real memory of the 2001 season.

That is basically what I was doing. In the guise of my two female alter egos.

Essentially I am agreeing with you here.
Oh my God, I gagged a little.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]its not that hard to light a few fireworks or to fill a stadium with kids with free tickets

[/quote]

Filling stadiums with kids with free tickets is what the FAI have been doing for years.