GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

Complaining and whining

I thought everyone would know that

The author is an All-Ireland winning Junior manager with Knocknagree

I’d say the above is a key line from the whole thing. He also win it with milltown castlemaine,. Not sure he was opposed to the structure then

Nice to win it sure enough. But being competitive in that competition benefits a few clubs in a massive county every year. Does that override any benefit that might exist in the current championship structure

I don’t know tbh, but that needs to be part of any discussion on the topic surely

Liam Cahill the youngest gaa all star off all time ?

Not sure on exact dates but he’d be among probably a good few that won one the year after being a minor

Any ideas of that list?

Noel McGrath was one and he didnt turn 19 until mid December

1 Like

He must be the youngest so.

Any ideas @Malarkey

Tag yerman doing the best 15s of all the different type of hurlers in the other thread. Eoin Kelly, Tony Kelly also. Mark Coleman maybe? I just remember @sidney calling him the best 19 year old of all time one time

Edit: Actually I’d say Tony Kelly was 20 at the time

Tony Kelly was an U20 in 2013.

Noel McGrath was an U19 in 2009.

So, NMcG, of this duo.

There might well be a few more U19 All Stars. But cannot say, top of head.

Brian Corcoran?

Eoin Kelly was U19 in 2001 – but older than NMcG, because of a January birthday.

Tony Kelly was 19 but going on 20 when he won the all-star in 2013. Born in December 93’ I think. Youngest of Hurler of the year iirc.

Yep. Good call. BC was U19 in 1992. His March birthday means he was older than NMcG.

The fact that NMcG’s birthday is December 17 means it is unlikely he will not remain the youngest All Star.

Corcoran was possibly hurler of the year the same year. And looked about 36.

3 Likes

He was a deserving HOTY in 92.

God he was some corner back,

Indeed… A force of nature.

Had a slightly barked technique but an outstanding hurler.

1 Like

I know ye are talking hurling, but Dermot McNicholl from Derry was 17 when he won his in 1984 (i think)

You’ve doxxed @glenshane

1 Like

Mcnicholl doesn’t have an ulster club medal

2 Likes