GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

it’s only football

1 Like

Shur why would you?

Conor McManus was a far more consistent footballer over a longer period than Shane Walsh

2 Likes

Morley is far more fortunate than Foley in that regard

2 Likes

True for ya

As he’s a full back I would say that’s a pretty good thing

Sean Kelly got rinsed in the final, Foley meanwhile kept Comer scoreless from play

McManus on his best day never came near what Walsh produced in the final this year. I don’t know if McManus ever scored more than 2 or 3 points from play in championship in Croke Park, he was always best at home in Clones.

1 Like

Do you want to retrospectively give Walsh awards for what he’s capable of or what he actually produced?

Over the course of their career McManus has performed much better than Walsh and it’s not even close.

Pints in Slaughtneil tonight for Chrissy.

1 Like

Well deserved

Dont think Chrissy drinks at all.

Most of Slaughtneil are teetotalers.

1 Like

What would be considered the best Croke Park display given by McManus?

I’d say he was decent every time he played there as I’ve hardly ever seen him have a bad game. Obviously nowhere near as good as Walsh was v Kerry but over the course of their careers McManus has been far better.

Imagine telling Fossa people 15 years ago that they’d get 2 All stars in one year

1 Like

Another bit of trivia that I’m looking for,

Has any club had players on both all star teams on the same year? I presume the Barrs back in the day did. Anyone in this millennium?

I think the barrs had five future inter county managers on the one team in 83. Allen, o Grady, Cunningham, meyler and jbm. An incredible stat.

Ballyboden in 2011. Michael Darragh McAuley and Gary McGuire

2 Likes

Aye I’d agree with that. To have 3 All-Stars and never been better than decent in Croke Park is some haul, it’s the hyping up from performances in Clones that won them for him. You might say he won a few Ulster medals when football in the province has been weak enough, but Roscommon have won a single All-star in the last 30 years despite all their Connacht wins in that time. Iv no doubt had Walsh been playing for Monaghan, Derry or Down over the past decade he would have won an All-Star before the age of 29.

1 Like