GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

Gardiner, Curran and Sean Og was also an outstanding line though, one of the best.

Sean Og had plenty of hurling, wasn’t a great striker but he was able to handle the stick.

1 Like

You could put that Clare 1-9 up against any team that played in any era really.

You could not in any way have Doyle ahead of Gardiner if comparing of that era and i do know both players only had fleeting overlaps- compare say the performance Gardiner gave as an attacking half back under a dropping ball in the 2005 all ireland semi final… a player like doyle never performed at that level if it wasnt for the man in the middle and the man behind him he would have been cleaned out… regularly
My general point is that the Clare 95/97 side are vastly overrated, the 95 all ireland was probably one of the poorest in my living memory (ok raise me 96?) , the 97 title was hard won and that was a serious final v Tipperary … however IMHO that Clare team are rated more in terms of folklore, music and nostaglia then overall hurling quality… there is a certain Italia 90 feel to them and any discussion of their legacy is dominated by that social impact rather than say the influence they had on the game of hurling…
In 95 and 97 they beat probably the worst Cork team of all time, as Limerick demonstrated in the Park in 96… and that limerick wexford final was a low benchmark for hurling’s greatest occasion

The Baker , Lynch thing as well… ok we’ve all heard the waffle about Baker and his hero status but he left that pitch in 1999 in Thurles a miserable looking character- Lynch was ran into the ground and lads on here dont exactly value Mark Landers and Mickey O Connell’s fleeting contribution to the sport.

A gas man
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Listen, if you don’t want the Limerick mafia on your back you better watch your step here.

Sure every time Cork lose it’s because it’s the worst Cork team of all time, there can be no other possible explanation for it.

1 Like

not at all but i do think we are realistic in our assessment of our teams and ill quantify that statement by the fact that after Kilkenny beat us in the 1992 AISHC final we only won one (1) game of senior championship hurling between that day and June 13 1999 when we beat Waterford in Thurles… and that was against Kerry in Tralee on the day of the 1995 FA Cup final when Everton cc @Faldo beat Manchester United by one goal to nil at Wembley stadium ( if you recall evertonbeat Tottenham 4-1 in the semi final with Daniel Amokachi on fire)
Anyway… i agree that we were a coming team in 1999- i cant remember if we won a league in 1998 or not ( did waterford beat us?) , but i do know one thing… there was a league semi final in either 97 or 98 when Seanie Mcgrath made a holy show of Anthony Daly… the writing was on the fucking wall then lads…

1 Like

the 1995 MSHC semi final…cork let a clare fella with a broken arm score a wining point or something?
come on lads…ffs

1 Like

That Cork team was made up of lads that won back to back U21s. Generational talent that all arrived on the scene together. Mon won Harty in 94 and CBS in 95. Born winners and leaders.

The current group of U20s is every bit as good imho, maybe better. Cork are coming like a freight train. Once they get the coaching right in the senior set up, and it looks like they have, it is a question of when rather than if we win the all ireland. I’d guess it will happen in 2023 but would not rule out 2022. Cork will dominate for the next decade once that happens.

Ye can book mark this.

6 Likes

Colmans won in 96 too but Kierans sent them home with the tea they owned in a cup or something.

1 Like

Borders made a big difference to Colmans

The Colmans team in 96 was nearly all Cork, Timmy Mc was probably the highest profile afterwards?

Eoin Murphy and James Murray was on that team afaik.

Richie Power?

1 Like

It’d want to be some fucking freight train to derail this Limerick side.

6 Likes

Plus 1

It would and it is.

You forget that Limerick have a few nice players coming through themselves over the next few years.

Time will tell I suppose. In my opinion, it’s a long way off.

1 Like

100 percent and Limerick have structures in place to be a sustainable force. I would love to see what would happen if Kinnerk left. From the outside, he looks the single most important cog in the wheel.

1 Like

If the next man in is clever enough to let it freewheel then they’ll get a bit more out of kinnerk’s methods.

If the next man in wants to implement his own and tear up whats there then it could be damaging

1 Like