GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

I was just going to say Callanan is the one player that’s been shafted here.

4x HOTY Nominations (could easily have won it all 4 times) was absolutely phenomenal stuff and in his pomp he was pretty much untouchable.

2 Likes

He doesn’t appear to understand the positions in hurling.

No back to back.

Questions marks over all those Tipp lads that couldn’t get a back to back.

Its the holy grail

3 Likes

In fairness he was afraid to go into a dark room by himself when he was younger which will always tell against him.

2 Likes

A full back line of Reale Richie McCarthy and Stephen McDonagh would mark them out of it.

Two of the three selectors of the football team were renowned anti Ulster pundits Oisin McConville and Peter Canavan.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: there would be some timbering there.

He played there a bit for portumna but yeah very silly. Agree Carey and McGrath not out and out centre backs like McMahon was but I’d fit both in. Carey midfield anyway. Maybe McGrath centre forward.

Lohan or JJ?

what a fucking question. Jesus. H. Christ

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m asking a man with a serious serious amount of love for Lohan.

His own mother wouldn’t pick him over JJ

4 Likes

Lohan was a more dominant full back. JJ was as good a defender that played the game and his best best position was left half back. It isn’t either or. You put Lohan at 3 and JJ at 7.

2 Likes

Peter Canavan on a stacked Ulster panel selecting himself in the full forward line is still too southern media biased for Fulvio.

I thought that would be the answer alright.

If I was picking a team from the hurlers I have seen play there would be five backs who are a shoe in

Lohan
Ollie Canning
JJ
Brian Whelahan
Tommy Walsh

The sixth would all depend on how you want to configure/position the last three names on the list. Lohan and Canning at full and corner back and you put the other three in the half backline and put someone like Brian Murphy, Sherlock, Mick Kavanagh or a peak Paul Murphy into the team as the second corner back. Sean Finn will get that spot once he retires.

Or you drop JJ back to corner back and put Sean McMahon to centre back.

While I rate Sean McMahon as a true great and a better player than any of those corner backs mentioned, I prefer the first approach which as the three best half backs I have seen in stationed in the half backline - albeit none were ever a centre back, I prefer that fudge rather than putting one into the full backline.

1 Like

I’d concur + Sean Finn

Finn Lohan Canning
Tommy Whelehan Delaney

2 Likes

I find the Skehan goalkeeping selection utterly bizarre. You could have picked half a dozen lads better than him easily.

3 Likes

It’d probably be Murphy, Fitzhenry or Stevie Brenner for me

2 Likes